Re: A Very Special Phone Call

  • martinfromzurich
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 4:26 AM
      Shane, thank you for telling us about this phonecal.
      It's always a wonderfull experienc when Sri Chinmoy calls.
      Sometimes he calls on our German Joy-Days too. It's so inspiring
      to hear in his words the latest news or any past story.
      At times we sang some songs but usually we are too many
      people for individual calls. Thank you for sharing this.

      Martin

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > We had a very special phone call from Sri Chinmoy after last night's
      > meditation. He was going to call the Irish Joy Day a couple of weeks
      > ago but couldn't, but it was more than made up for last night. He
      > spent about seventeen minutes on the phone, calling each one of us
      up
      > in turn for a special blessing, including Mangala's parents who are
      > also disciples and had come over for three weeks from the city of
      > Kursk, Russia.
      >
      > It really seemed as if Sri Chinmoy was trying to squeeze in as much
      > encouragement to our small and growing Centre as was possible into
      one
      > phone call. We sang a few songs over the speaker phone and were met
      > with (unexpectedly) lavish praise. He then went on to regale us
      with a
      > few anecdotes relating to his visit's to Ireland in the early
      1970's,
      > acknowleging at first that we might have heard them before, and
      > proceeding to tell them anyway just for the joy of telling them.
      >
      > He told of meeting the President at the time, Eamon de Valera, who
      > asked a volley of questions concerning the Bible - he passed the
      > 'examination' with flying colours and De Valera was very satisfied
      > with the answers. He also told of how Ireland was the first country
      > give Sri Chinmoy the sobriquet 'Guru' - journalists from the
      national
      > papers had to go up flight after flight of stairs to his room
      because
      > the elevator wasn't working, and in their articles the next day they
      > called him 'Guru'. "Two good stories, and now one bad one",Sri
      Chinmoy
      > announced, telling us about how after a lecture delivered in Trinity
      > College they were in a restauraunt, and a fight broke out between
      two
      > young men outside which quickly spread inside. The police came
      running
      > in and everyone was trying to leave the restauraunt as quickly as
      > possible. Sri Chinmoy said he had great memories of Ireland "except
      > for the fighting".
      >
      > His storytelling reminded me of the old Irish seanchai
      (storytellers)
      > how they could take the same tale and imbue it over and over again
      > with the same joy and freshness. I have heard these tales quite a
      few
      > times from Guru (Mangala reckons she's heard some of them around
      seven
      > times) but every time there is a newness about the telling as if it
      > were something that happened only yesterday. With each retelling the
      > stories aquire a new flicker or flourish.
      >
      > He then spoke to us in beautiful language about having a strong
      > "heart-garden" (such a beautiful metaphor for a Centre) before
      finally
      > blessing us all with greatest love and gratitude.
      >
      > Shane
    • kamalika_gyorgyjakab
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4 9:35 AM
        So you finally got that well deserved call, Shane?
        Well, I must say, those Joy Days in Ireland about three weeks ago
        were such a fantastic week-end (crowning Dipika's equally masterful,
        perfectly engineered and presented Buddha-play I had watched the
        night before that in London), so nicely organised, a real treat of
        fun and excellent food too, that no wonder, you all were ready for
        some personal conversation...
        Love to all you fellows,
        Kamalika