Re: One "L" or Two

  • pavitrata27
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 29, 2005
      Madam,

      Ah, well, so now you know. Configuring your laptop for a LAN setup
      can be tricky, especially if you have an existing connection set up,
      which Outlook Express for example would look for unless you
      specifically told Outlook Express to use your new LAN connection.

      Colonel? After some research I discovered:

      Colonel is a perfect illustration of how the spellings and
      pronunciations of some English words can come to diverge. The
      culprit, as is often the case, is the word's etymology. Oddly enough,
      English took this word from Middle French in two forms--coronel
      (borrowed around 1550) and colonel (borrowed in the early 1580s).
      Both of these French forms were derived from Italian
      colonnello 'little column', and were so named because such an officer
      traditionally led the first little column at the head of a regiment.

      The spelling with r was the result of dissimilation, the process by
      which a speech sound tends to become different from, or at least less
      like, a neighboring sound. This process can be seen, for example, in
      the word purple, where the l was originally an r in the Old English
      word purpure. The influence of dissimilation can be heard currently
      in the common English pronunciation of February as "FEB-yoo-er-ee,"
      in which the first "r" sound, difficult to say so close to the
      following one, becomes a "y."

      The form coronel prevailed until the middle of the 17th century, when
      it disappeared in writing but not in speech. The written form with
      middle l, a closer reflection of the Italian, was increasingly
      favored in literary works, both in England and in France.
      Pronunciations for both English forms, however, ("kol-uh-NEL" or "KUL-
      nel" for one, and "kor-uh-NEL" or "KUR-nel" for the other) survived
      until the early 19th century, when the pronunciation "KUR-nel," from
      which the middle unstressed syllable had fallen away, came to
      predominate. This pronunciation, derived from coronel, is the one
      that has persisted, while the spelling colonel has become the written
      standard. Hence the confusion.

      The lexicographer John Walker (1732-1807) is quoted in The Oxford
      Dictionary of English Etymology (1966) as saying about colonel, "This
      word is among those gross irregularities which must be given up as
      incorrigible.

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

      Re your condition: as I well know from a childhood spent around palm
      trees and water, I am all too familiar with the disease that
      follows. I believe is is known as the manana syndrome.

      In the aspiring life it manifests in the following lethal attitudes:

      I will pray manana.
      I will meditate manana.
      I will run manana.
      I will take care of business manana.
      I will eat now.
      I will sleep soon after.

      So.....now you know.
      Kernel Blimp

      In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Colonel,
      >
      > Ofcourse your suggestion would have been the easiest and most
      > sensible thing to do. But who knew that I could not simply get a
      > connection from the Sony Vaio through the ethernet cable at the
      > internet cafe (minus the cafe since there was nothing but a dark
      > room with lots of computers). Here I was ready to send some
      emails -
      > including one that was particularly long and the cable did not
      work!
      > I should have gone right then and there and bought a USB memory
      > stick. Instead I furiously retyped everything (since I had to get
      > back to the hotel at a certain time), proofread nothing I had
      > retyped (yikes) and ended up with my previously broken wrist
      feeling
      > very sore. But palm trees and water have taken over my brain and I
      > cannot come up with sensible solutions like the one you offered. I
      > cannot even keep track of my shoes!
      >
      > Everyone is well especially after some exquisite performances of
      > both bhajans at an Indian Temple followed by two nights of
      Christmas
> [...]
      > also
      > > save on paid-for time at the internet cafe.
      > >
      > > As to the controversy surrounding the veracity of the double L -
      > two
      > > words: Bah, humbug!
      > >
      > > I trust good health and good cheer abound with you and yours, etc.
      > >

      > > Colonel Blimp
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dear Col. Blimp,
      > > >
      > > > I repeat - blame Microsoft Word. Try typing the
      > word 'travelling'
      > > > and see what happens. :-) Microsoft Word will steal your
      > > second 'l'.
      > > > So if you have a spelling weakness as I do, you would just
      > assume
      > > > that Microsoft Word knows how to spell and go with it. If you
      > wish
      > > > to go to the trouble of trying to add that second 'l' that is
      > all
      > > > fine and good. For poor me, I do not even know if the
      > > > word 'misspell' should have one or two 's's' though it seems
      > that
      > > > two 's's is correct.
      > > >
      > > > I do have with me a small Sony Vaio - a half screen computer
      > that
      > > my
      > > > brother kindly gave me loaded with Microsoft Word. This is
      > indeed
      > > > handy since I have not come across any dictionaries here.
      > > > However, after typing a long letter into Microsoft Word on
      > > > this computer and thinking I could access the internet and
      > merely
      > > cut
      > > > and paste the letter into my email, I found as Sharani has
      > stated
      > > > that the internet connections are spotty at best in the hotel
      > for
      > > > laptops.
      > > >
      > > > I took my computer to the internet cafe at the local mall.
      > After
      > > > much fiddling and help from some computer experts in the center
      > who
      > > > had also given up on the hotel and were in the cafe, I still
      > could
      > > > not get a connection. I had to retype the entire thing onto a
      > > > computer at the internet cafe. As of now, I will have to live
      > with
      > > > my poor spelling as I am not going to use my computer with
      > > Microsoft
      > > > Word anymore. Besides, according to the better english
      speaking
      > > > Brits, American english is appalling (Is that two 'p's and
      > > two 'l's?)
      > > > so why would I want to trust Microsoft Word anyway?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks to Abinabha I at least have a decent Oxford dictionary
      at
      > > home.
      > > > And speaking of Abinabha, he wrote and performed in his
      spotless
      > > > english, a very funny play based on the news.

      heated)
      > > > imagine, the
      > > ways
      > > > of