Core Collection - On the Way to 100 titles/series

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
      Here is a list on the way to a humble attempt to choose the
      best/favorite 100 titles/series from Sri Chinmoy's writings. Thanks to
      all who added suggestions (Dharmaja, Suchana, Terri, Niriha, Sarah,
      Mark, Purnakama, Snehashila). In the spirit of keeping it a communal
      effort, I added most of these suggestions to the list (some were
      already there) even if I haven't personally read them. This draft is
      still 19 shy of 100 so maybe some more reactions will push us over the
      top. My decision to count a multivolume series as one "title" for the
      purposes of this list is intended to help in giving the bird's eye
      view of Sri Chinmoy's prolific writings. Since many are bestsellers
      within the canon, I did include compilations culled from multiple
      sources by various editors - for instance "The Wisdom of Sri Chinmoy"
      from Blue Dove Press. I apologize for not linking this post as a
      thread to earliers on this topic but it's going to be rather long even
      standing on its own. I broke it down into broad categories and
      alphabetized the titles in order to sidestep the further ranking that
      I attempted in the top 20 list. Here goes:

      Possible Core Collection 100 Titles/Series

      POEMS/APHORISMS CATEGORY

      1. The Caged Bird and the Uncaged Bird

      2. The Dance of Life (closed poetry series)

      3. Europe-Blossoms

      4. The Golden Boat (closed poetry series)

      5. Here Is the Place : Selected Poems

      6. My First Friendship with the Muse (written in India prior to 1964)

      7. My Flute

      8. My Lord's Secrets Revealed

      9. The New Millennium

      10. Poems of Sri Chinmoy. English/Hindi

      11. Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees (active series)

      12. Silence Speaks (closed series)

      13. Songs of the Soul

      14. Sri Chinmoy's Heart Garden : a book of Aphorisms for Joy and
      Inspiration

      15. Ten Thousand Flower-Flames (closed poetry series)

      16. Transcendence-Perfection (843 poems completed in 24 hours)

      17. Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants (closed poetry series)

      18. Two God-Amusement-Rivals: My Heart-Song-Beauty And My
      Life-Dance-Fragrance (1,301 poems completed in 24 hours)

      19. Two Thirsty Eyes

      20. The Wings of Light (closed poetry series)

      DAILY MEDITATIONS

      21. Heart-Songs : Everyday prayers & meditations

      22. Meditations : Food for the Soul

      23. My Daily Heart-Blossoms

      24. My Evening Descends

      25. My Life's Soul-Journey : Daily Meditations for Ever-Increasing
      Spiritual Fulfillment

      26. My Morning Begins

      PLAYS

      27. Descent of the Blue

      28. Drink, Drink My Mother's Nectar : a book of spiritual plays

      29. My Rama is My All

      30. The Sacred Fire

      31. Siddhartha becomes the Buddha : a book of spiritual plays

      32. The Son

      QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

      33. Flame Waves (closed series)

      34. Sri Chinmoy Answers (active series)

      35. Sri Chinmoy Speaks (closed series)

      PRAYER SERIES

      36. My Christmas-New Year-Vacation-Aspiration Prayers (active series)

      37. My Morning Soul-Body Prayers (closed series?)

      38. My Race Prayers (active series)

      STORIES

      39. Garden of the Soul : Lessons on Living in Peace, Happiness and
      Harmony

      40. Great Indian Meals : Divinely Delicious and Supremely Nourishing
      (closed series)

      41. India and Her Miracle-Feast (closed series)

      42. Is Your Mind Ready to Cry? Is Your Heart Ready to Smile? (closed
      series)

      43. Life's Bleeding Tears and Flying Smiles (closed Series)

      44. Run and Become, Become and Run (closed series)

      GENERAL (INCLUDES COMPILATIONS)

      45. Angels

      46. Assurance and Dependence

      47. Astrology, the Supernatural and the Beyond

      48. Beyond Within : A Philosophy for the Inner Life

      49. Child's Heart and a Child's Dreams: Growing Up With Spiritual
      Wisdom a Guide for Parents and Children

      50. Colour Kingdom

      51. Commentaries on the Vedas, the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita :
      the Three Branches of India's Life Tree

      52. Death & Reincarnation : Eternity's Voyage

      53.Diana, Princess of Wales, Diana, Empress of the World

      54. Disobedience, Time is Up!

      55. The Divine Hero

      56. Everest-Aspiration

      57. Fifty Oneness-Heart-Songs of a Perfect God and a Perfect Child

      58. The Garland of Nation-Souls : Complete Talks at the United Nations

      59. God Is : Selected Writings of Sri Chinmoy

      60. The God of the Mind

      61. God the Supreme Musician

      62. God was simply shocked

      63. Gorbachev : the Master-Key of the Universal Heart

      64. Happiness

      65. Inner and Outer Peace

      66. The Inner Promise : paths to self-perfection

      67. Kundalini : the Mother-Power

      68. Light of the Beyond

      69. The Master and the Disciple

      70. Meditation : Man-Perfection in God-Satisfaction

      71. My Meditation-Service at the United Nations for 25 Years

      72. Mother India's Lighthouse : India's Spiritual Leaders

      73. Mother Teresa : Humanity's Flower-Heart, Divinity's Fragrance-Soul

      74. Never Grow Old

      75. The Oneness of the Eastern Heart and the Western Mind, pts. 1-3

      76. The Outer Running and the Inner Running

      77. The Summits of God-Life : Samadhi and Siddhi

      78. A True Disciple

      79. Yoga and the Spiritual Life : the Journey of India's Soul

      80. The Wings of Joy : Finding Your Path to Inner Peace

      81. The Wisdom of Sri Chinmoy

      Well I better hit send quickly now since my first draft of this
      message nicely crashed when I got stuck in a second Firefox tabbed
      window. Hope to hear how your list would be similar or different!

      Sharani
    • morrisklein27
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2005
        Dear friends,

        I am very happy and excited to announce the publication of Inspiration-
        Letters II on the Sri Chinmoy Centre site.

        You can find it at:

        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/inspiration-letters/

        I am extremely grateful to everyone who contributed articles and/or
        assisted in the creation of this edition.

        Many, many, many thanks to Sumangali, for the gorgeous site.

        Sincerely,

        Morris Klein
        editor
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2005
          Shirley it just popped into my head that you also had favorite book
          suggestions and I neglected to include them. Can you remind me again
          which titles you keep by your bedside and if any of them are not in
          the list of the 81 that follows below?

          Off board I had a recommendation for the book called The Quintessence
          of Knowledge-Sun which would be an addition in the Question and Answer
          category. It is full text online so I will have to turn the pages :-)
          and see what it offers.

          As I left Annam Brahma today, someone paid me a real compliment. She
          said that whenever she sees me she thinks of reading a book. I don't
          know if she even reads the Inspiration Group to have this impression
          but I thought to myself that's certainly a perfect compliment for
          Sharani the Librarian. By the way, many moons ago I remember watching
          "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time ever at a function and
          nearly burst out in laughter when the awful fate of the wife would
          have been to become a spinster librarian if her husband had never
          lived :-) What a fate indeed!

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
            A scarf and a bike.
            A horse chestnut and a painted leaf.
            A bamboo flute and a monk.
            A house shutter and some paint.
            A footprint and a mountain.
            A yarmulke and a city street.

            Every fingerprint is unique. Every corner whispers meaning. High in
            the clouds - down below on earth - we hear fragments of a single
            refrain. A refrain learned to sing along a shared journey. A refrain
            where one finds cosmic clues inside the oh so ordinary?
            Inspiration-Letters II advises us to wisely reconsider with tremendous
            unanimity. Kudos to Morris in striking up a rousing second verse of
            this continuing opus.

            Sharani
            p.s. Kamalika with much enthusiasm I share an excerpt which had me
            instantly thinking of you :-) from a book sold Nov 5th in New York
            entitled "God's Magnet-Eye." The book is a collection of 50
            definitions originally offered by Guru in 1995 for various words and
            concepts.

            Summit
            The depth-reversal.

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > Dear friends,
            >
            > I am very happy and excited to announce the publication of Inspiration-
            > Letters II on the Sri Chinmoy Centre site.
            >

            > You can find it at:
            >
            > http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/inspiration-letters/
            >

            > I am extremely grateful to everyone who contributed articles and/or
            > assisted in the creation of this edition.
            >
            > Many, many, many thanks to Sumangali, for the gorgeous site.
            >

            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Morris Klein
            > editor

          • carr_terri
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
              Hi Sharani,

              Since you are still looking for more titles for the top 100, I would
              like to suggest "I Meditate So That" which has always been a favorite
              of mine. It consists of 47 poems/aphorisms which all begin with the
              words in the title. Since the core of Sri Chinmoy's teaching is
              meditation, I thought this book qualifies as a contender. There are
              many cute and charming features to the book besides the text. For
              instance the physical outline of the book is not an ordinary 4
              straight sides. Instead the pages and covers are cut in the shape of
              a drawing that I think Sri Chinmoy did of a very soulful, ethereal
              looking child. Each poem is paired with a photo of Sri Chinmoy in
              meditation and most pages have 1 or more of Sri Chinmoy's adorable
              soul-bird drawings. All said, it is a lovely package. But because
              it is so unique, it was probably a very limited printing - it
              probably will not be available in bookstores anytime soon :-)

              If it makes the cut, fine. If not, I will not be upset. After all,
              you're the librarian! And I second the nomination of "The
              Quintessence of Knowledge Sun". One of Sri Chinmoy's answers
              addresses many real-life obstacles to spiritual progress. I found it
              quite gripping and reread it many times and recommended it to
              others.

              In fact I thought it was so juicy and relevant I considered
              mentioning it to Begabati to use for one of her plays where the
              master speaks to the diciples. (Begabati - if you are reading...)

              Terri

> [...]
              > >
              > > 71. My Meditation-Service at the United Nations for 25 Years
              > >
              > > 72. Mother India's Lighthouse : India's Spiritual Leaders
              > >
              > > 73. Mother Teresa : Humanity's Flower-Heart, Divinity's Fragrance-
              Soul

              > > 74. Never Grow Old
              > >
              > > 75. The Oneness of the Eastern Heart and the Western Mind, pts. 1-
              3

              > > 76. The Outer Running and the Inner Running
              > >
              > > 77. The Summits of God-Life : Samadhi and Siddhi
              > >
              > > 78. A True Disciple
              > >
              > > 79. Yoga and the Spiritual Life : the Journey of India's Soul
              > >
              > > 80. The Wings of Joy : Finding Your Path to Inner Peace
              > >
              > > 81. The Wisdom of Sri Chinmoy
              > >

              > > Well I better hit send quickly now since my first draft of this
              > > message nicely crashed when I got stuck in a second Firefox tabbed
              > > window. Hope to hear how your list would be similar or different!

            • ttstp
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
                Dear Sharani the Librarian
                My list of select titles: Songs of the Soul, The Garland of
                Nation-Souls, The Son, My Flute, My Lord's Secrets Revealed, and
                Garden of the Soul. All of these are included in your list. The only
                one on my list that does not appear on yours is a book of questions
                and answers entitled "God-Life: Is it a Far Cry?". I keep this book
                handy for Sri Chinmoy's introduction- a short essay that begins with
                these three lines: When I cry, God weeps.
                When I weep, God peeps.
                When I peep, God flings.
                The whole book is reprinted on SriChinmoyLibrary.com
                Guru jokingly describes himself as a high school drop-out and yet his
                writing is so eloquent and beautiful. As your list is so far up to 81,
                may I also add for consideration:

                The Body, Humanity's Fortress
                Khama Karo: Writings on Forgiveness
                The Difference Between a False Master and a True Master
                The Source of Music
                My Religion

                Happy Reading
                Shirley

> [...]
                > >
                > > 69. The Master and the Disciple
                > >
                > > 70. Meditation : Man-Perfection in God-Satisfaction
                > >
                > > 71. My Meditation-Service at the United Nations for 25 Years
                > >
                > > 72. Mother India's Lighthouse : India's Spiritual Leaders
                > >
                > > 73. Mother Teresa : Humanity's Flower-Heart, Divinity's Fragrance-Soul
                > >
                > > 74. Never Grow Old
                > >
                > > 75. The Oneness of the Eastern Heart and the Western Mind, pts. 1-3
                > >
                > > 76. The Outer Running and the Inner Running
                > >
                > > 77. The Summits of God-Life : Samadhi and Siddhi
                > >
                > > 78. A True Disciple
                > >
                > > 79. Yoga and the Spiritual Life : the Journey of India's Soul
                > >
                > > 80. The Wings of Joy : Finding Your Path to Inner Peace
                > >
                > > 81. The Wisdom of Sri Chinmoy
                > >

                > > Well I better hit send quickly now since my first draft of this
                > > message nicely crashed when I got stuck in a second Firefox tabbed
                > > window. Hope to hear how your list would be similar or different!

              • morrisklein27
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Kudos to Sharani for the plainspoken beauty of her writing!

                  Morris

                  > A scarf and a bike.
                  > A horse chestnut and a painted leaf.
                  > A bamboo flute and a monk.
                  > A house shutter and some paint.
                  > A footprint and a mountain.
                  > A yarmulke and a city street.
                  >
                  > Every fingerprint is unique. Every corner whispers meaning. High in
                  > the clouds - down below on earth - we hear fragments of a single
                  > refrain. A refrain learned to sing along a shared journey. A refrain
                  > where one finds cosmic clues inside the oh so ordinary?
                  > Inspiration-Letters II advises us to wisely reconsider with
                  tremendous
                  > unanimity. Kudos to Morris in striking up a rousing second verse of
                  > this continuing opus.
                  >
                  > Sharani
                  > p.s. Kamalika with much enthusiasm I share an excerpt which had me
                  > instantly thinking of you :-) from a book sold Nov 5th in New York
                  > entitled "God's Magnet-Eye." The book is a collection of 50
                  > definitions originally offered by Guru in 1995 for various words and
                  > concepts.
                  >
                  > Summit
                  > The depth-reversal.
                  >

                  > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27
                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear friends,
                  > >
                  > > I am very happy and excited to announce the publication of
                  Inspiration-
                  > > Letters II on the Sri Chinmoy Centre site.
                  > >

                  > > You can find it at:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/inspiration-letters/
                  > >

                  > > I am extremely grateful to everyone who contributed articles
                  and/or
                  > > assisted in the creation of this edition.
                  > >
                  > > Many, many, many thanks to Sumangali, for the gorgeous site.
                  > >

                  > > Sincerely,
                  > >
                  > > Morris Klein
                  > > editor

                • viddyut82
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
                    I would also like to add my favorites, one which is already listed is
                    A True Disciple, the others are 'A Disciples Freedom' and 'My Sweet
                    Father-Lord, Where Are You?'. 'A Disciples Freedom' is a Q&A with a
                    brilliant lecture at the beginning and some of the juiciest questions
                    and answer. 'My Sweet Father-Lord, Where Are You?'is one of my
                    favorite prayer books. The very last prayer in the book is Sri
                    Chinmoy's morning prayer:
                    My Lord Beloved Supreme
                    With every breath of my heart...

                    When this book was first sold, Sri Chinmoy suggested reading from it
                    often, I want to believe everyday. Does anyone else recall this?

                    Viddyut SF

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ttstp <no_reply@y...>