Morning tea-break today

  • bernice131313
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      This morning I stumbled upon the official opening of the Woden Police
      Station - a big new building almost right across the road from where I
      work. The roads were blocked off, there was a large contingent of
      police in full uniform standing at attention in the hot sun, there were
      dignitaries, members of parliament, families of police officers and
      citizens.

      An Aboriginal Elder welcomed the police and their new building
      to "Ngunawal country" - the Aborginal name for the Canberra region. A
      pipe band played the Australian national anthem. There was a ceremony
      involving the raising of significant flags including the Australian
      flag. Nice speeches were made, and there were police video cameras and
      photographers. There was even a police chaplain who asked God to help
      the police remain courageous and wise in the fulfilment of their
      duties. She mentioned God a number of times and it was nice to hear
      God being treated with such respect.

      I found the whole thing extremely inspiring.

      I really admire the police force. They work so hard and have to do so
      many tough jobs. In all my dealings with them over the years (the
      umpteem times that I've lost my wallet since school days, random breath
      testing on the roads, searching for my grandfather when he went
      missing, attending the nursing home when my grandmother passed away, to
      name but a few) I've always been impressed by their sincerity and good
      heartedness.

      The ceremony reminded me of Sri Chinmoy's tireless efforts to honour
      people whose work contributes to the world being a better place.

      Bernice
      Canberra