Weekend Functions-Oct. 29-30

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2005
      Weekend Functions-Oct. 29-30

      This weekend in Jamaica, New York that is, turned out to be fairly
      good weather compared to the cold spell which had settled in during
      the past week. After a chilly Saturday morning two mile race (see
      prayer and results on posting # 15662), the weather starting going our
      way as we prepared for a special function honoring Sri Chinmoy's
      sister Lily's birthday in the afternoon.

      The International group of women singers called the Bhajan Singers,
      started the program with about an hour of very soulful and haunting
      renditions of Sri Chinmoy's songs relating to Lily-di. On the last
      song, `Antare', Sri Chinmoy joined them in the singing. He later
      explained that the words were written by Lily and he set them to music
      many years ago. He described it as a most beautiful song, and there
      was no doubt about that for those who heard it performed today.

      Following the uplifting music, Sri Chinmoy amused us with some very
      sweet stories about Lily. I myself remember when she had come to visit
      in New York for the first and only time in 1978. It was quite cold as
      usual in the beginning of the year and she had never been out of the
      hot weather of South India most of her life. It was very difficult for
      her to get used to the extreme cold, and I recall that she had gotten
      lots of warm clothes to wear-jackets, hats, gloves, etc. She would
      wear them sometimes even indoors. She was so kind and self-giving,
      sometimes even giving us prasad at functions. Some of the beautiful
      photos of Lily from those days decorated the Aspiration-Ground tent
      and reminded me of some of the memorable experiences she blessed us
      with back then. Her presence seemed quite powerful and sweet at this
      function honoring her, such a wonderful member of Sri Chinmoy's
      family. Sri Chinmoy said that she was all sacrifice for her `younger
      brother.'

      The good singers and musicians practiced and recorded a special song
      for a very great musician who is a special friend of Sri Chinmoy. He
      and his family were visiting in New York this weekend performing at
      Carnegie Hall. With Premik as our leader and conductor, the song
      recently written by Sri Chinmoy became very powerfully alive as the
      whole `orchestra' played it quite enthusiastically for audio and video
      as well.

      After the performance, Sri Chinmoy offered a special Indian sweet for
      prasad in honor of Lily-di. He then said that there would be a short
      break because he wanted to call a German Centre that was hosting a Joy
      Day with hundreds of Europeans eagerly awaiting his call. Here we
      were, so fortunate to be spending most of the day with our great
      Teacher, and others were so happy just to hear his voice on the
      telephone for a few minutes. This really gives us a better perspective
      on the blessings and privileges we receive to be in the presence of a
      real Spiritual Master.

      After a meal and prasad, Sri Chinmoy asked Saleha to come up to sing
      one of his songs. She comes from Bengal originally and is an excellent
      and powerfully sweet singer. She sang `Ogo Dayamoy, Ogo Kripamoy' very
      sweetly and strongly. Sri Chinmoy then announced a concert that he
      would be giving that evening at a nearby church/temple.

      The concert at night was a bit shorter than usual, and after Sri
      Chinmoy's soulful performance on about 6 instruments, we were treated
      to a very sweet performance of young musicians belonging to the
      church. They played on sitars and harmonium and tablas in unison. It
      was quite touching and entertaining as the same time.

      On Sunday, the weather became almost spring-like and the tent was open
      to the warm air a bit. In the afternoon, we were blessed with the
      presence of young Hiyakanta and her parents who recently returned from
      a cruise to Central America. Sri Chinmoy asked them to tell us stories
      about it. With Lotika translating from Russian to English, we enjoyed
      about an hour of wonderful stories about the trip. They described how
      beautiful it was, especially Costa Rica.

      We asked questions afterwards and heard even more great stories about
      the very educational and enjoyable cruise. The guest is a great
      Russian athlete who recently won gold medals in the Olympics last
      year. She has had some ups and downs in her competition this past year
      but explained that it was Sri Chinmoy's encouragement and support that
      helped her through the difficult times and injuries. She ended up by
      winning a prestigious Grand Prix competition held in many European
      countries this year.

      As November comes upon us and the leaves start decorating the
      landscape with a variety of brilliant colors, we look forward to more
      inspirational functions and blessings to share with our brothers and
      sisters everywhere.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
    • dietlclaudia
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
        Thank you for this nice report. In Germany, we were indeed eagerly
        waiting for Guru's phone call.
        First, He asked how many we were. Guru had expected 700 but the
        number was only 600. In spite of this Guru cold all disciples over 20
        years to the phone and gave his personal blessings. This were over 50
        people and I found it quite amazing that Guru spoke to so many people
        in person.
        It was nice for us under 20 too, although we could not here what Guru
        said. But the atmosphere was full of blessingful silence.
        Then Guru spoke to us and mentioned the function for his sister Lily.
        He said that the Bhajan-singers sang most most soulfully.
        We then sang "My Lord Beloved Supreme" and Guru said a few things
        more about a lift that He wants to do before Christmas.

        I did not get everything properly this time, but was inwardly totally
        happy and peaceful. This really made the Joyday special and
        unforgettable.

        with Gratitude
        claudia

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo