The answer to "The Muffins, The Number and The Question"

  • durba_l
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
      Sorry everyone ! I accidentally deleted the answer and it took a
      while to trace the sender but here's the answer....

      The Muffins, The Number and The Question
      Recently Dan Liebke, our Director of Statistics, got our mouths all
      watering the other day when he was offering delicious home-baked
      muffins that he had cooked himself the day before. However, we
      realised that, as with all Dan's freebies, there were strings
      attached.

      "I'm thinking of an integer from 1 to 3 (inclusive)," he
      announced. "If you can tell me the number, you'll get a muffin. So
      you've got a 1 in 3 chance of getting one."

      There was a general uproar over this and cries of unfair and we
      demanded that he at least give us a hint. "All right, all right," Dan
      said. "I'll be a bit more generous. You can ask me one yes-or-no
      answer question."

      We all looked at each other in befuddlement until Paul said, "Oh,
      hang on, I know what question to ask." He then passed this question
      on to the rest of us.

      Well . . . once we had that, we quickly cleaned Dan out of all his
      muffins. What was the question that we asked him that told us which
      number he was thinking of?

      Answer: The question we asked was, "I'm thinking of a number between
      two and three. Is my number higher than yours?"

      If Dan answers "yes", then we know that his number is 1.

      If Dan answers "no", then we know that his number is 3.

      If Dan answers "I don't know", then we know that his number is 2.
    • dharmaja
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        Dear God,

        May I be endlessly thankful that this entire proceeding has now gone
        WAAAY over my head.

        D.
        __________________

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, durba_l
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Sorry everyone ! I accidentally deleted the answer and it took a
        > while to trace the sender but here's the answer....
        >
        > The Muffins, The Number and The Question
        > Recently Dan Liebke, our Director of Statistics, got our mouths all
        > watering the other day when he was offering delicious home-baked
        > muffins that he had cooked himself the day before. However, we
        > realised that, as with all Dan's freebies, there were strings
        > attached.
        >
        > "I'm thinking of an integer from 1 to 3 (inclusive)," he
        > announced. "If you can tell me the number, you'll get a muffin. So
        > you've got a 1 in 3 chance of getting one."
        >
        > There was a general uproar over this and cries of unfair and we
        > demanded that he at least give us a hint. "All right, all right," Dan
        > said. "I'll be a bit more generous. You can ask me one yes-or-no
        > answer question."
        >
        > We all looked at each other in befuddlement until Paul said, "Oh,
        > hang on, I know what question to ask." He then passed this question
        > on to the rest of us.
        >
        > Well . . . once we had that, we quickly cleaned Dan out of all his
        > muffins. What was the question that we asked him that told us which
        > number he was thinking of?
        >
        > Answer: The question we asked was, "I'm thinking of a number between
        > two and three. Is my number higher than yours?"
        >
        > If Dan answers "yes", then we know that his number is 1.
        >
        > If Dan answers "no", then we know that his number is 3.
        >
        > If Dan answers "I don't know", then we know that his number is 2.

      • niriha7
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
          Whoa Darmaja,

          It is not waaay over your head. In fact, your original answer some
          months ago was closer to a sensible answer than the "official" answer.
          Sarada offered an answer that she thought came from a puzzle website.
          She wrote that she was not convinced it was correct. Durba provided
          the same answer as Sarada's.

          Answer: The question we asked was, "I'm thinking of a number between
          > > two and three. Is my number higher than yours?"
          > >
          > > If Dan answers "yes", then we know that his number is 1.
          > >
          > > If Dan answers "no", then we know that his number is 3.
          > >
          > > If Dan answers "I don't know", then we know that his number is 2.

          It does not seem legit to say "I am thinking of a number between two
          and three..." Anyway...

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja