Big Sports Events

  • mrinalicc
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      Jamini's note about the Superbowl in Seattle prompts me to mention the
      Australian Tennis Open in Melbourne recently. Last weekend was the
      final, and I don't usually follow tennis, but my heart was captivated
      by the young 20 year old from Cyprus, Marcos Baghdatis, who having
      been sent off to France at the age of 13 or 14 to a tennis academy,
      and suffering terribly with homesickness for it, came through as a
      most unexpected finalist in the men's section. His big personality,
      openness and sweet innocent nature was irresistable, and he gained
      himself a huge following among the local Greeks and the rest of the
      Australians as well. He unexpectedly beat three top ten seeds to get
      to the final, but was then up against the No. 1, Swiss Roger Federer.
      Federer, who usually seems such a cold fish, was so encouraging and
      complimentary to Marcos, and then broke down with the emotion of the
      occasion at the presentation ceremony, where he was presented with the
      trophy by Rod Laver himself. It was all so exciting, and very moving.
      All in all it was a big heart event, and it seemed that both were
      winners in the inner world!

      Mrinali