Ashrita's new record

  • markhoogakker
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      For those of you that weren't at the evening function on
      august the 27th: Ashrita did a new record! On the birthday
      cake presented to Sri Chinmoy there were 27.000 candles! The
      previous record by someone else was a little over 12000
      candles. It was a marvellous sight, the big cakes were
      covered in candles, maybe half a centimeter apart. The
      challenge of the whole project was to have them all lighted,
      counted, videod and offered to Sri Chinmoy before the first
      candles would have burned completely. Ashrita had about 25
      men helping him, armed with gasburners that throw quit a big
      flame. Each man had to light 1000 canles in a little more
      than a minute. After a short speech in which Ashrita offered
      the achievement to Sri Chinmoy, accompanied by the loud roar
      of gasburners 27.000 candles came to life. It was marvellous,
      the cake got hot like anything though and the flames rose up
      in the air more than half a meter, the wax was flowing in big
      torrents from the cake. The candles were lit in a little over
      one minute, the counters came running by, the video-people
      came and then the cake was offered to Sri Chinmoy (or rather
      Sri Chinmoy came walking to the trays of cakes that were
      spread out over about 4 tables.) Sri Chinmoy meditated for a
      few moments on the cascade of little flames congratulating
      him on his 74th birthday. Now they had to extinguish this sea
      of fire again. I really thought the whole cake was burning
      down completely and for a moment I thought it would be even
      worse and they would have to use fire extinguishers. I felt
      sorry for those women that spent the whole night baking this
      cake that was consumed by the fire gods in such a little
      time. But a little miracle happened. they started blowing and
      they really managed to blow out flames of half a meter high!
      I think some higher force was helping them other wise I think
      it wouldn't have even been possible to come close enough to
      the cake to start blowing. To everybody's great surprise they
      managed to blow out all the candles! The women that spent the
      whole night baking spent another hour taking of all the
      candles and a thick layer of wax and then they put on a new
      layer of icing. Everybody present got a big piece of this
      blessed miracle-birthday-cake! It tasted heavenly!

      greetings Mark
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2005
        Hi Mark,

        Thanks so much for sharing with everybody about the birthday cake candle record. I was
        just thinking this morning that it was a story that needed telling since it was so
        remarkable. I have to agree with you that I felt like I was watching a fishes and loaves
        moment when the individuals blew out the candles which were flaming high up into the
        air.

        I found the image of the lit candles particularly powerful. As I viewed the scene from up in
        the bleachers, I felt as if I was looking at a road of light. A road comprised of nothing but
        light. That image really stirred and inspired me. If only life could be like a road of light...

        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, markhoogakker <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > For those of you that weren't at the evening function on
        > august the 27th: Ashrita did a new record! On the birthday
        > cake presented to Sri Chinmoy there were 27.000 candles! The
        > previous record by someone else was a little over 12000
        > candles. It was a marvellous sight, the big cakes were
        > covered in candles, maybe half a centimeter apart. The
        > challenge of the whole project was to have them all lighted,
        > counted, videod and offered to Sri Chinmoy before the first
        > candles would have burned completely. Ashrita had about 25
        > men helping him, armed with gasburners that throw quit a big
        > flame. Each man had to light 1000 canles in a little more
        > than a minute. After a short speech in which Ashrita offered
        > the achievement to Sri Chinmoy, accompanied by the loud roar
        > of gasburners 27.000 candles came to life. It was marvellous,
        > the cake got hot like anything though and the flames rose up
        > in the air more than half a meter, the wax was flowing in big
        > torrents from the cake. The candles were lit in a little over
        > one minute, the counters came running by, the video-people
        > came and then the cake was offered to Sri Chinmoy (or rather
        > Sri Chinmoy came walking to the trays of cakes that were
        > spread out over about 4 tables.) Sri Chinmoy meditated for a
        > few moments on the cascade of little flames congratulating
        > him on his 74th birthday. Now they had to extinguish this sea
        > of fire again. I really thought the whole cake was burning
        > down completely and for a moment I thought it would be even
        > worse and they would have to use fire extinguishers. I felt
        > sorry for those women that spent the whole night baking this
        > cake that was consumed by the fire gods in such a little
        > time. But a little miracle happened. they started blowing and
        > they really managed to blow out flames of half a meter high!
        > I think some higher force was helping them other wise I think
        > it wouldn't have even been possible to come close enough to
        > the cake to start blowing. To everybody's great surprise they
        > managed to blow out all the candles! The women that spent the
        > whole night baking spent another hour taking of all the
        > candles and a thick layer of wax and then they put on a new
        > layer of icing. Everybody present got a big piece of this
        > blessed miracle-birthday-cake! It tasted heavenly!
        >
        > greetings Mark
      • prashphutita
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
          Hullo Mark and Sharani,

          Thank-you for your accounts of Ashrita's new Guinness World Record
          attempt: you both really captured the sequence of events, as well as
          the spirit of the moment, extremely well! I would add that, from my
          position up on the bleachers (while taking photos of the whole
          experience), I was surprised by the enormous heat generated -- and
          discernible at such a distance -- by all those candles. I was
          expecting them to put out a goodly quantity of light, which they most
          certainly did, but as the heat generated began to increase with
          thousands more candles coming "online" every few seconds, I was
          definitely very concerned, as you were. Like Mark says, "some higher
          force was helping".

          You can follow a visual tour of the events as they unfolded on that
          evening right here:

          http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/gallery/members/prashphutita/27000_Candles_August27th_2005/

          Alternatively, if that link has become "broken" as a result of
          posting, you may use:

          http://tinyurl.com/83jsw

          Enjoy the Album, and please let us know your comments (and
          experiences, if you were there on that evening).

          Ciao for now,

          Prashphutita, Melbourne

        • sarah_inseattle
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
            Hi all,

            I counted the blow torches before they started lighting the candles;
            I think I got to 49, so I'm guessing there were 50!

            I, too, was up on the bleachers and felt the incredible heat. To
            me, the lighted cake looked like hot lava.

            And the cake was delcious! Kind of lemony and surprisingly moist.

            Sarah
            Seattle

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, prashphutita

          • dikshaa2005
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2005
              Further to Sharani's comment regarding the road of light which is
              exactly how it looked, I also felt that the rolling flames were
              intensely purifying everything and everyone. At that moment ignorance
              and darkness were being transformed into light. For this record,
              everyone there was a participant. I feel that this has been one of
              the most inspiring and thrilling of all of Ashrita's records.

              I am glad to know that I was not the only one wondering how could
              those roaring flames be blown out so quickly and easily.

            • tejal_light01
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 2005
                Hi

                Just to add some details to the record. As one of the fortunate
                partisipants of the Ashrita's record, I remember that maybe 47 (one of
                the favorite numbers of Sri Chinmoy) people lit the candles.

                And the most difficult thing was afterwards to blow out the candles.
                The heat was so enormous that we couldn't get even close to the cakes.
                My face was afterwards warm with heat. I also started wondering how
                the candles will be blown out.

                But as Mark said some higher force was involved definitely and after
                several attempts we have all found that the candles are finally
                surrending. I belive that also beside us participating was also very
                unusual experince to others watching it.

                Tejal

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle

              • purnakama2000
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Yes Diksha!

                  Purifying. That's what struck me. It was like watching the purifying
                  fire of a Puja from ancient India where the cosmic gods and
                  goddesses would come and dance the dance of divine victory.
                  Transformation and purification delight.

                  Purnakama
                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dikshaa2005

                • dikshaa2005
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
                    Exactly! I am so grateful to have been there.

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, purnakama2000

                  • beverly_canada
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 11, 2005
                      Road of light, fire of purification, now, thanks to your photographic
                      expertise, Prashphutita, new views can be seen of 27,000 lit candles
                      on the cake celebrating Sri Chinmoy's 74th birthday. Individual
                      candle flames are discernible, like the light of individual seekers,
                      inside the unified mass of brilliance. In mid leap, fire is frozen,
                      in forms reminiscent of solar flares from the surface of the sun.
                      Thank you for these inspiring images.

                      Some poems and aphorisms by Sri Chinmoy on candles, fire, and flame:

                      God only wants our heart-candle-flames
                      To grow into
                      The all-illumining inner Sun.

                      -Sri Chinmoy