A Very Special Phone Call

  • shane_dublincentre
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      We had a very special phone call from Sri Chinmoy after last night's
      meditation. He was going to call the Irish Joy Day a couple of weeks
      ago but couldn't, but it was more than made up for last night. He
      spent about seventeen minutes on the phone, calling each one of us up
      in turn for a special blessing, including Mangala's parents who are
      also disciples and had come over for three weeks from the city of
      Kursk, Russia.

      It really seemed as if Sri Chinmoy was trying to squeeze in as much
      encouragement to our small and growing Centre as was possible into one
      phone call. We sang a few songs over the speaker phone and were met
      with (unexpectedly) lavish praise. He then went on to regale us with a
      few anecdotes relating to his visit's to Ireland in the early 1970's,
      acknowleging at first that we might have heard them before, and
      proceeding to tell them anyway just for the joy of telling them.

      He told of meeting the President at the time, Eamon de Valera, who
      asked a volley of questions concerning the Bible - he passed the
      'examination' with flying colours and De Valera was very satisfied
      with the answers. He also told of how Ireland was the first country to
      give Sri Chinmoy the sobriquet 'Guru' - journalists from the national
      papers had to go up flight after flight of stairs to his room because
      the elevator wasn't working, and in their articles the next day they
      called him 'Guru'. "Two good stories, and now one bad one",Sri Chinmoy
      announced, telling us about how after a lecture delivered in Trinity
      College they were in a restauraunt, and a fight broke out between two
      young men outside which quickly spread inside. The police came running
      in and everyone was trying to leave the restauraunt as quickly as
      possible. Sri Chinmoy said he had great memories of Ireland "except
      for the fighting".

      His storytelling reminded me of the old Irish seanchai (storytellers)
      how they could take the same tale and imbue it over and over again
      with the same joy and freshness. I have heard these tales quite a few
      times from Guru (Mangala reckons she's heard some of them around seven
      times) but every time there is a newness about the telling as if it
      were something that happened only yesterday. With each retelling the
      stories aquire a new flicker or flourish.

      He then spoke to us in beautiful language about having a strong
      "heart-garden" (such a beautiful metaphor for a Centre) before finally
      blessing us all with greatest love and gratitude.

      Shane
    • martinfromzurich
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        Shane, thank you for telling us about this phonecal.
        It's always a wonderfull experienc when Sri Chinmoy calls.
        Sometimes he calls on our German Joy-Days too. It's so inspiring
        to hear in his words the latest news or any past story.
        At times we sang some songs but usually we are too many
        people for individual calls. Thank you for sharing this.

        Martin

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre

      • kamalika_gyorgyjakab
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
          So you finally got that well deserved call, Shane?
          Well, I must say, those Joy Days in Ireland about three weeks ago
          were such a fantastic week-end (crowning Dipika's equally masterful,
          perfectly engineered and presented Buddha-play I had watched the
          night before that in London), so nicely organised, a real treat of
          fun and excellent food too, that no wonder, you all were ready for
          some personal conversation...
          Love to all you fellows,
          Kamalika