Another Piece of Running Transcendence News

  • ahelee_sf
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
      Joe Kulak Sets 100-Mile Trail Race Record

      Shattering the old record of 78 hours, 22, minutes and 47 seconds set
      by Ian Torrence of Colorado in 2002, ultrarunner Joe Kulak shattered
      the belief that such a fast record for the series of four diverse and
      challenging 100-mile trail races would stand for a long time.
      Crossing the finish line of the Wasatch Front 100 at The Homestead in
      Midway, Utah on September 7, 2003, Kulak, age 35, completed the Grand
      Slam of ultrarunning in just 75 hours and 7 minutes.

      "I am very happy with setting a new record, but the finest memories I
      have were at the award ceremony looking at the assembled human wall
      of pain, suffering, determination, and joy. I was proud to be one of
      the 16 individuals who finished the 2003 Grand Slam," said Kulak.

      The Grand Slam of ultrarunning began in 1986, the early years of 100-
      mile trail racing in the US when running a single 100-mile trail race
      in a summer on a classic race course wasn't enough challenge. The
      Slam series of the four ultra races range from California's Sierra
      Nevada mountains and the torridly hot canyons of the American River
      of Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run to 12,600-foot Hope Pass on
      Colorado's Leadville Trail 100 race course.

      When the Grand Slam began, the four races in the series were the
      oldest 100 milers in the country and were among only six 100s
      available to ultrarunners to run. Ultrarunners now have over 25 100-
      mile trail races to run and Kulak has chosen to run two more in his
      stellar 2003 season. By winning Old Dominion 100 in Virginia in June
      and taking on Angeles Crest 100 in southern California in October,
      Kulak hopes to win the six race Last Great Race series.

      "With five 100 miler's behind me and the Grand Slam series completed
      I'm looking forward to running Angeles Crest in three weeks," said
      Kulak. "It has been a long, adventuresome summer full of fond
      memories. It will be a restful fall and winter!"

      Kulak's Grand Slam Race Times

      Race & Location Date Place Time
      Western States 100 Mile, CA June 28 6th 18:14:59
      Vermont 100, VT July 19 1st 14:55:26
      Leadville Trail 100, CO August 16 5th 20:03:25
      Wasatch Front 100, UT Sept. 6 2nd 21:53:10
      Total Cumulative Time 75:07:00

      Any takers for the trail running Grand Slam in 2004??!!
      _
      Ahelee
      San Francisco
    • transformationdance
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
        This world record Ahelee just wrote about is stunning.

        Normally records like these are broken in small incremements, but to have the new world
        record reduced by 43 seconds to drop below 2:05 is incredible. In all the minds of the
        marathoners around the world, the threshold of possibility just shifted significantly.

        I'm reminded of a recent documentary on Reinhold Messner, the first man to climb Mt.
        Everest without oxygen and also the first man to climb Everest alone. He talked about
        the significance of breaking the barrier that kept others from believing it was possible.
        He was so incredibly inspired to provide that inspiration to others. Even now he has
        established a climbing museum in the Italian Dolomites (with a breathtaking view).

        Others have followed in his footsteps and has made the mountain of mountains
        climbable. Of special note, he said his true motivation to climb Everest was to discover
        more about himself and face his perceived limitations.

        These pioneers have a special spirit about them which seems to kindle an adventurous
        spark inside when you hear about them -- also a kind of "win one for the team" feeling
        that makes you proud to be human.

        -Natabara

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ahelee_sf <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Maybe everyone has heard this news... but I haven't seen a posting
        > yet!
        >
        > New World Records in the marathon!
        >
        > While one of our favorite marathoners, Khalid Khannouchi is
        > recovering from an illness and preparing for the Olympic Marathon
        > next year, his competitor, Paul Tergat, broke Khalid's world record
        > of 2:05:38 with a 2:04:55 at the Berlin Marathon on September 28th.
        > Second place finisher Sammy Korir also finished under the record time
        > with a 2:04:56!
        >
        > http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-5638,00.html
        >
        > BUT THAT IS NOT ALL! Check out the times and the ages below!
        > Incredibly impressive new world age-group records were also set the
        > same weekend.
        >
        > Andres Espinosa, age 40 (men's masters record, 2:08:46)
        > Ed Whitlock age 72-!! (70+, 2:59:08)
        > Fauja Singh, age 92 - YES, that is 92 years old!! (90+, 5:40:01)
        >
        > http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-5639,00.html
        >

        > Whew! I don't know about you... but I'm going out for a run! Hope you
        > at least got your two miles in today! Happy running!
        > _
        > Ahelee
        > San Francisco
      • lee_berube
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
          Hi Ahelee,

          Great stories. Where did you get the 100 mile trail one?

          Lee

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Joe Kulak Sets 100-Mile Trail Race Record
          >
          > Shattering the old record of 78 hours, 22, minutes and 47 seconds
          set
          > by Ian Torrence of Colorado in 2002, ultrarunner Joe Kulak
          shattered
          > the belief that such a fast record for the series of four diverse
          and
          > challenging 100-mile trail races would stand for a long time.
          > Crossing the finish line of the Wasatch Front 100 at The Homestead
          in
          > Midway, Utah on September 7, 2003, Kulak, age 35, completed the
          Grand
          > Slam of ultrarunning in just 75 hours and 7 minutes.
          >
          > "I am very happy with setting a new record, but the finest memories
          > have were at the award ceremony looking at the assembled human wall
          > of pain, suffering, determination, and joy. I was proud to be one
          of
          > the 16 individuals who finished the 2003 Grand Slam," said Kulak.
          >
          > The Grand Slam of ultrarunning began in 1986, the early years of
          100-
          > mile trail racing in the US when running a single 100-mile trail
          race
          > in a summer on a classic race course wasn't enough challenge. The
          > Slam series of the four ultra races range from California's Sierra
          > Nevada mountains and the torridly hot canyons of the American River
          > of Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run to 12,600-foot Hope Pass
          on
          > Colorado's Leadville Trail 100 race course.
          >
          > When the Grand Slam began, the four races in the series were the
          > oldest 100 milers in the country and were among only six 100s
          > available to ultrarunners to run. Ultrarunners now have over 25 100-
          > mile trail races to run and Kulak has chosen to run two more in his
          > stellar 2003 season. By winning Old Dominion 100 in Virginia in
          June
          > and taking on Angeles Crest 100 in southern California in October,
          > Kulak hopes to win the six race Last Great Race series.
          >
          > "With five 100 miler's behind me and the Grand Slam series
          completed
          > I'm looking forward to running Angeles Crest in three weeks," said
          > Kulak. "It has been a long, adventuresome summer full of fond
          > memories. It will be a restful fall and winter!"
          >
          > Kulak's Grand Slam Race Times
          >
          > Race & Location Date Place Time
          > Western States 100 Mile, CA June 28 6th 18:14:59
          > Vermont 100, VT July 19 1st 14:55:26
          > Leadville Trail 100, CO August 16 5th 20:03:25
          > Wasatch Front 100, UT Sept. 6 2nd 21:53:10
          > Total Cumulative Time 75:07:00
          >

          > Any takers for the trail running Grand Slam in 2004??!!
          > _
          > Ahelee
          > San Francisco
        • ahelee_sf
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
            Even though Runner's World Magazine is not really targeted toward the
            ulta-distance running news we so enjoy, I do try to keep up with
            their daily news page. It is full of terrific running news,
            information, interviews and statistics.

            The story about the 100 mile trail run record comes from the October
            2, 2003 archive page. The link is below.
            http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-ZNEWS----10-02-
            2003,00.html

            How terrific would it be to see one of our great ultra-runners
            interviewed by this absolutely huge and internationally circulated
            publication!

            I'm headed to Kona, Hawaii to work at the World Championship Ironman
            race this week. Race day is October 18th. The event will be covered
            on:
            www.Ironmanlive.com
            Not only on race day but during the week of festivities leading up to
            the event. It is the 25th Anniversary of the race and alot of special
            activities are being planned. I'll keep an eye out for stories to
            share with those interested!

            Speaking of 25th anniversaries... The Victoria Triathlon is coming up
            on their own 25th staging of this event next year! Lets' make it the
            biggest event ever, in every way. Anyone game to register and race?
            Happy training!
            _
            Ahelee
            San Francisco

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lee_berube
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > June
            > > and taking on Angeles Crest 100 in southern California in
            October,
            > > Kulak hopes to win the six race Last Great Race series.
            > >
            > > "With five 100 miler's behind me and the Grand Slam series
            > completed
            > > I'm looking forward to running Angeles Crest in three weeks,"
            said
            > > Kulak. "It has been a long, adventuresome summer full of fond
            > > memories. It will be a restful fall and winter!"
            > >
            > > Kulak's Grand Slam Race Times
            > >
            > > Race & Location Date Place Time
            > > Western States 100 Mile, CA June 28 6th 18:14:59
            > > Vermont 100, VT July 19 1st 14:55:26
            > > Leadville Trail 100, CO August 16 5th 20:03:25
            > > Wasatch Front 100, UT Sept. 6 2nd 21:53:10
            > > Total Cumulative Time 75:07:00
            > >

            > > Any takers for the trail running Grand Slam in 2004??!!
          • nayak_ltp
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
              This was a great lift, seeing the time for the marathon get cut back.
              Thanks, Ahelee, for supplying us with these impressive stories. Sri
              Chinmoy has predicted that the marathon time will go below 2 hours,
              so any step in that direction is inspiring. Our world brothers and
              sisters are moving us along to the goal!

              The reality of this achievement is that the winner ran an average
              pace of 4:46 per mile (4 minutes and 46 second per mile). That is
              about 12-and-a-half miles per hour, or the pace of some very steady
              bicycling. Most people could not maintain that pace even cycling for
              26.2 miles. It is a real achievement. If you don't think so, try it!

              I sometimes have this dream, that I believe will be fulfilled within
              the next year or the next 1,000 years. The dream is that the Supreme
              will send to earth a phenomenal runner who will break all of the
              running records in one run. That is, the runner will start off on a
              track and break the 100 meter record, then continue on without
              stopping and break the 200 meter record, and then 400 m, etc., up to
              the marathon. Of course, if that runner wants to continue on and
              break all ultra-running records, including the 3,100-mile record,
              more power to the champion!

              Running is limitless.

              Yours,

              Nayak

              If you want to see some lofty utterances about running, go to "The
              Outer Running And The Inner Running" by Sri Chinmoy, available at
              http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/outer-inner-running/