Sri Chinmoy's Favorite Christmas Carol

  • parashita7
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2005
      On a previous Christmas trip, Sri Chinmoy told his students that his
      favorite Christmas carol is "Silent Night". This was important for me
      to learn, as I have come to take most Christmas carols for granted
      after hearing them for years of Christmases. Now I hear "Silent Night"
      with new ears and am grateful for its deep beauty and simplicity.
    • kayeboat
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2005
        Parashita:

        Did you know there is a Silent Night Chapel in Austria where the
        carol was composed?

        Every, on Christmas Eve, December 24, a special passenger train
        pulled by a bright red electric locomotive heads out of the train
        station in Salzburg for a half hour trip to the village of
        Oberndorf. A multitude of languages can be heard as passengers from
        all over the globe become Christmas pilgrims, heading for the
        birthplace of the world's best loved Christmas carol "Silent Night."
        The hillside around the Silent Night Chapel is lit by candles and
        lanterns held by people who are celebrating the hymn of heavenly
        peace.

        Christmas Day is the first day of Christmas and the 12th day is Jan.
        5 followed by the Epiphany on Jan. 6 when the decorations are taken
        down. Kings Cake is traditionally served around the world,
        including the Mardi Gras, on Jan. 6.
        Kaye

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, parashita7
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > On a previous Christmas trip, Sri Chinmoy told his students that
        his
        > favorite Christmas carol is "Silent Night". This was important
        for me
        > to learn, as I have come to take most Christmas carols for granted
        > after hearing them for years of Christmases. Now I hear "Silent
        Night"
        > with new ears and am grateful for its deep beauty and simplicity.

      • suchana27
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
          Dear Parashita,

          Could you kindly write the lyrics of that carol?
          I know its music quite well but I´d like to see whether it is similar
          to the Spanish versions I remember. What a peaceful carol it is!

          Happy Days,
          Suchana

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > On a previous Christmas trip, Sri Chinmoy told his students that
          his
          > favorite Christmas carol is "Silent Night". This was important for
          me
          > to learn, as I have come to take most Christmas carols for granted
          > after hearing them for years of Christmases. Now I hear "Silent
          Night"
          > with new ears and am grateful for its deep beauty and simplicity.

        • sarah_inseattle
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 15, 2005
            Dear Kaye,

            I never heard that! How lovely! Thank you for sharing the story.

            At our centre in Seattle, we sang Silent Night to close our Christmas
            meditation last year. It was very moving for me, powerfully uniting
            my past and my present in a warm glow of peace and contentment.

            Gratitude,
            Sarah

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kayeboat

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 15, 2005
              Hi Suchana,
              Here are the lyrics to "Silent Night":

              "Silent night, holy night
              All is calm, all is bright
              Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
              Holy Infant so tender and mild
              Sleep in heavenly peace
              Sleep in heavenly peace

              Silent night, holy night
              Shepherds quake at the sight
              Glories stream from heaven afar
              Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
              Christ, the Saviour is born
              Christ, the Saviour is born

              Silent night, holy night
              Son of God, love's pure light
              Radiant beams from Thy holy face
              With the dawn of redeeming grace
              Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
              Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth "

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, suchana27

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 15, 2005
                Dear Kaye,
                You have taken me back to my wonderful childhood. My parents and I
                visited Salzburg and Oberndorf when my Dad was stationed in Germany.
                It seems fitting that a Silent Night was composed in Austria and that
                there is a Silent Night chapel there. I remember the lands in that
                area as being the best places for Christmas. Froelige Weinachten!
                (hope that's correct)
                Parashita

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 16, 2005
                  Dear Kaye,

                  This is a nice story to learn for I always believed the sweet Silent
                  Night carol came from Britain!
                  You know, an Austrian disciple phoned me when I was not at home a few
                  days ago. She said she is visiting Argentina. Maybe we can sing
                  this carol together soon! :)

                  In oneness-joy,
                  Suchana

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
                    Hi Parashita,

                    Thank you for your quick answer! We had a cute international group
                    meditation last Saturday when we sang this carol with a Japanese
                    disciple from Austria.

                    In Spanish we usually sing only one strophe which lyrics are
                    slightly different:

                    ´Night of Peace, night of Love
                    everything sleeps all around.
                    Amongst angels spreading their light,
                    Little Jesus comes announcing,
                    Shines the star of Peace,
                    Shines the star of Peace.´

                    Happy New Year!
                    Suchana

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                    > Hi Suchana,
                    > Here are the lyrics to "Silent Night":
                    >
                    > "Silent night, holy night
                    > All is calm, all is bright
                    > Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
                    > Holy Infant so tender and mild
                    > Sleep in heavenly peace
                    > Sleep in heavenly peace
                    >
                    > Silent night, holy night
                    > Shepherds quake at the sight
                    > Glories stream from heaven afar
                    > Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
                    > Christ, the Saviour is born
                    > Christ, the Saviour is born
                    >
                    > Silent night, holy night
                    > Son of God, love's pure light
                    > Radiant beams from Thy holy face
                    > With the dawn of redeeming grace
                    > Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
                    > Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth "
                    >

                    > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, suchana27
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dear Parashita,
                    > >
                    > > Could you kindly write the lyrics of that carol?
                    > > I know its music quite well but I´d like to see whether it is
                    > similar
                    > > to the Spanish versions I remember. What a peaceful carol it is!
                    > >
                    > > Happy Days,
                    > > Suchana
                    > >
                    > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, parashita7
                    > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > On a previous Christmas trip, Sri Chinmoy told his students
                    that
                    > > his
                    > > > favorite Christmas carol is "Silent Night". This was
                    important
                    > for
                    > > me
                    > > > to learn, as I have come to take most Christmas carols for
                    > granted
                    > > > after hearing them for years of Christmases. Now I
                    hear "Silent
                    > > Night"
                    > > > with new ears and am grateful for its deep beauty and
                    simplicity.

                  • parashita7
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
                      Dear Suchana,
                      I love the international oneness you have mentioned. Thank you for
                      telling the delightful Spanish lyrics for this carol. Happy New Year!
                      Parashita