Re: The Source of Creativity

  • priyadarshan44
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
      Mark,

      your articles are so smooth I could read them for hours.

      May I tell our dearest friend on the Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group,
      that you recently won a very prestigious award in Europe
      for one of your theatrical scripts?

      Thank you!

      priyadarshan

      PS: http://www.markjuddery.com

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, goldenboat27
      <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > A lot of people have asked me to post some more of my articles
      > about Sri Chinmoy Centre activities on the Inspiration Group.
      > (Well okay, ONE person -- but he asked very nicely.) Here's one...
      > Mark
      >

      > THE SOURCE OF CREATIVITY
      >
      > It is a problem faced by most writers: the project is going well,
      > but the ideas stop flowing. The work slows down, and the
      > project you were planning to finish next week suddenly seems
      > years away from completion. We call it "writer's block", but we
      > don't know how to avoid it.
      > Perhaps we should ask Sri Chinmoy, a philosopher, meditation
      > teacher, artist, musician, composer and athlete. As if he doesn't
      > have enough to keep himself busy, he also writes. Prolifically.
      > As I write these few words, he has 1,400 books to his name -
      > and counting. Apart from question-and-answer books (not
      > written per se, but transcribed from discussions), he has
      > published poetry, songs, short stories, essays, plays, joke
      > books (!) and tributes to a range of luminaries including Einstein,
      > Gorbachev and Carl Lewis.
      > Moreover, his work is known (among many literary scholars) for
      > its quality as well as its quantity. Harvard's Professor John
      > Lazzaro, for example, described Sri Chinmoy's poems as
      > "beautiful in their simplicity and profound in their significance."
      > So where does Sri Chinmoy find the time - and more
      > importantly, the endless flow of creative energy - that is required
      > to write so much?
      > As someone raised into a spiritual community in India, he
      > believes it would be "a Himalayan blunder" for him to take the
      > credit for his books. (One book was even titled I am Not the
      > Author.) The writing, he says, comes from a much higher
      > source.
      > Many of us might speak of a "muse", that makes the words flow
      > effortlessly on to the keyboard, but few are willing to give such
      > total credit for their creative output to their "inner pilot", as
      Sri
      > Chinmoy calls it.
      > He acknowledges the role of meditation - a spiritual routine that
      > he has practised since childhood. (He has written several
      > books on that topic, and meditates regularly with diplomats and
      > staff at the United Nations in New York.) "I try to keep my mind
      > as empty, vacant and tranquil as possible," he has explained.
      > "The outer mind is like the surface of the sea, which is full of
      > waves and surges; it is all restlessness. But when we dive deep
      > below, the same sea is all peace, calmness and quiet, and
      > there we find the source of creativity."
      > It seems that spiritual faith indeed makes prolific writers. One
      of
      > Sri Chinmoy's literary heroes, Rabindranath Tagore, also had a
      > background of mysticism. Tagore, who won the 1913 Nobel
      > Prize for Literature, also had a huge output of plays, books, short
      > stories and over 2000 songs. (Schubert, one of the most prolific
      > Western songsmiths, composed about 600.)
      > Among Western writers, perhaps the one who amazes us most
      > with his output is Lope de Vega Carpio, Spain's greatest
      > dramatist. Again, writer's block seemed alien to him, as he
      > wrote 1500 lyric poems and nearly 2000 plays (often writing an
      > entire play in a single day). Educated by Jesuits, Lope was
      > deeply religious for his entire life, and even became a priest at
      > the age of 52. Though perhaps not as disciplined as Chinmoy
      > or Tagore (he had a controversial private life), Lope's devotion is
      > apparent in some of his works.
      > Though religion is not necessary for such bounty, prolific writers
      > - from Dickens to Asimov, from Dumas to Enid Blyton - didn't
      > simply enjoy their craft, but were drawn helplessly to it, seeing
      it
      > as their reason for existence. "I'm a writer," said Harlan
      Ellison,
      > matter-of-factly. "That's what I do." After 50 years of stories,
      > scripts and essays, he is still doing it - and doing it very
      > successfully.
      > At age 72, Sri Chinmoy is also tireless. For him, writing is a
      > divine experience. Writer's block, it would seem, is not
      > something from which he suffers.
    • nayak_ltp
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
        Thanks to Mark and others for the thoughts about writing. One thing
        that I like about the writing of Sri Chinmoy is that it contains more
        than just the meaning and the words. There is something that lingers
        with the words, waiting for the reader, and then it enters into the
        heart. It is as if another dimension--the spiritual dimension--is
        being read at the same time as the many other layers of meaning are
        being absorbed. I find this quality only with the writing of the
        spiritual masters. Other writers may be fascinating or very deeply
        moving, but this quality of starting the heart vibrating and
        providing an intimation of vastness--I find that only with the
        masters.

        Yours,

        Nayak

        Go to srichinmoylibrary.com to experience this.

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > deeply religious for his entire life, and even became a priest at
        > the age of 52. Though perhaps not as disciplined as Chinmoy
        > or Tagore (he had a controversial private life), Lope's devotion is
        > apparent in some of his works.
        > Though religion is not necessary for such bounty, prolific
        writers
        > - from Dickens to Asimov, from Dumas to Enid Blyton - didn't
        > simply enjoy their craft, but were drawn helplessly to it, seeing
        it
        > as their reason for existence. "I'm a writer," said Harlan
        Ellison,
        > matter-of-factly. "That's what I do." After 50 years of stories,
        > scripts and essays, he is still doing it - and doing it very
        > successfully.
        > At age 72, Sri Chinmoy is also tireless. For him, writing is
        > divine experience. Writer's block, it would seem, is not
      • pavaka_cambrian
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
          Mark, thanks for the article. interesting and inspiring. I was just
          saying to myself last night that i felt my diary entries to be
          more flowing and inspired lately. I link it directly to my
          meditation
          practice of almost 9 years now. It is beyond the shadow of a doubt
          that there is an inherent mystical element to any creative process.

          keep up the good work!

          pavaka

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          > deeply religious for his entire life, and even became a priest at
          > the age of 52. Though perhaps not as disciplined as Chinmoy
          > or Tagore (he had a controversial private life), Lope's devotion is
          > apparent in some of his works.
          > Though religion is not necessary for such bounty, prolific
          writers
          > - from Dickens to Asimov, from Dumas to Enid Blyton - didn't
          > simply enjoy their craft, but were drawn helplessly to it, seeing
          it
          > as their reason for existence. "I'm a writer," said Harlan
          Ellison,
          > matter-of-factly. "That's what I do." After 50 years of stories,
          > scripts and essays, he is still doing it - and doing it very
          > successfully.
          > At age 72, Sri Chinmoy is also tireless. For him, writing is
          > divine experience. Writer's block, it would seem, is not
        • katec_nz
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
            Ask a room full of kids whether they sing and they'll all put their
            hands up enthusiastically. Ask the same question to a group of adults
            and they'll shake their heads sheepishly and give you a dumbfounded
            look. You'll get a likewise response when you ask if they are artists
            or actors or sportspeople.

            It seems as if the creativity of life somehow grinds to a halt in a
            person the minute they leave school and enter into the adult world.

            Sri Chinmoy serves as a shining example to his students and to
            humanity itself of the boundless creativity that is nurtured and flows
            forth from the practice of meditation and the spiritual life.

            On Sri Chinmoy's path you really have the opportunity and are in fact
            guided and inspired to become children again. I know I am not alone
            when I say from the bottom of my heart that my life began again when I
            started meditating. Many activities that I took for granted as a child
            and which subsequently subsided as the years wore on, I have been
            encouraged to pursue again with renewed joy and enthusiasm.

            I am truly grateful to Sri Chinmoy for his life of creativity which
            has served as inspiration to millions of child-hearts around the world.

            Gratitude Kate

            To find out more about Sri Chinmoy's path visit
            http://www.srichinmoy.org/html/spirituality/our_path.html

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > entire play in a single day). Educated by Jesuits, Lope was
            > deeply religious for his entire life, and even became a priest at
            > the age of 52. Though perhaps not as disciplined as Chinmoy
            > or Tagore (he had a controversial private life), Lope's devotion is
            > apparent in some of his works.
            > Though religion is not necessary for such bounty, prolific writers
            > - from Dickens to Asimov, from Dumas to Enid Blyton - didn't
            > simply enjoy their craft, but were drawn helplessly to it, seeing it
            > as their reason for existence. "I'm a writer," said Harlan Ellison,
            > matter-of-factly. "That's what I do." After 50 years of stories,
            > scripts and essays, he is still doing it - and doing it very
            > successfully.
            > At age 72, Sri Chinmoy is also tireless. For him, writing is a
            > divine experience. Writer's block, it would seem, is not
          • bhuvah_nz
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
              Yes absolutely Nayak. I actually did not like poetry at all until I
              discovered Sri Chinmoy's poetry many years ago - I surprised myself
              by just how exquisite I found it to be. And so much to relate to.
              The same with his writing. I remember learning to meditate and
              finding reading "Meditation, Man-Perfection in God-Satisfaction" far
              more significant an inner experience than my personal efforts to
              meditate. The heart responds to the words with a feeling like
              drinking nectar...
              Maybe you will have a similar experience...
              http://www.srichinmoy.org/html/spirituality/meditation/meditation_int
              ro.html
              In joy,
              Bhuvah

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nayak_ltp

            • goldenboat27
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2003
                Pavaka, I was going through my own diary entries the other day,
                dating back several years -- to the days before I meditated! I
                used to write very long diary entries back then, every day, usually
                talking about how confused I was (and occasionally about
                bananas -- I used to love bananas).

                Since I started meditating, they entries have been much more
                cheery (as you'd expect). Also, they are no longer daily (though
                they're still lengthy). Quite simply, my words don't do justice to
                the experiences of meditation-life. Comparing the early and
                more recent entries, they read like they were written by another
                person entirely.

                (I still like bananas, though.)

                Mark