Beyond Wow

  • one_prachar
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
      In my early days on Sri Chinmoy's Path I read voraciously. That is
      what I was used to doing. I had always read books on all manner of
      subjects, like a vacuum cleaner sucking up information, theories,
      experiences and perspectives.

      So when I came to meditation classes and saw this big bookcase with
      row upon row of books, I just dove in.

      Much of what I read in Sri Chinmoy's books passed right over my head
      (still does). I loved that. I loved the sense of being in the presence
      of a higher Truth, and the dawning awareness that this Truth was
      marvellously my own, being summoned gradually from a vast network of
      unexplored caves deep below the familiar landscape of myself. This
      Truth presented itself as answers to formed questions, to unformed and
      unformable questions. It came as rain after a long, long drought.

      Some of the things gleaned from that early reading:

      . a fully realised spiritual Master can see God, everywhere and in
      everyone;
      . a true spiritual Master teaches in silence;
      . we are each a part of God, and God is within us - we ARE God.

      This was very, very good news. Not only did it change me, it changed
      the whole world around me.

      Yet it couldn't fully sink in. The landscape was blooming, sure, but
      you don't transform a desert into a tropical rainforest overnight. I
      accepted it all, because it compelled me to. But like a child seeing
      his first fireworks, I couldn't do much about it other than to mouth:
      "Wow!"

      I went to New York to see Sri Chinmoy at the first opportunity. And
      stayed for six months. A lot happened then. But the main thing that
      happened was, I saw Sri Chinmoy meditating. I mean, REALLY meditating.
      Forget the books, forget the world, forget the self, this was the real
      thing and the only thing. Those six months were one eternal moment of
      wonder and awe.

      For me, travelling was like reading books: couldn't get enough of it.
      With great anticipation, prior to going to New York I purchased an
      airline ticket that you could get in those days, on which you could
      fly unlimited miles all around the US within a certain period. The
      ticket was never used.

      It didn't matter what had been written or read, ever: when my Guru
      meditated, God was everywhere. Guru's Eyes proclaimed it. He was
      seeing, feeling, communing with and immersed in a Being so radiant,
      beautiful, powerful, blissful and omni-everything that the world
      stopped spinning.

      Then when Guru bowed with folded hands before his Beloved Supreme,
      with absolute humility, gratitude and pure devotion... you felt, you
      learned, you became the meaning and reality of these sublime
      qualities.

      Right. The books were right: a spiritual Master CAN see God, and a
      spiritual Master DOES teach in silence.

      This was now beyond wow.

      Fast-forward a year, to Sri Chinmoy's next visit to Australia. Sri
      Chinmoy offered two historic concerts in one evening in Melbourne. The
      following morning I was sitting alone at a small table in the
      almost-empty lobby restaurant of Sri Chinmoy's hotel, possibly writing
      something.

      Looking up, there was my Guru moving past outside the restaurant. My
      heart stood to attention. Turning and pushing open the glass door with
      the side of his hand and shoulder, without actually looking where he
      was going, Guru entered and his presence came towards me. I was
      already floating somehow, and couldn't think whether I should be
      standing or what. The body evidently remained seated.

      The surrounding with its gentle clatter dissolved. My Guru was here.
      Some words came from him, a few heart-melting words. Then a smile,
      from the Beyond.

      He bowed. This was the same bow I had witnessed in rapt, exalted
      moments at the conclusion of highest meditations. This was Guru's bow
      directly to the Supreme.

      With another smile, Guru turned and slowly glided off into the lobby
      of the outer world.

      In silence, Sri Chinmoy had imparted his supreme teaching: a spiritual
      Master CAN see God everywhere and in everyone; and yes, even I am God.

      Aware that somehow I was now standing, the knees bent to allow me to
      sit once more at the table, to resume whatever it was I had been doing
      prior to the moment this life was changed forever.
    • christopher_melb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28, 2005
        This is one of the most inspiring posting I have ever read. Please
        take two minutes and read it. Gratitude to Prachar for sharing this
        with us...

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, one_prachar

      • markhoogakker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2005
          Hi Prachar,

          Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us; it touched me deeply.
          Isn't it amazing how Sri Chinmoy with a simple gesture or glance
          confirms some deep wisdom inside us. We were only half conscious of
          it or conscious of it only on a mere mental level, but when we
          receive that glance or witness that small gesture this truth hits us
          like a lightning flash and enters deep inside our heart of hearts.
          Your story filled me with gratitude for Sri Chinmoy,

          thanks again,

          Mark

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          > Some words came from him, a few heart-melting words. Then a smile,
          > from the Beyond.
          >
          > He bowed. This was the same bow I had witnessed in rapt, exalted
          > moments at the conclusion of highest meditations. This was Guru's
          bow
          > directly to the Supreme.
          >
          > With another smile, Guru turned and slowly glided off into the lobby
          > of the outer world.
          >
          > In silence, Sri Chinmoy had imparted his supreme teaching: a
          spiritual
          > Master CAN see God everywhere and in everyone; and yes, even I am
          God.

          > Aware that somehow I was now standing, the knees bent to allow me to
          > sit once more at the table, to resume whatever it was I had been
          doing
          > prior to the moment this life was changed forever.
        • niriha7
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2005
            Prachar,

            When reading this story, not only was I allowed to experience the
            silent and exalted presence of Sri Chinmoy, but also I felt
            transported - I was right there completely absorbed in this magical
            experience that you related so beautifully. This story truly defines
            the meaning of "sharing".

            Like Christopher, you also managed to describe some lofty concepts in
            a manner that could be experienced by the reader. It is a benefit to
            seekers when such experiences are portrayed in a palpable way. I am
            actually allergic to spiritual platitudes that do not ring true :)
            You Aussie's are proving to be the real thing! I am thinking of the
            wonderful stories that were recently posted by your fellow compatriots
            - Karina, Christopher, Sahayak, Mark (goldenboat), your noble self
            and others that I apologize for leaving out. Niriha

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > standing or what. The body evidently remained seated.
            >
            > The surrounding with its gentle clatter dissolved. My Guru was here.
            > Some words came from him, a few heart-melting words. Then a smile,
            > from the Beyond.
            >
            > He bowed. This was the same bow I had witnessed in rapt, exalted
            > moments at the conclusion of highest meditations. This was Guru's bow
            > directly to the Supreme.
            >
            > With another smile, Guru turned and slowly glided off into the lobby
            > of the outer world.
            >
            > In silence, Sri Chinmoy had imparted his supreme teaching: a spiritual
            > Master CAN see God everywhere and in everyone; and yes, even I am God.
            >
            > Aware that somehow I was now standing, the knees bent to allow me to
            > sit once more at the table, to resume whatever it was I had been doing
            > prior to the moment this life was changed forever.
          • snehashila2
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
              Dear Prachar,

              I'm really very lucky. Every Sat. morning after the 2 Mile Race, I stop in to visit with
              Mridula. Besides taking her the freshest just-given aphorism, a prasad cookie and the
              latest news, I also have printed out something inspiring from this site. Well, this past visit,
              I brought your exemplary and very excellent "Beyond Wow". She totally loved it and when I
              finished reading it to her she exclaimed, "It's true. It's all true!" You gave us both a very
              real and exceptional experience. Especially, I recall when I first met you -- after reading
              your story, I remembered very clearly our many conversations since you stayed just a few
              doors away from me. You gave Mridula a real birthday gift. She so enjoyed it! She asked
              me to bring in other things you have written....so I will do just that.

              Thank you, Snehashila

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
                Good afternoon Snehashila

                Thank you for your response, this is very encouraging. The thing I
                neglected to mention in the narrative was that during that 6 months
                spent in New York, I lived mostly on prasad, and your cornbread
                served up at Progress Promise!

                Thank you again

                Prachar

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, snehashila2