[off topic] The Muffins, The Number and The Question

  • durba_l
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
      Recently Dan Liebke, our Director of Statistics, got our mouths all
      watering the other day when he was offering delicious home-baked
      muffins that he had cooked himself the day before. However, we
      realised that, as with all Dan's freebies, there were strings
      attached.

      "I'm thinking of an integer from 1 to 3 (inclusive)," he
      announced. "If you can tell me the number, you'll get a muffin. So
      you've got a 1 in 3 chance of getting one."

      There was a general uproar over this and cries of unfair and we
      demanded that he at least give us a hint. "All right, all right," Dan
      said. "I'll be a bit more generous. You can ask me one yes-or-no
      answer question."

      We all looked at each other in befuddlement until Paul said, "Oh,
      hang on, I know what question to ask." He then passed this question
      on to the rest of us.

      Well . . . once we had that, we quickly cleaned Dan out of all his
      muffins. What was the question that we asked him that told us which
      number he was thinking of?
    • carr_terri
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
        The question was:

        Is the number odd or even?

        yeah?

        Terri

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, durba_l
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Recently Dan Liebke, our Director of Statistics, got our mouths all
        > watering the other day when he was offering delicious home-baked
        > muffins that he had cooked himself the day before. However, we
        > realised that, as with all Dan's freebies, there were strings
        > attached.
        >
        > "I'm thinking of an integer from 1 to 3 (inclusive)," he
        > announced. "If you can tell me the number, you'll get a muffin. So
        > you've got a 1 in 3 chance of getting one."
        >
        > There was a general uproar over this and cries of unfair and we
        > demanded that he at least give us a hint. "All right, all right,"
        Dan
        > said. "I'll be a bit more generous. You can ask me one yes-or-no
        > answer question."
        >
        > We all looked at each other in befuddlement until Paul said, "Oh,
        > hang on, I know what question to ask." He then passed this question
        > on to the rest of us.
        >
        > Well . . . once we had that, we quickly cleaned Dan out of all his
        > muffins. What was the question that we asked him that told us which
        > number he was thinking of?
      • dharmaja
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
          The question should be:

          Is the number an even number that is greater than 1?

          Dharmaja

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Recently Dan Liebke, our Director of Statistics, got our mouths all
          > watering the other day when he was offering delicious home-baked
          > muffins that he had cooked himself the day before. However, we
          > realised that, as with all Dan's freebies, there were strings
          > attached.
          >
          > "I'm thinking of an integer from 1 to 3 (inclusive)," he
          > announced. "If you can tell me the number, you'll get a muffin. So
          > you've got a 1 in 3 chance of getting one."
          >
          > There was a general uproar over this and cries of unfair and we
          > demanded that he at least give us a hint. "All right, all right,"
          Dan
          > said. "I'll be a bit more generous. You can ask me one yes-or-no
          > answer question."
          >
          > We all looked at each other in befuddlement until Paul said, "Oh,
          > hang on, I know what question to ask." He then passed this question
          > on to the rest of us.
          >
          > Well . . . once we had that, we quickly cleaned Dan out of all his
          > muffins. What was the question that we asked him that told us which
          > number he was thinking of?
        • niriha7
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
            Actually Dharmaja,

            You offered the question, "Is the number an even number that is
            greater than one?" The phrase "greater than one" has no bearing on the
            answer since there is only one even number. If he replies, "No" to
            your question obviously it will not be the number 2 but you still have
            to guess whether it is the number 1 or 3.

            If he is asked, "Is the number an odd number greater than one?" and he
            replies no, you still do not know if it is 1 or 2. He could say no
            because 2 is an even number or he could say no because 1 though an odd
            number is not greater than one. It still has to be narrowed down.
            Durba said one question would yield the answer. Niriha

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > The question should be:
            >
            > Is the number an even number that is greater than 1?
            >
            > Dharmaja
            >

            > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, durba_l
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > Recently Dan Liebke, our Director of Statistics, got our mouths all
            > > watering the other day when he was offering delicious home-baked
            > > muffins that he had cooked himself the day before. However, we
            > > realised that, as with all Dan's freebies, there were strings
            > > attached.
            > >
            > > "I'm thinking of an integer from 1 to 3 (inclusive)," he
            > > announced. "If you can tell me the number, you'll get a muffin. So
            > > you've got a 1 in 3 chance of getting one."
            > >
            > > There was a general uproar over this and cries of unfair and we
            > > demanded that he at least give us a hint. "All right, all right,"
            > Dan
            > > said. "I'll be a bit more generous. You can ask me one yes-or-no
            > > answer question."
            > >
            > > We all looked at each other in befuddlement until Paul said, "Oh,
            > > hang on, I know what question to ask." He then passed this question
            > > on to the rest of us.
            > >
            > > Well . . . once we had that, we quickly cleaned Dan out of all his
            > > muffins. What was the question that we asked him that told us which
            > > number he was thinking of?
          • stacy_p_nz
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
              What was it Durba?!?

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Recently Dan Liebke, our Director of Statistics, got our mouths all
              > watering the other day when he was offering delicious home-baked
              > muffins that he had cooked himself the day before. However, we
              > realised that, as with all Dan's freebies, there were strings
              > attached.
              >
              > "I'm thinking of an integer from 1 to 3 (inclusive)," he
              > announced. "If you can tell me the number, you'll get a muffin. So
              > you've got a 1 in 3 chance of getting one."
              >
              > There was a general uproar over this and cries of unfair and we
              > demanded that he at least give us a hint. "All right, all right," Dan
              > said. "I'll be a bit more generous. You can ask me one yes-or-no
              > answer question."
              >
              > We all looked at each other in befuddlement until Paul said, "Oh,
              > hang on, I know what question to ask." He then passed this question
              > on to the rest of us.
              >
              > Well . . . once we had that, we quickly cleaned Dan out of all his
              > muffins. What was the question that we asked him that told us which
              > number he was thinking of?
            • abhinabha
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 30, 2005
                The question is:

                Do faxed bananas taste better than fresh limes?

                Naturally, if the answer is no, the number has to be 1.
                Otherwise it is 2.
                Number 3 has never had anything to do with faxed bananas.

                If you don't believe me, go and ask Nayak.

                Abhinabha

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7

              • niriha7
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
                  I do believe that you have the correct answer Abhinabha.

                  But I also have to agree with Stacy_p_nz - Durba, what was the
                  question? But wait, don't tell us yet. I am still interested in what
                  some others may think was the magic question that made it possible to
                  guess the correct number. I am counting on Dharmaja's quick wit to
                  come up with another possibility.

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha

                • niriha7
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
                    Hello Abhinabha,

                    I was very amused by your answer to the muffin question. I think Durba
                    should bring some fresh muffins to NY for you this August.

                    Dave (Australia) must be quick on his feet because he thought of the
                    correct question to ask to find out which number Dan was thinking of.

                    Western Hemisphere, let's hear from someone on this side of the globe
                    who can figure out what question to ask. After all, we are only
                    speaking of guessing one of three numbers! Niriha

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > The question is:
                    >
                    > Do faxed bananas taste better than fresh limes?
                    >
                    > Naturally, if the answer is no, the number has to be 1.
                    > Otherwise it is 2.
                    > Number 3 has never had anything to do with faxed bananas.
                    >
                    > If you don't believe me, go and ask Nayak.
                    >
                    > Abhinabha
                    >

                    > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > Actually Dharmaja,
                    > >
                    > > You offered the question, "Is the number an even number that is
                    > > greater than one?" The phrase "greater than one" has no bearing on
                    > the
                    > > answer since there is only one even number. If he replies, "No" to
                    > > your question obviously it will not be the number 2 but you still
                    > have
                    > > to guess whether it is the number 1 or 3.
                    > >
                    > > If he is asked, "Is the number an odd number greater than one?" and
                    > he
                    > > replies no, you still do not know if it is 1 or 2. He could say no
                    > > because 2 is an even number or he could say no because 1 though an
                    > odd
                    > > number is not greater than one. It still has to be narrowed down.
                    > > Durba said one question would yield the answer. Niriha
                    > >

                    > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja
                    > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > > The question should be:
                    > > >
                    > > > Is the number an even number that is greater than 1?
                    > > >
                    > > > Dharmaja
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, durba_l
                    > all
                    > baked

                    > So

                    > right,"
                    > > > Dan
                    > no

                    > said, "Oh,
                    > question

                    > his
                    > which
                  • niriha7
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 31, 2005
                      Dear Durba,

                      What was the correct answer or in this case the correct question to
                      determine the number of the muffin?!! See post #14287

                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                      > The question is:
                      >
                      > Do faxed bananas taste better than fresh limes?
                      >
                      > Naturally, if the answer is no, the number has to be 1.
                      > Otherwise it is 2.
                      > Number 3 has never had anything to do with faxed bananas.
                      >
                      > If you don't believe me, go and ask Nayak.
                      >
                      > Abhinabha
                      >

                      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > Actually Dharmaja,
                      > >
                      > > You offered the question, "Is the number an even number that is
                      > > greater than one?" The phrase "greater than one" has no bearing on
                      > the
                      > > answer since there is only one even number. If he replies, "No" to
                      > > your question obviously it will not be the number 2 but you still
                      > have
                      > > to guess whether it is the number 1 or 3.
                      > >
                      > > If he is asked, "Is the number an odd number greater than one?" and
                      > he
                      > > replies no, you still do not know if it is 1 or 2. He could say no
                      > > because 2 is an even number or he could say no because 1 though an
                      > odd
                      > > number is not greater than one. It still has to be narrowed down.
                      > > Durba said one question would yield the answer. Niriha
                      > >

                      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja
                      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > > The question should be:
                      > > >
                      > > > Is the number an even number that is greater than 1?
                      > > >
                      > > > Dharmaja
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, durba_l
                      > all
                      > baked

                      > So

                      > right,"
                      > > > Dan
                      > no

                      > said, "Oh,
                      > question

                      > his
                      > which

                    • sarada1007
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                        Hi Niriha, well this is the answer apparently (from some puzzle web-
                        site).. I don't really get it myself but I thought I would put you
                        out of your misery. I guess they mean some number which is greater
                        than or equal to 2, but below 3. Hmm.. Not convinced.

                        Sarada

                        ----------
                        Answer: The question we asked was, "I'm thinking of a number between
                        two and three. Is my number higher than yours?"

                        If Dan answers "yes", then we know that his number is 1.

                        If Dan answers "no", then we know that his number is 3.

                        If Dan answers "I don't know", then we know that his number is 2.

                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                        > Dear Durba,
                        >
                        > What was the correct answer or in this case the correct question to
                        > determine the number of the muffin?!! See post #14287
                        >

                        > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha
                        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The question is:
                        > >
                        > > Do faxed bananas taste better than fresh limes?
                        > >
                        > > Naturally, if the answer is no, the number has to be 1.
                        > > Otherwise it is 2.
                        > > Number 3 has never had anything to do with faxed bananas.
                        > >
                        > > If you don't believe me, go and ask Nayak.
                        > >
                        > > Abhinabha
                        > >

                        > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
                        > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Actually Dharmaja,
                        > > >
                        > > > You offered the question, "Is the number an even number that is
                        > > > greater than one?" The phrase "greater than one" has no
                        bearing on
                        > > the
                        > > > answer since there is only one even number. If he
                        replies, "No" to
                        > > > your question obviously it will not be the number 2 but you
                        still
                        > > have
                        > > > to guess whether it is the number 1 or 3.
                        > > >
                        > > > If he is asked, "Is the number an odd number greater than
                        one?" and
                        > > he
                        > > > replies no, you still do not know if it is 1 or 2. He could
                        say no
                        > > > because 2 is an even number or he could say no because 1
                        though an
                        > > odd
                        > > > number is not greater than one. It still has to be narrowed
                        down.
                        > > > Durba said one question would yield the answer. Niriha
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja

                        > > all
                        > > baked
                        However, we

                        > > So

                        > > right,"
                        > > no

                        > > said, "Oh,
                        > > question

                        > > his
                        > > which

                      • niriha7
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                          Thank you Sarada. No, I have not lain awake at night pondering this -
                          I only stumbled on the thread of the muffin post when looking for
                          something on the Inspiration Group. Then I realized, "Hey, we never
                          finished this! I wonder what the answer actually was..."

                          I have to say, I am not convinced either. Sounds a bit like hedging
                          one's bets to say, "I am thinking of a number between two and three."
                          Dan could reply, "Yeah, sure, two and one half?" Then he could walk
                          away with a slight smirk (slight because I imagine he is essentially a
                          polite person) and keep all the muffins for himself.

                          I do thank you however. I find it intriguing when someone answers a
                          post and I had no idea that person was even reading messages here -
                          your noble self being a case in point.

                          Niriha

                          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarada1007
                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                          > Hi Niriha, well this is the answer apparently (from some puzzle web-
                          > site).. I don't really get it myself but I thought I would put you
                          > out of your misery. I guess they mean some number which is greater
                          > than or equal to 2, but below 3. Hmm.. Not convinced.
                          >
                          > Sarada
                          >

                          > ----------
                          > Answer: The question we asked was, "I'm thinking of a number between
                          > two and three. Is my number higher than yours?"
                          >
                          > If Dan answers "yes", then we know that his number is 1.
                          >
                          > If Dan answers "no", then we know that his number is 3.
                          >
                          > If Dan answers "I don't know", then we know that his number is 2.
                          >

                          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
                          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Dear Durba,
                          > >
                          > > What was the correct answer or in this case the correct question to
                          > > determine the number of the muffin?!! See post #14287
                          > >

                          > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha
                          > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > The question is:
                          > > >
                          > > > Do faxed bananas taste better than fresh limes?
                          > > >
                          > > > Naturally, if the answer is no, the number has to be 1.
                          > > > Otherwise it is 2.
                          > > > Number 3 has never had anything to do with faxed bananas.
                          > > >
                          > > > If you don't believe me, go and ask Nayak.
                          > > >
                          > > > Abhinabha
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7

                          > bearing on
                          > > > the
                          > replies, "No" to
                          > still
                          > > > have

                          > one?" and
                          > > > he
                          > say no
                          > though an
                          > > > odd
                          > down.

                          > mouths
                          > > > all
                          > > > baked
                          > However, we
                          > strings

                          > muffin.
                          > > > So

                          > and we
                          > > > right,"
                          > or-
                          > > > no

                          > > > said, "Oh,
                          > > > question

                          > all
                          > > > his
                          > us
                          > > > which

                        • sarada1007
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 10, 2005
                            Hello again, Niriha.

                            I have to confess that I haven't looked at the site for a while.
                            The funny thing was that the muffin question was around last time I
                            looked. And then when I came back to the site, there were those
                            muffins again.. I always love anything to do with numbers (sad, I
                            know) so I was looking for some clever answer but there actually
                            wasn't one really, it was sortof fudged.

                            Anyway.

                            I guess that's enough with the muffins.

                            Hope everyone is well!

                            Sarada