Happy Halloween!

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2005
      I wonder how many countries represented here celebrate Halloween
      today? For those of you that do, visit my gallery album at
      http://tinyurl.com/d4pak
      for a pumpkin postcard from New England along with some other Fall
      scenes in my Miscellany album

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
        This year I found myself on duty at work during the evening of
        Halloween when children dress up in costume and go trick-or-treating.
        We joined in the festivities at work by dressing up in costume and
        handing out candy to visitors to the library.

        While the redeeming value of masquerading in costume and overdosing on
        sugar could be easily debated for the likes of one trying to haunt
        abodes of peace and light rather than ghosts and goblins, I readily
        admit I had good bit of fun at work last night

        Here the night shift is posing in front of the resident statue at the
        library, affectionately nicknamed Buffy. One of my co-workers usually
        dresses up the statue in some kind of seasonal attire so it only
        seemed fitting that Buffy join in the group photo.

        Still recovering from a bump to my noggin, I found great distraction
        from my aches and pains by being a holiday elf - all accessories found
        at the local dollar store where - yes everything costs $1.00. My red
        plastic nose had a blinking light inside it that kept up its Rudolph
        imitation the whole evening.

        When I actually had a serious reference question to answer, one of my
        co-workers dressed as a pirate found herself in fits of laughter just
        looking at me doing regular work with a flashing light on my head.

        Since we had very few customers, the timing was perfect to also revel
        in celebrating two recent October staffer birthdays behind the scenes.
        I think we could build a Great Wall replica out of all the candy
        leftovers brought in to work today. As we chew on Skittles and
        chocolate bars, we can also chew on Rabbi Marc Gellman's interesting
        and somewhat humorous article on the relationship between Halloween,
        spirituality and organized religion.

        "Another spiritual purpose of Halloween that goes way beyond candy and
        candy, is the way Halloween opens us up to the possibility of the
        undead. I have a Ph.D. in Philosophy and so union rules prevent me
        from believing in things you can only kill with garlic and a silver
        bullet...there is more in Heaven and Earth that is dreamed of in our
        philosophy. Halloween puts us, particularly children, face to face
        with spooks. This is a good thing because if spooks are real, then we
        have the holiday to keep them away, and if spooks are not real, then,
        hey, the candy and the party were good. Part of the original Celtic
        observance of Samhain was the lighting of bonfires all through the
        night to scare away the spirits of the dead. Yes I know, this is all
        just bogus superstition, but perhaps, just perhapsÂ…quick! Look behind
        you!! Wow that was close."

        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9879800/site/newsweek/

        Sharani
        p.s. you can see the photo with Buffy the Statue that accompanies this
        post in my blog at:
        http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/sharani/blog/archive/2006/11/01/halloween2006/view