My First Visit to a Hindu Temple in an Asian Country

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2005
      Merry Christmas and hello:

      Recently I did some sightseeing as part of my vacation which took me to visit two active
      local Hindu temples and two active Buddhist temples. I have previously visited Buddhist
      temples when I travelled to China last year but this trip marks my first visit to an elaborate
      Hindu temple in an Asian country -- I cannot call it the absolutely first visit because I have
      visited some Hindu temples in New York City as well.

      I was deeply impressed with the detail and ornate decorations at the Hindu temples. The
      larger temple is to the goddess Amman. I was lucky enough to attened a nighttime pooja
      (puja) ceremony there complete with much ritual and decorations of fresh jasmine flowers
      hanging down from the ceiling and adorned in the women's hair.

      The second smaller temple dedicated to the Hindu Elephant God Ganesh is affiliated with
      the first one and processions occur from one to the other. I did not attend a pooja at this
      temple but a priest present kindly agreed to be photographed and he turned on a machine
      which makes music they play during poojas. I have included a photo of this.

      I got so entranced in taking photographs that a prayerful attitude was not paramount I
      must confess. I guess as a tourist I need two visits to such venues - one as a sightseer and
      one as a seeker of God in all religions.

      I've created a sub-album of my Latest Travels album at http://tinyurl.com/d4pak with an
      abundance of photos as a work in progress. I haven't even started working yet on the
      Buddhist temple pictures, just having concentrated on the two Hindu temples to start. I'll
      write a little about the Buddhist temples when there are accompanying photographs. You'll
      hopefully indulge my excessive enthusiasm if you are more familiar than I am with the
      world of Hindu temples. I was so excited to experience them seriously for the first time
      ever that I had trouble restraining myself. Ah well, I guess I'm vying for huge quantities of
      material in my gallery album. Hope it's somehow interesting to my friends back home and
      elsewhere.

      Sharani
      p.s. the day after I went to a Hindu pooja I was immersed in Christmas Eve invoking of
      Christ and beautiful sacred Christmas music. Indeed my chosen path is all-embracing of
      every manner of form that worship of the highest might take.

      p.p.s. on the laptop I'm using I don't have a browser loaded that does nice line returns on
      messages so I offer many apologies for the disjointed reading experience. I tried one day
      to download Firefox and of course was promptly kicked off the Internet. Its establishment
      in this country seems quaint at best.