Transcendence-Perfection Anniversary

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2005
      Tuesday, November 1 marks the 30th Anniversary of an incredible
      literary achievement of Sri Chinmoy. It is a book of 843 remarkable
      poems written in a single 24 hour period and then printed in the same
      day as well. I remember when it happened, although I was living in
      Connecticut at the time and was not directly involved in the
      excitement in New York during that whirlwind day of soulful creation
      and manifestation.

      If there is anyone, an 'old-timer', who was involved in some way,
      perhaps they could share a story or two with us. I do remember that
      after we bought the huge book for only seven dollars, which was the
      size of a telephone directory book, Sri Chinmoy asked for anyone who
      was inspired to memorize one hundred poems from the book. He said that
      in about a week he would test us on our memory with a fun 'exam'. It
      was quite challenging and fun at the same time to memorize the poems,
      not just to recite, but to be able to write them down with proper
      spelling, pronunciation and punctuation. I took the challenge and
      studied with index cards. It really helped my meditation,
      concentration and aspiration during that special week.

      The following weekend, we went to Annam Brahma, to prove our
      abilities. I think there were about 25 of us who took the challenge.
      We had the little blue college like test books as we sat in the dining
      room jotting down our poems one at a time by memory. I forget how I
      rated, but I think I only got a couple of punctuations and words
      wrong. It was a truly rewarding experience as Sri Chinmoy himself
      walked around the room smiling and meditating with joy, gratitude and
      pride in his spiritual children.

      This incredible poetry book also inspired me to create a slideshow
      with photos from a trip I took to Canada that year and some classical
      violin music in the background as I recited some of the profound
      poetry from that classic book. This year I was inspired to take one of
      my original copies and start reading it again. But I could only find
      one of two copies that I had and I hope to find the other one since
      they are out of print.

      I then was inspired to offer my copy to a very good disciple-brother
      friend who I just found out was born on the exact same day as
      Transcendence-Perfection was born, November 1, 1975. If he lets me, I
      will reveal his identity. I am quite curious to know if there are any
      other fortunate people in our midst who are turning 30 on that
      auspicious day.

      Also, if anyone wants to post some poems from that very special book
      please do so now. If I find my second copy I will certainly post some
      poems here, or I can get the mystery birthday boy to offer a few
      poems to us as well.
      In any case, Happy Transcendence-Perfection 30th Birthday (Anniversary)!

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2005
        What a treat to hear memories of the circumstances surrounding the
        creation and publishing of this book. I've never heard the story of
        the memorization exercise with test books no less! Thanks for adding
        to our appreciation of this great volume of poems.

        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Tuesday, November 1 marks the 30th Anniversary of an incredible
        > literary achievement of Sri Chinmoy. It is a book of 843 remarkable
        > poems written in a single 24 hour period and then printed in the same
        > day as well. I remember when it happened, although I was living in
        > Connecticut at the time and was not directly involved in the
        > excitement in New York during that whirlwind day of soulful creation
        > and manifestation.
        >
        > If there is anyone, an 'old-timer', who was involved in some way,
        > perhaps they could share a story or two with us. I do remember that
        > after we bought the huge book for only seven dollars, which was the
        > size of a telephone directory book, Sri Chinmoy asked for anyone who
        > was inspired to memorize one hundred poems from the book. He said that
        > in about a week he would test us on our memory with a fun 'exam'. It
        > was quite challenging and fun at the same time to memorize the poems,
        > not just to recite, but to be able to write them down with proper
        > spelling, pronunciation and punctuation. I took the challenge and
        > studied with index cards. It really helped my meditation,
        > concentration and aspiration during that special week.
        >
        > The following weekend, we went to Annam Brahma, to prove our
        > abilities. I think there were about 25 of us who took the challenge.
        > We had the little blue college like test books as we sat in the dining
        > room jotting down our poems one at a time by memory. I forget how I
        > rated, but I think I only got a couple of punctuations and words
        > wrong. It was a truly rewarding experience as Sri Chinmoy himself
        > walked around the room smiling and meditating with joy, gratitude and
        > pride in his spiritual children.
        >
        > This incredible poetry book also inspired me to create a slideshow
        > with photos from a trip I took to Canada that year and some classical
        > violin music in the background as I recited some of the profound
        > poetry from that classic book. This year I was inspired to take one of
        > my original copies and start reading it again. But I could only find
        > one of two copies that I had and I hope to find the other one since
        > they are out of print.
        >
        > I then was inspired to offer my copy to a very good disciple-brother
        > friend who I just found out was born on the exact same day as
        > Transcendence-Perfection was born, November 1, 1975. If he lets me, I
        > will reveal his identity. I am quite curious to know if there are any
        > other fortunate people in our midst who are turning 30 on that
        > auspicious day.
        >
        > Also, if anyone wants to post some poems from that very special book
        > please do so now. If I find my second copy I will certainly post some
        > poems here, or I can get the mystery birthday boy to offer a few
        > poems to us as well.
        > In any case, Happy Transcendence-Perfection 30th Birthday (Anniversary)!
        >
        > Gratefully,
        > Arpan

      • morrisklein27
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2005
          Dear friends,

          I know that many members of the forum are scientists. Many scientists
          moonlight as poets or journalists outside of the lab. For this
          upcoming issue of Inspiration-Letters, could you send me articles
          about how you became interested in your particular discipline, and
          how (or if) your training has taught you to see the world differently?

          I'd also be interested in pieces discussing the lives and
          contributions of the great scientists of the past, especially if
          their example inspired you to follow in their footsteps.

          (And Sandesh, I'm not talking about things which go BOOM in the night,
          OK?)

          I'm not limiting the field to just scientists; all are welcome to
          submit articles to my paper shre--- oops I meant perusal:)

          Morris Klein
        • morrisklein27
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
            Dear Arpan,

            Thank you so much for bringing up "Transcendence-Perfection", one of
            my very favorite collections of Sri Chinmoy's poetry. There are many
            reasons for this, but the main reason is that those poems have a
            lyrical intensity that makes my head spin whenever I immerse myself
            in them!

            And it's no surprise to me that you would have given away your
            personal copy of the book to a dear spiritual brother on his soul's
            day. Your heart of gold is well-known and much admired.

            Here's a poem from Transcendence-Perfection that I particularly like:

            # 695 "The Sun is Dancing"

            The sun is dancing,
            The moon is dancing,
            The stars are dancing.
            I am dancing this moment
            With the sun, moon and stars.
            Next moment I am sailing
            With the sky.
            The sky makes me feel
            That I am the vastness of Infinity's Heart;
            The sun, moon and stars make me feel
            That God's creation is for ecstacy's beginningless birth
            And endless journey.

            [unofficial]