a marathon not run alone

  • jwalanta_de
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
      For the first time ever in my life I was able to train seriously for a
      marathon. In autumn 2004 I was sick of barly finishing marathons,
      dying somewhere between Mile 15 and 20. The self transcendence
      Marathon 2005 should be different. No dying and if possible break my
      15 year old PB.

      Before I say anything about me and my marathon performance I'd like to
      thank my trainer Uwe from Heidelberg, Germany. He spend hours with me
      on the phone listening to my problems with running schedules and
      workout sessions. His support was of tremendous help. Without him I
      would not be able to achieve any of the above mentioned goals.

      Second I'd like to thank Sri Chinmoy, for it is because of him that I
      find inner support and rest in our Lord Supreme. Without God I would
      not run a marathon at all and it is because of him that I can finish a
      marathon. In surrendering my entire being to God I find strength.
      Strength strongly needed to cover such a long distance.

      Third I'd like to thank Ambarish from Dublin, Ireland for running with
      me for almost the whole distance and making the run so entertaining.
      Last but not least a big THANK YOU to all the supporters and friends
      on the course that cheered us up.

      Because of all this I feld like not running alone. They all ran with
      me and made it possible to run my fastest marathon. Even though I had
      a strong energy loss in lap 6 and wanted to stop after lap 7 my final
      time was 3:42:09 hours. This is 13 minutes off my old PB from 15 years
      ago and 33 minutes better than last years performance.

      Straight after the race I did not feel any joy. It seemed that my body
      was too busy to recover from dehydration and exhaustion. Happiness
      came after about 45 minutes after I crossed the finish line. A wave of
      gratitude flooded my being. Thank you for that experience.

      Once again: Thank you everybody out there for your support.

      Jwalanta
    • morrisklein27
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30, 2005
        I know it's unspiritual to brag about how expensive my prep school
        was... but I can't resist!

        If you also went to a private school, please contact me off board and
        we can see whose school cost more!

        Morris "Colgate" Klein
      • arpan_deangelo
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          Congratulations, Jwalanta and all the marathoners!!!!!!!!!!
          That was a heroic effort and a good time.

          If you want to keep pursuing your training or transcending your
          achievements in the running world I can help you to some extent.
          Even though we do not always identify ourselves with running or fast
          racing, the discipline itself goes beyond the running identity into
          spiritual realms as you now know. I have struggled with this for 33
          years since I started running in 1972, but I am still going and so is
          my spiritual life.

          My 'Seven Steps to a Successful Marathon' is a start, but I would love
          to offer more personal advice to anyone who is inspired to take the
          steps to stay in shape, especially for matathons. I myself had a
          pretty good marathon after a year of not such fast racing and now I am
          inspired to try to get close to or even break 3 hours again (at my
          age, which is more than twice the marathon distance if you know what I
          mean)

          If I can do that, or even get close, I feel that many younger runners
          can and should try to go at least under 3:30 for the marathon. It is
          not that difficult unless we let our minds surrender to fear and
          laziness. It is a thrilling experience which is worth all the effort
          bgoth on a physical health level, mental health level and spiritual
          level as well.

          Try it! Go for it!! Anyone who is even thinking about a faster
          marathon, talk to me or email me. I feel like there were far too many
          much younger runners behind me in the marathon. I need more
          competition. Let's go, now's the time.!!

          Don't wait until next year. Stay in shape and keep racing shorter,
          easier races. Lots more advice for anyone who wants it. Soon I will
          have a website up called arpan.com with lots more inspiration for runners.
          Contact me in the meantime.
          Gratefully training,
          Arpan

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jwalanta_de
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > For the first time ever in my life I was able to train seriously for a
          > marathon. In autumn 2004 I was sick of barly finishing marathons,
          > dying somewhere between Mile 15 and 20. The self transcendence
          > Marathon 2005 should be different. No dying and if possible break my
          > 15 year old PB.
          >
          > Before I say anything about me and my marathon performance I'd like to
          > thank my trainer Uwe from Heidelberg, Germany. He spend hours with me
          > on the phone listening to my problems with running schedules and
          > workout sessions. His support was of tremendous help. Without him I
          > would not be able to achieve any of the above mentioned goals.
          >
          > Second I'd like to thank Sri Chinmoy, for it is because of him that I
          > find inner support and rest in our Lord Supreme. Without God I would
          > not run a marathon at all and it is because of him that I can finish a
          > marathon. In surrendering my entire being to God I find strength.
          > Strength strongly needed to cover such a long distance.
          >
          > Third I'd like to thank Ambarish from Dublin, Ireland for running with
          > me for almost the whole distance and making the run so entertaining.
          > Last but not least a big THANK YOU to all the supporters and friends
          > on the course that cheered us up.
          >
          > Because of all this I feld like not running alone. They all ran with
          > me and made it possible to run my fastest marathon. Even though I had
          > a strong energy loss in lap 6 and wanted to stop after lap 7 my final
          > time was 3:42:09 hours. This is 13 minutes off my old PB from 15 years
          > ago and 33 minutes better than last years performance.
          >
          > Straight after the race I did not feel any joy. It seemed that my body
          > was too busy to recover from dehydration and exhaustion. Happiness
          > came after about 45 minutes after I crossed the finish line. A wave of
          > gratitude flooded my being. Thank you for that experience.
          >
          > Once again: Thank you everybody out there for your support.
          >
          > Jwalanta
        • tejal_light01
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
            Hi Arpan

            My PB is around 3.20. And although is not good to reveal plans, since
            it always becomes more difficult to realize them, I plan to improve it.
            So any "expert" advice from you, that you feel can help me is very,
            very welcomed.

            Thanks in advance

            In running oneness
            Tejal

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo

          • tejal_light01
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
              Hi Jwalanta

              Congratulations for your marathon!
              I tried my best also to break PB but some stomach problems took my
              precious minutes. Anyway I will remember this marathon since I had
              many uplifting experiences listening the Sri Chinmoy's music in the
              very soulful arrangement of the two Russian girls Kushali and Rajeshri
              called Silence and Sound.
              As Arpan has said I also love the running since it gave me and it
              still gives me some of my highest spiritual experiences.

              In Self-transcendence oneness
              Tejal

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > For the first time ever in my life I was able to train seriously for a
              > marathon. In autumn 2004 I was sick of barly finishing marathons,
              > dying somewhere between Mile 15 and 20. The self transcendence
              > Marathon 2005 should be different. No dying and if possible break my
              > 15 year old PB.
              >
              > Before I say anything about me and my marathon performance I'd like to
              > thank my trainer Uwe from Heidelberg, Germany. He spend hours with me
              > on the phone listening to my problems with running schedules and
              > workout sessions. His support was of tremendous help. Without him I
              > would not be able to achieve any of the above mentioned goals.
              >
              > Second I'd like to thank Sri Chinmoy, for it is because of him that I
              > find inner support and rest in our Lord Supreme. Without God I would
              > not run a marathon at all and it is because of him that I can finish a
              > marathon. In surrendering my entire being to God I find strength.
              > Strength strongly needed to cover such a long distance.
              >
              > Third I'd like to thank Ambarish from Dublin, Ireland for running with
              > me for almost the whole distance and making the run so entertaining.
              > Last but not least a big THANK YOU to all the supporters and friends
              > on the course that cheered us up.
              >
              > Because of all this I feld like not running alone. They all ran with
              > me and made it possible to run my fastest marathon. Even though I had
              > a strong energy loss in lap 6 and wanted to stop after lap 7 my final
              > time was 3:42:09 hours. This is 13 minutes off my old PB from 15 years
              > ago and 33 minutes better than last years performance.
              >
              > Straight after the race I did not feel any joy. It seemed that my body
              > was too busy to recover from dehydration and exhaustion. Happiness
              > came after about 45 minutes after I crossed the finish line. A wave of
              > gratitude flooded my being. Thank you for that experience.
              >
              > Once again: Thank you everybody out there for your support.
              >
              > Jwalanta
            • hubertfromsalzburg
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
                THANK YOU ARPAN -

                i accept the challenge. i am inspired to go beyond my limitations.
                i had 3:22 this year, 3:20 is my best and i would be very grateful for
                your coaching.

                Runningly Yours in the SUPREME RUNNER

                hubert

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                > > me for almost the whole distance and making the run so entertaining.
                > > Last but not least a big THANK YOU to all the supporters and friends
                > > on the course that cheered us up.
                > >
                > > Because of all this I feld like not running alone. They all ran with
                > > me and made it possible to run my fastest marathon. Even though I had
                > > a strong energy loss in lap 6 and wanted to stop after lap 7 my final
                > > time was 3:42:09 hours. This is 13 minutes off my old PB from 15 years
                > > ago and 33 minutes better than last years performance.
                > >
                > > Straight after the race I did not feel any joy. It seemed that my body
                > > was too busy to recover from dehydration and exhaustion. Happiness
                > > came after about 45 minutes after I crossed the finish line. A wave of
                > > gratitude flooded my being. Thank you for that experience.
                > >
                > > Once again: Thank you everybody out there for your support.

              • arpan_deangelo
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
                  You can definitely get closwe to or break 3hours.
                  Please check out my reply to message 14728 where I reply to Tejal. It
                  should be posted on the same day as this one.

                  If we can inspire each other to transcend our marathon times I am sure
                  that there will be many people next year doing PB's and making
                  progress in other fields of endeavor as well. There is a reason we are
                  encouraged by our Teacher to try to transcend ourselves in the
                  marathon world for us runners who can do so. It is obviously not for
                  money, name or fame, or pride of any sort. It is a thrilling way to
                  make fast and healthy progress to a goal which is all the time trying
                  to pull us and help us at the same time.

                  If we do not move our bodies and train regularly, we cannot get the
                  momentum in our outer or inner life to progress rapidly. Just like in
                  a marathon, I find the faster I run it the more enjoyable and easier
                  it is. But we cannot fool our bodies. We have to put in the time and
                  effort in proper fashion to get the results we are aiming at. Little
                  by little, step by step, day by day those results are happening with
                  proper training and aspiration.

                  Start by visualiziing your goal, say 2:55, and keep it in your mind
                  all the time while training. The goal will be there inwardly even
                  though outwardly it will take lots of effort and time to mannifest.
                  Slowly you will see yourself getting closer over a year or two and
                  with patience and perseversance along with the aspiration to want to
                  reach the goal, you will definitely reach it no matter what. Once you
                  reach it, you will have a new standard and level of fitness and
                  aspiration which will inspire and pull others along.

                  Even if we cannot always maintain that outer level of fitness, it will
                  always be there inwardly and will manifest in other ways as well in
                  our life. So keep training and I can give you key advice to easily and
                  enjoyably get that marathon time down and down. Se if you can get me
                  on internal mail though. Tell your aspiring marathon friends,
                  especially the young and upcoming runners.
                  We need more good marathoners in this generation as my generation is
                  slowing down outwardly but hopefully not inwardly.

                  Slower but happier,
                  Arpan

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, hubertfromsalzburg

                • jwalanta_de
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
                    Hi Arpan,

                    I was very happy to read your posting. You are writing very
                    inspirational. Runners of any category (beginner to professional)
                    should definately read your 7 steps to a successful marathon. Here is
                    the link:

                    http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/us/resources/seven_steps/

                    As I said this was the first time ever that I seriously trained for
                    the marathon. I actually started training last autumn and it gave me a
                    lot of joy and enthusiasm. Diversified training is a key point for me.
                    I really love going out in nature and run trails. To go an a track the
                    next day is then much more fun.

                    I fully agree with Arpan that there were way too many young runners
                    behind him. This also includes me. :-( Fortunately this gives me
                    plenty of space for more PBs :-)

                    Happy training to all of you
                    Jwalanta