Defining Moments

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      When someone enters into the circle dance with God, a dictionary of
      defining moments unfolds. The seeker experiences some defining moment
      that opens up the very existence of God into his/her life. Sri Chinmoy
      uses a vivid image of words and realities being written in gold
      letters on the tablet of our hearts. Thus, I imagine this dictionary
      resides in our spiritual hearts. Inner experiences, moments of
      spiritual union and sweet lessons build one upon another into defining
      moments of our existence.

      This afternoon a palette of light, clouds and even a few random acts
      of snowflakes strode past my window. If I turned from my work, each
      view out of the window brought a different play of sun, clouds and
      sky. I was lost in a reverie of Monet's haystacks and the notion that
      I could happily spend hours just watching how the progressing light of
      the day paints masterpiece after masterpiece - all for free!

      At one moment, the sun was mostly shining yet something barely
      perceptible was falling from the sky. I looked more closely and some
      very light snow was falling. I was off to test the theory of whether
      or not sun and snow could create rainbows. I think not but the sky was
      alive with blue, pink, grey, mauve, white and black.

      The flakes of snow were so infrequent that one doubted their true
      existence. Acts of mercy and goodness from others and God perhaps
      suffer the same fate as they are overshadowed by the ubiquitous
      suffering and injustice in the world.

      But both are true regardless of their sometimes faint expression. And
      they led me to ponder defining moments of who God is for each and
      every traveler on pilgrimage to divinity. One time Sri Chinmoy said
      {unofficial} "My name is my Lord's Forgiveness" and in the endless
      expressions of unconditional forgiveness, which for me is perhaps the
      greatest defining reality of God, then I felt this word is more my
      name than even the spiritual name given to me by Sri Chinmoy. For my
      journey could not even exist without that initial spark of forgiveness
      that offers the biggest bum business deal of all time from God's point
      of view. God's Light and Love in exchange for my hurt, fear and all
      other varieties of ignorance. Even the seed of an inner cry hid from
      me for years and I fall down as often as I walk forward. Therefore, I
      would probably choose the word forgiveness if asked to define who and
      what God is.

      What are your defining moments? I'm sure that just as we have
      completely unique fingerprints our definitions of God would likely
      straddle the vastness and universality that He/She encompasses.

      Now the sun sets. Even though these moments pass in a fleeting
      instant, I hope we can memorize them at least inside the tablet of our
      hearts and tell their stories to every soul hungry for divinity.