Holy Dal

  • volkhardtoz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
      Undoubtedly our most popular and remarked upon dish at Joy-Discovery
      cafe is the dal. It is also coincidently the dish that gives me the
      most joy to make. I always start my day making the dal, so my focus
      is at it's highest,it has become a very sacred time for me. I don't
      know what it is about dal but there is something innately spiritual
      about this simple lentil soup. I always feel obligated to give it my
      all. Sometimes I loose myself while stirring the pot of dal and
      marvelling at it's golden delight. As for the aroma, well it just
      soothes the soul. If I am uable to meditate well in the morning, a
      few minutes of stirring the dal does wonders to keep my thoughts at
      bay.

      I think it is the simplicity and sincerity of dal that I appriciate
      the most.It has no desire to be fancy and attract attention,it's only
      goal is to satisfy and fulfill. It may be a simple dish to prepare
      but the way in which it is made can result in a pot of gold or a pot
      of slush.

      Now some people may say I'm a little obsessed, and perhaps they are
      right.However my obsession has seemed to spread throughout Joy-
      Discovery as our new saying when anything suprising or shocking
      occurs is "HOLY DAL!" :)

      We could probably write a book of all the
      experiences we have had at Joy-Discovery that involve the Dal. There
      are many custumers who have become quite addicted to it . One of our
      regulars used to come in every day for weeks and ask to look at all
      the dishes, then after marvelling over the various creations she
      would say "I think I'll have the dal"

      If anyone has any insights on the significance of Dal, or any dal
      stories I would be overjoyed to hear them.
    • ahelee_sf
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
        The significant thing about Dal for me is... THE CILANTRO!!
        When we do the restuarant chopping, one of my jobs is prepping the
        fresh cilantro for the dal. Our cooks make it fresh everyday at
        Ananda Fuara.
        If you ask my imagination, fresh cilantro smells nearly like heaven.
        More than anything else in the kitchen. It takes me right out of
        this city!
        The next good thing about chopping is the basil which goes into
        mushroon gravy. I don't get to cusinart the basil as often as the
        cilantro, so it is more of an escape to Golden Gate Park.

        Still looking for an herb that will simply cut through the San
        Francisco fog. They say the scent of orange blossoms will transform
        anything into sunshine. Just need a recipe to suggest for the
        kitchen to use!
        _
        Ahelee
        P.S. I am also amazed (and happy) at how many customers go for the
        dal too!

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, volkhardtoz

      • bernice131313
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          Dear Kate,

          Would a recipe be out of the question?

          I recall enjoying your dal at Sushimitam's place earlier this year
          during a joy weekend in Geelong. It was wonderful!

          In exchange, I'd like to offer something by Sri Chinmoy....

          "The food of my eyes is scenery. The food of my nose is fragrance.
          The food of my ears is spiritual teaching. The food of my mind is
          clarity. The food of my heart is purity. The food of my soul is
          Liberation."

          Excerpt from Arise! Awake! Thoughts Of A Yogi.
          http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/arise-awake-yogi/341.html

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
            Thankyou Bernice for posting that beautiful poem of Sri Chinmoy's. As
            for the recipe I'm afraid it is a little too secret and sacred to
            post. I would be in big trouble from my colleges!. However since you
            are a very trustworthy and deserving person I may consider faxing you
            a copy. I can tell you the most important ingredient though, it is
            LOVE. Whatever else goes into it is perfectly complemented by this
            all fullfilling flavour.

            -- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bernice131313