Re: Musings of a health freak [L-Carnitine]

  • do_slava
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2005
      I thought I'd have my two-cents worth of contribution to the coconut
      oil and L-Carnitine discussion.

      1. A healthy body synthesizes on its own sufficient amounts of L-
      carnitine and most of it is reused (only a small portion is released
      from the body). Even strict vegetarians are generally able to
      produce sufficient amounts of L-carnitine.

      2. L-carnitine from food sources has a much higher rate of
      assimilation when compared to dietary supplements.

      3. Higher intakes of L-carnitine do not appear to boost athletic
      performance (based on limited research to-date).

      4. Vegetarian sources with high content of L-carnitine (in
      descending order of importance) are whole milk, ice cream, avocado,
      American cheese, whole-wheat bread and asparagus.

      For more information on L-Carnitine and other research on nutrition,
      you can visit

      http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/carnitine/index.html

      Slava

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, viddyut82
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > In my days at a health food store, I recall a product by a company
      > called Twinlab which put out an item called MCT oil.
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mark and Smarana,
      > > Thank you for that valuable nutritional information. I would
      like to
      > > know what you mean by coconut oil. Is it the same as coconut
      water or
      > > juice? Where do you get the pure oil? Do you drink it alone or
      with
      > > food? Does it have to be processed in a certain way or in
      organic form?

      > > I imagine I could get these answers at the health food store but
      > > thought I would ask you guys what you know first so as to share
      them
      > > with all the readers who may be wondering the same things.
      > > Thanks again and don't hesitate to offer more valuable
      nutritional
      > > information.
      > >
      > > I recently have been trying sublingual form of vitamin b12 with
      Folic
      > > acid. One pill a day is good enough to supply the very valuable
      > > vitamins B12 and Folic acid which are sometimes lacking in
      vegetarian
      > > diets. In this sublingual form, which means letting it melt
      under your
      > > tongue, it is more readily and completely absorbed by the body.
      It's
      > > benefits are numerous but you should look it up to get more
      specific
      > > details about that. It seems to be helping in terms of endurance
      and
      > > flexibility, unless it is my imagination, which may be just as
      good.

      > > Gratefully,
      > > Arpan
      > >

      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, smarana31
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Mark,
      > > > thank you for your posting. Especially the L-carnitine thing
      is
      > > > something that I was not aware of.
      > > > I have tried coconut oil and olive oil for the race, but it is
      very
      > > > difficult to use in big quantities (200ml and more per day).
      It
      > > > gives excellent energy but still you have the non MCTs
      > > > mixed with the other fatty-acids. If you drink 100ml at once,
      you
      > > > have a very nice sensation in the gall bladdern and liver.
      > > > There is a pure version with just MCTs, that is derived mostly
      from
      > > > coconuts, and that is more or less tasteless and soluble in
      water.
      > > > I used it once in the race, but unfortunately it is not cheap.
      > > > It is used in special diets; when there is a malabsorption of
      fats.
      > > > Good training
      > > > Smarana
      > > >
      > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, markhoogakker