Handel's Messiah

  • bernice131313
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2005
      Last year my dad bought tickets for the whole family to see a
      performance of Handel's Messiah at the Sydney Opera House. For those
      unfamiliar with it, Handel's Messiah is the story of the life of
      Jesus Christ, set to music. The performers included a big orchestra,
      soloists and a huge choir.

      I loved the performance so much. We had the best seats that I think
      you can get (thanks Dad!). We were just to the right of the
      orchestra, looking straight down onto them, with the mass of sopranos
      right next to us. Altos, tenors and basses were not that far from us
      either.

      It was a whole new experience being so close to the performers. The
      intimacy was wonderful. We could even see musicians preparing for
      their parts - eg the timpani player with her ear right down close to
      the huge drums, ever so quietly and discretely tapping away, tuning
      them up for about 10 minutes prior to the famous Hallelujia chorus.

      It was a great big sound and I was in heaven.

      To top it off I was awestruck by the incredible alertness,
      concentration and precision of the mass of performers. I felt that
      the perfection they embodied during their performance was a real
      inspiration.

      How would the world be if we could all be that focused and ready in
      our day to day lives, with God as our only conductor?

      Bernice