sublime passage by Emerson

  • carr_terri
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 25, 2005
      I have long treasured this passage by Emerson describing his
      mystical experiences in nature. Many years ago, I found a copy of
      this excerpt amongst my younger sister's school papers. I was so
      moved by it, I had to have a copy. For years I kept my tattered
      copy amongst my treasured books and would reread it every once in a
      while.

      Anyway, I always feel it is one of the most perfect depictions of
      what meditation really is and that no student of spirituality can
      help but be inspired by these words...enjoy! Terri

      "The Transcendental Eyeball"...

      Crossing a bare common, in snow puddles, at twilight, under a
      clouded sky, without having in my thoughts any occurrence of special
      good fortune, I have enjoyed a perfect exhilaration. I am glad to
      the brink of fear. In the woods too, a man casts off his years, as
      the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a
      child. In the woods, is perpetual youth. Within these plantations
      of God, a decorum and sanctity reign, a perennial festival is
      dressed, and the guest sees not how he should tire of them in a
      thousand years. In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I
      feel that nothing can befall me in life, -- no disgrace, no
      calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing
      on the bare ground, -- my head bathed by the blithe air, and
      uplifted into infinite space, -- all mean egotism vanishes. I become
      a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the
      Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God.
      The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental:
      to be brothers, to be acquaintances, -- master or servant, is then a
      trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal
      beauty. In the wilderness, I find something more dear and connate
      than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and
      especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds somewhat
      as beautiful as his own nature. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
    • sarah_inseattle
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2005
        Terri, this is *so beautiful* and moving! It takes me back to my
        New England childhood, but also to recent backpacking trips in the
        Olympic Rain Forest.

        Yes, in the woods and wilderness, I feel those currents of the
        Universal Being flowing through me. I never knew the words to
        describe it. But I know it is God.

        Thank you so much for posting it.

        Sarah
        Seattle

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2005
          Hi Terri,

          This is ironic that we are communicating more on the Inspiration Group
          than in person even though we almost spent time together a couple of
          days ago! Your passage from Emerson's writings is a stellar example of
          his Transcendentalist philosophy that I also resonate with (uh-oh here
          comes the preposition police!) I find the American Transcendentalists
          of the 19th century (the most famous being Emerson, Thoreau and
          Margaret Fuller) to be a fascinating topic and even mention them in my
          photo contributor credit on poetseers.org. Were we still living
          together when I was slowly making my way through the seminal Emerson
          biography by John McAleer? The Transcendentalists looked to Nature for
          their sense of divinity and felt it was replete with symbols and
          messages. Thanks for sharing this passage - it really sums up
          transcendentalism nicely.

          Sharani

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Terri, this is *so beautiful* and moving! It takes me back to my
          > New England childhood, but also to recent backpacking trips in the
          > Olympic Rain Forest.
          >
          > Yes, in the woods and wilderness, I feel those currents of the
          > Universal Being flowing through me. I never knew the words to
          > describe it. But I know it is God.
          >
          > Thank you so much for posting it.
          >
          > Sarah
          > Seattle
          >
          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have long treasured this passage by Emerson describing his
          > > mystical experiences in nature. Many years ago, I found a copy of
          > > this excerpt amongst my younger sister's school papers. I was so
          > > moved by it, I had to have a copy. For years I kept my tattered
          > > copy amongst my treasured books and would reread it every once in
          > > while.
          > >
          > > Anyway, I always feel it is one of the most perfect depictions of
          > > what meditation really is and that no student of spirituality can
          > > help but be inspired by these words...enjoy! Terri
          > >
          > > "The Transcendental Eyeball"...
          > >
          > > Crossing a bare common, in snow puddles, at twilight, under a
          > > clouded sky, without having in my thoughts any occurrence of
          > special
          > > good fortune, I have enjoyed a perfect exhilaration. I am glad to
          > > the brink of fear. In the woods too, a man casts off his years,
          > as
          > > the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always
          > > child. In the woods, is perpetual youth. Within these plantations
          > > of God, a decorum and sanctity reign, a perennial festival is
          > > dressed, and the guest sees not how he should tire of them in a
          > > thousand years. In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There
          > > feel that nothing can befall me in life, -- no disgrace, no
          > > calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair.
          > Standing
          > > on the bare ground, -- my head bathed by the blithe air, and
          > > uplifted into infinite space, -- all mean egotism vanishes. I
          > become
          > > a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of
          > the
          > > Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of
          > God.
          > > The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental:
          > > to be brothers, to be acquaintances, -- master or servant, is then
          > > trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and
          > immortal
          > > beauty. In the wilderness, I find something more dear and connate
          > > than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and
          > > especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds
          > somewhat
          > > as beautiful as his own nature. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

        • niriha7
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2005
            Dear Sharani,

            You wrote:

            "Your passage from Emerson's writings is a stellar example of his
            Transcendentalist philosophy that I also resonate with (uh-oh here
            comes the preposition police!)"

            What if you were to put it this way:

            >Your passage from Emerson's writings is a stellar example of
            >his Transcendentalist philosophy with which I also resonate.

            I'm sorry. It is just my mood today. I am finding it impossible to
            be serious.

            ^ ^
            @ @
            \_/

            By the way, I would like to echo your praise of the home page for
            Srichinmoycentre.org. It is great to have such easy to use links.
            And the links do indeed seem as limbs on a tree - a banyan tree in fact.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 30, 2005
              Hey Sharani,

              That syndicated columnist who writes about grammar in the newspaper
              every week (Kirkpatrick or something?) says there are times when it
              sounds better to end a sentence with a preposition. I agree! I don't
              mind, "...which I resonate with."

              However, a trick I have found in such cases is to find a way to
              write the sentence to avoid the danger area all together! If you
              get rid of "with" there is no problems with where to place it...(!)

              "...a stellar eample of his Transcendentalist philosophy, which
              resonates with me."

              That's just the way my sneaky mind works when I fear being watched
              by the Grammar Patrol... :-)

              Smiles,
              Sarah
              Seattle

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 30, 2005
                Reply to myself?

                Wait a minute, I no sooner hit the "send" button when I realized the
                word "with" was still "with" me... Nice typo I had in there, too...
                (no "x" in "example")

                Well the point is, when I'm not sure of the correct grammar, I just
                make up a new sentence that has a little different structure! Beg
                the question all together!

                "which I also resonate with" or
                "with which I also resonate" or
                "which resonates with me" :-)

                Aw forget it!!!!!

                Sarah
                Seattle
                (smiling, with eyes cast heavenward)

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
                  I'm approaching the infamous (to me) blackboard to diagram some
                  sentences but my memories of how to do it are postively fossilized!
                  You and Niriha are definitely the President and Vice-President of the
                  committee to round up wayward writers. Arpan's reply about his typo is
                  funny. He and I both are the latest pupils. :-)