Twice The Fun

  • karen_met
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      It started with the Marathon on the 25th of August at Rockland Park,
      upstate New York. A race I was nervous about… One I couldn't wait to
      be over with! 26 miles around a three mile loop an a relatively flat
      and shady course. My aim was to go under 4hrs 20mins- a 10 minute per
      mile pace. The goal was in reach until just before the half-way mark,
      all I wanted to do was stop and watch the other runners fly by, they
      made it look so easy!. My knees started to painfully swell. The last
      two laps seemed like an eternity… Finally I made it in 4 hours 56
      mins. Not the time I wanted, but with less than 5 weeks training not
      a bad effort!

      Hours after completing this feat I was surprisingly looking forward to
      the 47-mile race… Time for recovery before this race began was less
      than 48 hours. In fact it started just after midnight on the 27th of
      August!!

      Crazy!

      My legs felt fine, my energy levels were good, I had completed the 47
      mile ultra marathon previously.. "Just start," I thought to myself.
      "See what you can do!"

      We started and my legs were instantly screaming "Stop! Stop!"
      Stiffness enveloped my whole being. It was only lap one for Gods
      Sake! I had to at least get through the first hour.

      It was a hard race from the onset. Amazing to think that there were
      other runners out there that ran for months on end, to complete the
      world's longest footrace of 3100miles.

      Even though I only managed to complete 32.74 miles I was very grateful
      for the experience and the opportunity to participate. In fact my
      marathon time for the 47-mile race was only half an hour slower that
      the marathon days earlier!

      Lessons learned:

      Train harder and run faster!

      Next year…

      There is always another opportunity to transcend.

      Karen