World Harmony Swimmer?

  • sarah_inseattle
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      I just finished a wonderful and inspiring book called, *Swimming to
      Antarctica: Tales of a Long Distance Swimmer*, by Lynne Cox. This
      book, written by Lynne herself, chronicles some of her most amazing
      swims, including her swim from Alaska to Siberia across the Bering
      Strait in 1987, which opened the US-Soviet border for the first time
      in forty-eight years. She swam it "in thirty-eight degree water in
      four-foot waves without a shark cage, wet suit, or lanolin grease."
      She describes this swim and many others in breathtaking detail that
      makes you actually think it might be a wonderful thing to swim from
      Catalina Island to California in the middle of the night! Some of her
      ther swims include the English Channel, Cook Strait, Straits of
      Magellan, the Cape of Good Hope, Glacier Bay, Lake Titicaca, and she
      swam 1.06 miles to Antarctica in 32 degree water! Her training and
      commitment, the support she received, the enthusiasm of those
      who "participated" by witnessing her feats all remind me of the World
      Harmony Run. People all over the world have rallied around her swims.
      She has truly brought people together in World Harmony through her
      sport.

      I owe my thanks to Laura at Seattle Centre who recommended this book
      to me. It's a great read with a wonderful message. Her aspiration
      shines through.

      Shivering in oneness,
      Sarah
      Seattle