The Perfect Day

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2005
      The Perfect Day

      Last Tuesday I enjoyed a day full of adventure with several friends. After a morning of
      intense meditation, we headed off on a daytrip to see a reclining Buddha statue inside a
      cave and to visit a waterfall. Our first stop took us to the hotel next door to where I am
      staying so that a friend could change. As we waited in the taxi outside that hotel, I jumped
      out of the car and wandered to and fro on rainbow chasing detail because there was a
      mixture of sun and rain happening. Since it is the rainy season, it usually rains for a while
      every day. Generally speaking, I had the sense that the stormy skies were too thick to
      encourage the sighting of rainbows even if there were spots of clearing. While waiting to
      leave, I naturally could not resist skyward glances nonetheless.

      Despite no rainbow appearance, we were in high spirits and the tenor of our adventure
      quickly encompassed multiple stops along the way to photograph animals near the road.
      Once our taxi driver understood our predilections, he pulled over frequently and helped us
      spot all manner of animals. We took photos of sheep, cows and monkeys, all just from the
      rolled down window of the car. The driver also pointed out various kinds of fruit trees that
      do not exist in America – I cannot remember the name of the tree species. Seeing monkeys
      on the guardrail and utility poles by the road was great fun! We were definitely taking the
      "local stop" approach to our two sightseeing attractions but the leisurely pace invited a
      very contented serene atmosphere.

      When we finally arrived at the outcropping of rock that contained the cave, before us stood
      a seemingly endless ascent of steep stairs up the cliff. We were hardly prepared for what
      awaited us. For the non-athletic ones among our group, it was our own version of Mt.
      Everest. Up, up, up! At one point, we guessed that we climbed more stairs than what we
      entertained once on the Great Wall in China last year. Finally, we arrived at the cave. Then
      the driver who accompanied us made everyone put on gloves because of the germs from
      bats and such that are inside the cave. We walked through a very dark and dripping cave
      with the noise of bats off in the shadows. After a rather long walk through the cave itself,
      at last we encountered the sleeping Buddha statue. It is located in a spot that receives a
      spotlight of sunlight from an opening very high up at certain times of the day. The statue
      itself was built in the 1950's. It also contains several other smaller shrines and statues,
      including a Shiva lingam.

      Since what goes up must come down, this stage of our adventure was not over until we
      retraced our steps back down from the cave to the entrance of this Buddhist temple.
      Making this journey in the tropical heat was rather trying. Some of us had never been in
      such a large cave ever before so it was a fascinating experience all the same.

      Driving away back through a palm oil fruit plantation, we marveled at the view of a
      veritable forest of palm trees. Shortly later, we arrived at the waterfall. This location
      includes several spots for swimming and even camping. First you walk along a river and
      make your way through the woods along the river. You pass a rope-type bridge and then
      come to a small pool with the waterfall spilling into it. It's absolutely stunning and the
      sound of the rushing water is electrifying. Only one of us had come prepared to swim but
      as we watched people frolicking in the waterfall it was irresistible. Off came the shoes, and
      fully clothed we dived in.

      We leaned back against the waterfall's descent against the rocks and shrieked with
      delight. It felt like receiving a massage or taking a Jacuzzi times 100. With my glasses off, I
      exclaim that the waterfall just seemed to get even stronger but in fact it had started to
      rain fairly heavily. Our driver and the others took shelter under a little overhang and
      drenched to the skin I joined them. We patiently waited with others there for swimming for
      the rain to let up since we had our cameras and other odds and ends that we didn't want
      to get wet. Once again the sun came out even though it was raining. One person had an
      umbrella and with that sheltering my camera I was back in rainbow chasing mode. We
      stood on the bridge that swayed to and fro as one walks on it and looked for rainbows. No
      luck! With the rain stopped completely, it was at last time to depart.

      Our driver brings many people to the waterfalls so he was prepared with plastic to put on
      the car seats to protect from our wetness. For the first time since arriving, the thought of
      air conditioning was abhorrent. We made our way home with it off and the windows rolled
      down. Almost immediately after pulling out from the waterfall, the driver found a rainbow
      off to the right. In the blink of an eye, I leapt from the car to photograph it. Both he and
      one of our friends from Singapore emphasized that a rainbow sighting is a rather rare
      occurrence. It seemed that my determined hunt was rewarded – ask and you shall receive!

      Having absolutely adored swimming in the waterfall, we truly felt that this had been a
      most perfect day. On our way home, we stopped to visit a Taoist temple that our driver
      belongs to. He explained a great deal to us about the statues and such. Our day drew to a
      close with great reluctance, as we had to get back in time for a dinner counting shift at the
      hotel.

      This perfect and happy day seemed full to overflowing – adventurous climbing into a cave,
      the playfulness of the waterfall cascade, the whisper of a rainbow, the spirit of the Taoist
      temple, and the nature panorama. Which moment shines forth as the crowning
      experience? the healing flow of the waterfall? the opportunity to finally take pictures of all
      the animals that we had been seeing when in the car? the rainbow since I dearly love them?
      No. The shining moment in this perfect day resided inside the revolution of a motorized
      bike's wheel as it silently proceeded through the hotel lobby. During a spontaneous
      meditation, which began as we were in the middle of a play practice in the lobby, my heart
      was overpowered with an explosion of inner sweetness as I imagined a vision of the dust
      of the dust of the dust of God's Feet scattering in the path of this bike's wheel.

      For me, God's Feet symbolize the place where Heaven and Earth meet. I imagine they
      embody the very essence of forgiveness and unconditional love. The contemplation of
      even the dust of God's Feet was indeed the supernal moment of this most perfect day.
      What a wonderful opportunity to taste such varied adventures with the remembrance of
      God as the core undercurrent flowing through each and every happy moment.

      I will of course add some photos of these adventures when I have the time. I go home the
      day after tomorrow so time will tell how quickly the visuals get included.

      Sharani
    • suchana27
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2005
        Hi Sharani!

        Thank you so much for your fantastic and detailed descriptions in the
        East!
        I have just seen some of your colourful photos and liked the Temples
        series a lot!

        Happy New Year! :))
        Suchana