Contemporary answers

  • melinda_geelong
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2005
      I was reading an article yesterday that quite amazed me and also pleased me. Admittedly it was published in a alternative newspaper and not the mainstream news which would have completely blown me away, but I was nonetheless impressed by the content.

      In a nutshell, the author, an ex drug addict turned therapist, discusses modern solutions to old problems based upon a spiritual approach to life. He quotes the ancient Chinese sages as saying that contemporary problems require contemporary formulae and goes on to suggest that parents of children suffering drug related problems can really only survive the ordeal and help them by modelling a good lifestyle themselves.

      As a survivor himself he goes on to describe his own spiritual awakening and how he has discovered that the world that addicts seek is quite attainable through wholly healthy and wholesome endeavours like meditation and spirituality. He describes the silent communication that they have during drug states and how it is not necessary to talk at all when using drugs. As one whom has experienced both options for this silent type of existence he now advocates spiritual pursuits as an answer to the higher realities that these deluded souls seek. He teaches parents and addicted children how to meditate and lead healthy upwardly mobile lives. The mainstream advice to talk to your children about drugs, he says, is completely wrong and destined to make the situation worse as not much good comes from talking.

      I say hear, hear.

      As seekers, this is nothing new to us, but I am encouraged that this type of philosophy is being advocated and even more so into such a needy sector of the community in such a positive way. The amusing thing is his description of spirituality as a contemporary answer when in fact it is one of the oldest birthrights of human existence. Nevertheless the meaning is not lost. If we focus on our own spiruality we are less likely to be absorbed or affected by the lives of others.

      I am reminded every day, in one way or another, how fortunate I am to have a spiritual master like Sri Chinmoy. It would be quite a desert of peril without his loving guidance through life. His prolific writings offer countless lifesavers to me in the sea of ignorance. I have only to pick up one of his books to lighten my burdens and meditate on his inspiring words to feel completely safe and free.

      If not for Sri Chinmoy providing such a wonderful opportunity for me to grow and expand into a higher reality, who knows that I may well have been one of those seeking therapy.

      There but for the grace of God go I!