English Channel World Swim Record Set Today!

  • ahelee_sf
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      Germany's Christof Wandratsch
      broke The English Channel World Record today
      Monday, August 1, 2005
      7 hours 3 minutes 53 seconds
      Previous record was American Chad Hundeby in 1994,
      7 hours, 17 minutes
      ********************

      Early this morning when I signed on to my computer, I first had a
      message from Jwalanta asking me "just what is happening in The
      English Channel Swimming World and why haven't I updated my swimming
      column yet this season?" Well, he did say it nicer than that, but I
      got the jist of his message...

      Then another message from Bigalita informing me that our English
      Channel Team's German swimmer, Beate Kunze, is in The Channel NOW
      making her crossing attempt!

      Getting a little worried that I am loosing my swimming watery
      intuition here... But not really. The fact is that there is a whole
      lot of swimming news in the world right now -so much it is hard to
      keep up!

      The World Swimming Championships just wrapped up in Montreal last
      night.
      The Americans, Australians, Japanese, Germans, and Russians came
      away with top honors. South Africa also had some stunning swims and
      world records.

      And a very athletic golden retriever dog named Jake and his human
      dad (Jeff) swam the Alcatraz Island Crossing in San Francisco on
      Saturday, beating nearly 3/4 of the swimming field!
      The photos on the links below are really fun!
      http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8787598

      http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?
      ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050726005515&newsLang=en

      http://www.wltx.com/fyi/fyi.aspx?storyid=29318

      I met Jake and Jeff and did a little media work for their story. It
      was a bit like working on a story for Ashrita. You know, when the
      news desk calls back and says, "Now let me get this straight..."

      I haven't got an update for Bea and her swim across The Channel yet.
      She must still be swimming. So give her a little inner world cheer
      and energy for bolt fast speed to hit the shores of France!
      _
      Ahelee
      San Francisco
    • dietlclaudia
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        Hello Everyone,

        we just got the message that Bea finished the Channel swim in a time
        of about 14 hours.
        This is a great time and it was so inspiring to see her during the
        last weeks when she prepared herself for the Channel. Can you imagine
        that she could hardly swim before?
        Three years ago when she became a disciple she got some information
        about the channel and was immediately inspired. So then she started
        to learn it. And a few months ago she had to start new, as she wanted
        to learn a new style which was faster. She was totally determined and
        trained hard for weeks, and now she did it - Hurray!

        I think that is really something :-))))
        And we will definitely have a nice celebration here in Munich when
        she comes back!!!

        Claudia

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ahelee_sf

      • dietlclaudia
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
          Hi,

          now I got further details on Bea's swim. She had to struggle a lot
          and it must have been more than a challenge. The problem was neither
          the weather nor her condition but outer hindrances like:

          - food supply failed
          - she had no water for 3 hours
          - she lost her bathing cap and had troubles with her hair in her face
          (fortunately it is not too long, but they had to cut parts of it out)
          - she had Vaseline on her swimming glasses and could not see anything

          and her time was 14 hours and 9 minutes. Under these conditions this
          is not only great - it's PHANTASTIC!!!