The Sub 2 Hour Marathon

  • ahelee_sf
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
      Lots of you were so very fortunate to have been present at the talk
      Sri Chinmoy gave a few years ago regarding this 2 hour time barrier
      for the marathon. Some may have already read Sujantra's paraphrase of
      this most significant talk. I read it very early on when I became a
      student of Sri Chinmoy's. It changed the way I look at everything,
      including all of the activities outside my athletic life.

      I had the opportunity to share it with Khalid just months before he
      lowered the world marathon record. He commented that yes, it would
      take something beyond just the physical training to run faster than
      they were running now. They were running so much, so hard and so
      specifically. And all the best nutrition and body work are available
      to these elite athletes. He agreed, the extra speed would come from
      the inner work they could still accomplish in great measure.

      Please share this inspiring talk with those who have not yet seen it.
      You never know just who you are sharing it with! Maybe the next sub 2
      hour marathoner! (It is posted at the bottom of this message)

      Nayak!
      This year, we are seeing the likes of another Emil Zatopek and beyond
      in a wonderful woman runner from England, Paula Radcliffe. She comes
      from a track running background, with incredible speed. She already
      holds world records in many distances and including the current
      women's marathon - 2:15.25 set earlier this year. There is no woman
      close to matching this speed. It is thrilling to see her run.

      It is cool and foggy here in San Francisco... they keep telling me,
      it is PERFECT running weather! Wishing you all an inspired 2 miles
      today!
      _
      Ahelee
      San Francisco
      Marathon 1:59:59
      By Sujantra McKeever

      The current world record for the men's running of the 26.2 mile
      marathon is 2 hours 5 minutes and 42 seconds. The 2 hour and 30
      minute barrier was broken in 1925. In 1967 Derek Clayton of Australia
      broke 2 hours and nine minutes. In the past 32 years only 4 minutes
      and 10 seconds has been taken off that record. 18 men have run under
      2 hours and 8 minutes.

      An excited hush falls over the crowd of 600 men and women as spiritual
      teacher Sri Chinmoy quietly enters a high-school auditorium in
      Queens, New York. The next day, 370 of his students will be at the
      starting line for the 26.2 mile New York City Marathon. Many of his
      students who are not running will be helping at the aid stations and
      finish line.

      Sri Chinmoy, poet, musician and athlete, is 67 years old, stands 5'7"
      and weighs 144 pounds. He walks humbly to the front of the room
      wearing a red and blue track suit, carrying a handful of papers. They
      are part of a literary marathon he is currently working on which,
      when completed, will span 77,000 poems. Sri Chinmoy takes his seat
      and smiles.

      Students of Sri Chinmoy have gathered from over 25 countries to spend
      the weekend with their teacher and take part in the New York City
      marathon. This evening's activities the night before the race
      included story telling, music and meditation. Sri Chinmoy meditated
      with the runners in groups according to how fast they anticipated
      running the race. He began with the slowest runners. As it turned
      out, the slowest runner would take eight hours and 30 minutes, while
      the fastest, a young man from Russia, would complete the race in two
      hours and 28 minutes.

      At last the fastest runners-those trying to break 3 hours sat down to
      meditate. Sri Chinmoy looked over the 18 athletes and fell into a
      deep,meditative silence. A feeling of peaceful yet powerful energy
      swept through the room. The runners had spent many months in
      preparation for this race. Through the power of meditation the
      nervousness and anticipation was being transformed into dynamic
      enthusiasm and focused excitement. A profound silence and joy coursed
      through minds and hearts of all present.

      Emerging from his meditation, Sri Chinmoy opened his eyes, looked
      over the runners and began to speak on one of his favorite running
      topics: the sub two-hour marathon. For the next 20 minutes, he talked
      about his heart-felt conviction that it is possible for one of his
      students, or someone else, to break the two-hour barrier. He said it
      could be done on 60 miles a week of training if a certain state of
      awareness and consciousness can be attained.
      Sri Chinmoy gives utmost importance to the role that spirit and mind
      play in sports, creative undertakings and daily activities.

      In his youth Sri Chinmoy was a decathlon champion in his native
      India. Since coming to America in 1964, he has worked tirelessly to
      unite the spiritual ideals of the ancient East with the modern
      Western world. He conveys his message through art, prose, poetry,
      music, meditation and athletics. He performs his meditative music in
      concert to millions around the world always without charge. Sri
      Chinmoy loves athletics. He has run 22 marathons and participated in
      several ultra-marathons. He is also an avid tennis player and
      weightlifter. He inspires his students to organize running
      races for their local communities around the world. These races
      include track and field competitions for senior citizens, two-mile
      fun runs, marathons, and ultra-marathons ranging from 12 and 24-hour
      races to 3100 mile multi-day races.

      Everyone in the room listened delightfully as Sri Chinmoy began to
      speak on the sub two-hour marathon, an achievement many deem
      impossible. The intensity was heightened because he said that one of
      them could be the person to break the two-hour barrier. Sri Chinmoy
      then began to elaborate on four achievements necessary to create the
      state of consciousness to run such a race. The ideas he offered can
      be applied to any activity in which one wishes to excel.

      Sri Chinmoy said that during training runs, the athlete must
      consciously offer gratitude to Mother Earth. Over the years he has
      consistently pointed toward gratitude as an emotion by which
      individuals can reach their highest potential. "Gratitude," he
      writes, "is a miracle-action in us. This miracle-action strengthens
      our physical body, purifies our vital energy, widens our mental
      vision and intensifies our psychic delight."

      By 'Mother Earth' Sri Chinmoy refers not just to the physical planet
      upon which we live, but also to the deeper Spirit, which creates,
      sustains and transforms (through birth and death) all of creation.
      God, according to Sri Chinmoy, has two aspects: masculine and
      feminine. It is the feminine aspect which brings forth and sustains
      existence and ourselves.

      The second idea Sri Chinmoy spoke of is that the runner must aspire
      toward, attain and sustain peace of mind. Peace is another quality to
      which he gives utmost importance. Sri Chinmoy often refers to himself
      as a 'student of peace'. He has said, "No price is too great to pay
      for inner peace. Peace is the harmonious control of life. It is
      vibrant with life-energy". The athlete must learn to tap into
      this 'life-energy' if he or she wishes to transcend past
      performances. It is only through a calm and serene mind that this
      energy can be found and then utilized.

      The great American sage Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Nothing can bring
      you peace but yourself." True peace springs forth when our mind is
      calm and tranquil. Sri Chinmoy says that lasting satisfaction and
      calmness stem from true detachment. This detachment is not from daily
      responsibilities, for these we must embrace to be good and true
      citizens of the world. The detachment he speaks of is from the
      thoughts which steal away our inner peace.

      Sri Chinmoy notes,
      "The greatest misfortune that can come to a human being is to lose
      his inner peace. No outer force can rob him of it. It is his own
      thoughts, his own actions that rob him of it."

      In order to attain peace in our minds, we must rise above fear,
      jealousy, insecurity, anger and any other destructive thoughts that
      threaten the potential stillness of our minds.

      An uplifting silence prevailed over the runners as they listened to
      Sri Chinmoy's words. He was describing a path toward a reality
      overflowing with potential. The surety of his vision has many times
      challenged and defeated convention. As Einstein said, "Imagination is
      more important than knowledge."

      The third issue Sri Chinmoy addressed is the necessity for the runner
      to have purity in the vital. In Sri Chinmoy's philosophy, the 'vital'
      describes the emotional and sexual dimension of the human being.
      Purity is clarity, calmness and a focused intensity toward one's
      goals. By bringing purity into our vital energy, we can realize and
      utilize the unlimited source of energy from which we are created and
      to which we are all connected. Sri Chinmoy describes this purity
      as "the feeling of a living shrine deep in the inmost recesses of
      your heart." Purified vital energy becomes manifest as enthusiasm and
      eagerness, two qualities essential for success in any noble endeavor.
      As the poet Tennyson wrote: "My strength is as the strength of ten
      because my heart is pure."

      Sri Chinmoy paused and looked out at those gathered for the race.
      Earlier in the day they had spent four hours putting together the
      31,000 bag lunches that are given to the marathon runners as they
      cross the finish line in Central Park. Many of those present would
      assist runners after the race and help pick up trash in the park till
      late the next evening.

      The fourth and final piece of advice Sri Chinmoy offered is the
      necessity of bringing discipline into the physical body. Without
      discipline in the body, one merely rides the pendulum between
      pleasure and pain. Many people spend their lives doing little else
      but seeking comfort and pleasure and trying to avoid pain. In order
      to bring forward our highest potential, we must transcend and
      transform the body's desires so that our spirit can utilize the body
      to manifest our unimagined capacities. This is best summed up in a
      poem by Sri Chinmoy:

      You can enjoy a limitless life of glory
      If you do not allow
      Your life to be bound
      By your body's rules and regulations.

      A 'limitless life of glory' dawns when we experience the undying
      spirit which is the essence and source of our physical existence. The
      seeker-athlete can learn to infuse the physical consciousness with
      the spirit's unimaginable force. It is that force which will uplift
      the runner to new levels of speed and endurance.

      Sri Chinmoy finished speaking and gently closed his eyes. A pin-drop
      silence enveloped the room. Once more he became absorbed in
      meditation.

      All of the team members, save two or three, completed the race the
      next day. They had been offered more than encouragement and
      inspiration the night before. They had been shown the golden keys to
      unlock their true potential as runners and as human beings.
      Gratitude, peace, purity and discipline are those keys. Who will have
      the courage to unlock the door?

      Perhaps you.
    • goldenboat27
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2003
        What an amazing talk!

        It reminds me of the time when the "impossible" 24-hour running
        distance of 300 km was reached in a race we organised in
        Canberra in 1997. It was astounding to see it -- a runner with
        both super-speed and super-endurance.

        Actually, one of Australia's most famous athletes has ALREADY
        done a sub 2-hour marathon. This was Olympic medallist
        Louise Sauvage.

        "But how did she do that?" I hear you ask, in your relentless
        search for truth. Not to mention: "How come nobody talks about
        it?"

        Well, as most Aussies would know, Louise is a wheelchair
        athlete, whose speed and endurance in the "chariot" (racing
        wheelchair) has won her nine Paralympic and two Olympic gold
        medals. As a chariot racer, she has won the Boston marathon
        several times, usually in under 2 hours (and always competing
        with her US arch-rival, Jean Driscoll).

        OK, so it's not quite the same as running. It's still kind of cool,
        though...

        Mark

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ahelee_sf