Re: Holy Dal

  • ahelee_sf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
      The significant thing about Dal for me is... THE CILANTRO!!
      When we do the restuarant chopping, one of my jobs is prepping the
      fresh cilantro for the dal. Our cooks make it fresh everyday at
      Ananda Fuara.
      If you ask my imagination, fresh cilantro smells nearly like heaven.
      More than anything else in the kitchen. It takes me right out of
      this city!
      The next good thing about chopping is the basil which goes into
      mushroon gravy. I don't get to cusinart the basil as often as the
      cilantro, so it is more of an escape to Golden Gate Park.

      Still looking for an herb that will simply cut through the San
      Francisco fog. They say the scent of orange blossoms will transform
      anything into sunshine. Just need a recipe to suggest for the
      kitchen to use!
      _
      Ahelee
      P.S. I am also amazed (and happy) at how many customers go for the
      dal too!

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, volkhardtoz
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Undoubtedly our most popular and remarked upon dish at Joy-
      Discovery
      > cafe is the dal. It is also coincidently the dish that gives me
      the
      > most joy to make. I always start my day making the dal, so my
      focus
      > is at it's highest,it has become a very sacred time for me. I
      don't
      > know what it is about dal but there is something innately
      spiritual
      > about this simple lentil soup. I always feel obligated to give it
      my
      > all. Sometimes I loose myself while stirring the pot of dal and
      > marvelling at it's golden delight. As for the aroma, well it just
      > soothes the soul. If I am uable to meditate well in the morning, a
      > few minutes of stirring the dal does wonders to keep my thoughts
      at
      > bay.
      >
      > I think it is the simplicity and sincerity of dal that I
      appriciate
      > the most.It has no desire to be fancy and attract attention,it's
      only
      > goal is to satisfy and fulfill. It may be a simple dish to prepare
      > but the way in which it is made can result in a pot of gold or a
      pot
      > of slush.
      >
      > Now some people may say I'm a little obsessed, and perhaps they
      are
      > right.However my obsession has seemed to spread throughout Joy-
      > Discovery as our new saying when anything suprising or shocking
      > occurs is "HOLY DAL!" :)
      >
      > We could probably write a book of all the
      > experiences we have had at Joy-Discovery that involve the Dal.
      There
      > are many custumers who have become quite addicted to it . One of
      our
      > regulars used to come in every day for weeks and ask to look at
      all
      > the dishes, then after marvelling over the various creations she
      > would say "I think I'll have the dal"
      >
      > If anyone has any insights on the significance of Dal, or any dal
      > stories I would be overjoyed to hear them.
    • bernice131313
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        Dear Kate,

        Would a recipe be out of the question?

        I recall enjoying your dal at Sushimitam's place earlier this year
        during a joy weekend in Geelong. It was wonderful!

        In exchange, I'd like to offer something by Sri Chinmoy....

        "The food of my eyes is scenery. The food of my nose is fragrance.
        The food of my ears is spiritual teaching. The food of my mind is
        clarity. The food of my heart is purity. The food of my soul is
        Liberation."

        Excerpt from Arise! Awake! Thoughts Of A Yogi.
        http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/arise-awake-yogi/341.html

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Undoubtedly our most popular and remarked upon dish at Joy-
        Discovery
        > cafe is the dal. It is also coincidently the dish that gives me the
        > most joy to make. I always start my day making the dal, so my focus
        > is at it's highest,it has become a very sacred time for me. I don't
        > know what it is about dal but there is something innately spiritual
        > about this simple lentil soup. I always feel obligated to give it
        my
        > all. Sometimes I loose myself while stirring the pot of dal and
        > marvelling at it's golden delight. As for the aroma, well it just
        > soothes the soul. If I am uable to meditate well in the morning, a
        > few minutes of stirring the dal does wonders to keep my thoughts at
        > bay.
        >
        > I think it is the simplicity and sincerity of dal that I appriciate
        > the most.It has no desire to be fancy and attract attention,it's
        only
        > goal is to satisfy and fulfill. It may be a simple dish to prepare
        > but the way in which it is made can result in a pot of gold or a
        pot
        > of slush.
        >
        > Now some people may say I'm a little obsessed, and perhaps they are
        > right.However my obsession has seemed to spread throughout Joy-
        > Discovery as our new saying when anything suprising or shocking
        > occurs is "HOLY DAL!" :)
        >
        > We could probably write a book of all the
        > experiences we have had at Joy-Discovery that involve the Dal.
        There
        > are many custumers who have become quite addicted to it . One of
        our
        > regulars used to come in every day for weeks and ask to look at all
        > the dishes, then after marvelling over the various creations she
        > would say "I think I'll have the dal"
        >
        > If anyone has any insights on the significance of Dal, or any dal
        > stories I would be overjoyed to hear them.
      • volkhardtoz
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
          Thankyou Bernice for posting that beautiful poem of Sri Chinmoy's. As
          for the recipe I'm afraid it is a little too secret and sacred to
          post. I would be in big trouble from my colleges!. However since you
          are a very trustworthy and deserving person I may consider faxing you
          a copy. I can tell you the most important ingredient though, it is
          LOVE. Whatever else goes into it is perfectly complemented by this
          all fullfilling flavour.

          -- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bernice131313