London Centre Events: Fountain Art & Immortality's -Flame-Waves

  • pavitrata27
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2005
      Just to let you know about two London Centre events:

      First of all, a beautiful exhibition of Sri Chinmoy's exquisite
      paintings at:

      The Art Academy
      201, Union Street
      London
      SE1

      This exhibition is in fact a project supported by people from all
      the Centres in the United Kingdom and Wales. After London it will be
      travelling to Oxford and Wales.

      The exhibition in London has now been extended and finishes at 3.00 pm
      Saturday 30th July

      You can some photos of the exhibition at:

      http://tinyurl.com/7pomk

      Secondly, Immortality's-Flame-Waves Theatre Company are currently
      performing Sri Chinmoy's superb play 'Siddhartha Becomes the Buddha'
      at:

      The Union Theatre
      204, Union Street,
      Southwark
      SE1

      The last performance is on Saturday evening, 30th July.

      See:

      http://tinyurl.com/ba3uc

      for details.

      The play has already had excellent reviews!

      I will put some photos of the play on the Gallery at the weekend.

      pip-pip
      Pavitrata
    • prashphutita
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 26, 2005
        Hullo Pavitrata,

        Me sees that you have been busy! I really enjoyed looking through all
        your pics of the Jharna-Kala display... So many of Sri Chinmoy's
        paintings, beautifully framed and nicely displayed in such an
        impressive & expansive space!

        I couldn't help but be amused by the URL auto-generated by the
        TinyURL system, ennding in 7pomk. "Pommy" is, of course, Australian
        slang for Briton. There was an expatriate British lass living around
        the corner from The Rainbow-Silence-Heart in Melbourne who drove
        around in a VW Beetle sporting licence plates which proudly
        proclaimed "POM".

        In all seriousness, I must express my deepest, innermost concerns
        that you have become too attached to your latest, high-tech digital
        camera gear. I strongly feel that it is hindering your spiritual
        progress. As your true and sincere friend, I am offering to take all
        that unecessary stuff off your hands. To help you live without it,
        though, I am generously offering my three year old, bought-cheap-
        second-hand, lowly-specd 2MP Point and Shoot digicam. That's how
        selfless I am... Perhaps we can arrange to swap at August
        Celebrations?! :-)

        Prashphutita, Melbourne

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pavitrata27
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Just to let you know about two London Centre events:
        >
        > First of all, a beautiful exhibition of Sri Chinmoy's exquisite
        > paintings at:
        >
        > The Art Academy
        > 201, Union Street
        > London
        > SE1
        >
        > This exhibition is in fact a project supported by people from all
        > the Centres in the United Kingdom and Wales. After London it will be
        > travelling to Oxford and Wales.
        >
        > The exhibition in London has now been extended and finishes at 3.00
        pm
        > Saturday 30th July
        >
        > You can some photos of the exhibition at:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/7pomk
        >
        > Secondly, Immortality's-Flame-Waves Theatre Company are currently
        > performing Sri Chinmoy's superb play 'Siddhartha Becomes the Buddha'
        > at:
        >
        > The Union Theatre
        > 204, Union Street,
        > Southwark
        > SE1
        >
        > The last performance is on Saturday evening, 30th July.
        >
        > See:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/ba3uc
        >
        > for details.
        >
        > The play has already had excellent reviews!
        >
        > I will put some photos of the play on the Gallery at the weekend.
        >
        > pip-pip
        > Pavitrata
      • pavitrata27
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
          Greetings Prashphutita,

          Thanks for your kind comments re the Fountain Art Exhibition.
          Photographing them was child's play compared to the work of the
          selfless souls who put the whole exhibition together. Wazos like me
          take a few snaps and get the praise.

          Re POMS/Tiny URL - yes, that is some curious synchronicity; I know all
          about 'poms' having been one for the two amazing years I spent in Oz
          when I was 18 However, I enjoyed the place far too much to deserve the
          national sobriquet for all too many Brits - 'whinging pom'.

          This is not the place to discuss what the initials stand for!

          I am profoundly moved by your noble concern for my spiritual progress;
          alas my inner vision clearly reveals a DEVELOPING weakness in your
          hitherto unsullied filmic self. I don't wish to be NEGATIVE but
          (correct me if I am wrong) 4 of the great albums in your Gallery were
          shot with digital! Geelong Beach, Rainbow-Silence-Heart, Melbourne
          City Sights, all with the Nikon E2000, Tree of Life with a Canon
          Powershot A70. Alas, you also appear to be descending into the unreal
          realm of digiloka. (Its not so bad, after all, one can listen to
          digiridoos all day long!) But fallen as you now have from your lofty
          Kodachrome/Reala unsullied heights, I fear 'twould be a case of the
          blind leading the blind. Were I to entrust my worldly cameras to one
          so clearly already enamoured of the digital medium you also would
          descend to my tragic depths and, reprobate as I am, I could not bear
          to have that on my conscience.

          Hold on to that E2000, its fine little camera, as the great colours
          and resolution of the Rainbow-Silence-Hearts shots show. I passed my
          3.2 mp Nikon 990 on to my nephew when as I upgraded to the Nikon 5000,
          but the lens is nowhere near as good as the earlier camera; indeed the
          purple colour fringing at the far end of the spectrum of some of the
          higher res digital cameras is horrendous as they try and squeeze ever
          more info onto a tiny chip. Previous to the 990 I had a Nikon 800,
          2.11 mp, and I have some A3 prints which you would not believe could
          come from a 2.11pm camera.
          Yadda-yadda.....

          I would happily take that E2000 off you for a generorous price where
          it not for two words. 'Alkaline' and 'battery'. Lets not even go
          there.

          Okay, gotta fly, time for my daily TIFFin, as I am feeling a bit RAW
          at the moment, and must go before I JPEG out.

          Yours, in highest resolution,

          pip-pip
          Pavitrata
          etc

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, prashphutita
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hullo Pavitrata,
          >
          > Me sees that you have been busy! I really enjoyed looking through
          all
          > your pics of the Jharna-Kala display... So many of Sri Chinmoy's
          > paintings, beautifully framed and nicely displayed in such an
          > impressive & expansive space!
          >
          > I couldn't help but be amused by the URL auto-generated by the
          > TinyURL system, ennding in 7pomk. "Pommy" is, of course, Australian

          > slang for Briton. There was an expatriate British lass living
          around
          > the corner from The Rainbow-Silence-Heart in Melbourne who drove
          > around in a VW Beetle sporting licence plates which proudly
          > proclaimed "POM".
          >
          > In all seriousness, I must express my deepest, innermost concerns
          > that you have become too attached to your latest, high-tech digital
          > camera gear. I strongly feel that it is hindering your spiritual
          > progress. As your true and sincere friend, I am offering to take
          all
          > that unecessary stuff off your hands. To help you live without it,
          > though, I am generously offering my three year old, bought-cheap-
          > second-hand, lowly-specd 2MP Point and Shoot digicam. That's how
          > selfless I am... Perhaps we can arrange to swap at August
          > Celebrations?! :-)
          >
          > Prashphutita, Melbourne
          >
          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pavitrata27
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Just to let you know about two London Centre events:
          > >
          > > First of all, a beautiful exhibition of Sri Chinmoy's exquisite
          > > paintings at:
          > >
          > > The Art Academy
          > > 201, Union Street
          > > London
          > > SE1
          > >
          > > This exhibition is in fact a project supported by people from all
          > > the Centres in the United Kingdom and Wales. After London it will
          be
          > > travelling to Oxford and Wales.
          > >
          > > The exhibition in London has now been extended and finishes at
          3.00
          > pm
          > > Saturday 30th July
          > >
          > > You can some photos of the exhibition at:
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/7pomk
          > >
          > > Secondly, Immortality's-Flame-Waves Theatre Company are currently
          > > performing Sri Chinmoy's superb play 'Siddhartha Becomes the
          Buddha'
          > > at:
          > >
          > > The Union Theatre
          > > 204, Union Street,
          > > Southwark
          > > SE1
          > >
          > > The last performance is on Saturday evening, 30th July.
          > >
          > > See:
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/ba3uc
          > >
          > > for details.
          > >
          > > The play has already had excellent reviews!
          > >
          > > I will put some photos of the play on the Gallery at the weekend.
          > >
          > > pip-pip
          > > Pavitrata
        • richard13_oxford
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2005
            The play "Siddhartha Becomes the Buddha" was a wonderful production
            which I enjoyed very much.

            It is not easy to have a play about a Spiritual Master because by
            nature it is difficult to express concepts such as nirvana and inner
            illumination. These difficulties however, were imaginatively overcome,
            with the use of music, poetry and other acting devices. The play also
            had a great fluidity with a seamless moving between scenes. There was
            also a great soundtrack with added to the atmosphere of the play.

            I admire the energy of the performers. Each actor seemed to perform
            more than one role. It is a remarkable achievement to perform with
            such intensity for 5 nights a week.

            The last scene involved the passing of the Buddha, witnessed by his
            close disciple, Ananda. This was particularly moving without slipping
            into an overly sentimental scene you might see in the movies. After
            all the transitory nature of worldly life was a significant part of
            the Buddha's teaching so it was fitting his death was tinged with hope
            for the illumination of Ananda.

            Excerpt from Siddhartha Becomes The Buddha by Sri Chinmoy.

            BUDDHA: "Ananda, stay here. Don't go away. My life can now be measured
            in minutes. Ananda, do not cry for me. I tell all of you not to cry
            for me. Ananda, I have told you repeatedly that everything is
            transient on earth. There is nothing everlasting here. Anything that
            comes into life will have to give up life. You have served me, O
            Ananda, most devotedly, most soulfully, and for that I offer you my
            last blessings. Proceed on your inner strength, and you will receive
            liberation. You will have your liberation in due course. My spiritual
            journey began with renunciation and compassion, and today, at the end
            of my journey's close, I offer to the world the same message:
            renunciation and compassion. O Ananda, do not grieve."

            (The Buddha dies.)

            From: Sri Chinmoy Library

            http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/siddhartha-becomes-buddha/toc.html
            http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/siddhartha-becomes-buddha/32.html

            Posted by: Richard

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Just to let you know about two London Centre events:
            >
            > First of all, a beautiful exhibition of Sri Chinmoy's exquisite
            > paintings at:
            >
            > The Art Academy
            > 201, Union Street
            > London
            > SE1
            >
            > This exhibition is in fact a project supported by people from all
            > the Centres in the United Kingdom and Wales. After London it will be
            > travelling to Oxford and Wales.
            >
            > The exhibition in London has now been extended and finishes at 3.00 pm
            > Saturday 30th July
            >
            > You can some photos of the exhibition at:
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/7pomk
            >
            > Secondly, Immortality's-Flame-Waves Theatre Company are currently
            > performing Sri Chinmoy's superb play 'Siddhartha Becomes the Buddha'
            > at:
            >
            > The Union Theatre
            > 204, Union Street,
            > Southwark
            > SE1
            >
            > The last performance is on Saturday evening, 30th July.
            >
            > See:
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/ba3uc
            >
            > for details.
            >
            > The play has already had excellent reviews!
            >
            > I will put some photos of the play on the Gallery at the weekend.
            >
            > pip-pip
            > Pavitrata
          • sarada1007
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2005
              Here are a few links relating to the play which has just finished
              its run in London.

              There is one review here...
              http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view.php?ArtID=1664

              On this site you will have to scroll down to find the Union theatre..
              http://members.aol.com/MouseUK/stage/fri.htm#fringe%20theatres

              And here is a site with some professional photos of the play...
              http://www.lastseven.com/stagephoto/production.asp?production=unibud

              Also, the local London magazine Time Out, traditionally quite hard
              to please even in terms of the big West End productions, had this to
              say about Sri Chinmoy's writing...
              "The writing.. is wonderfully unaffected and deceptively simple, and
              the poetry and honesty of the dialogue is truly moving."

              We had so many visitors who came to see the play from, let's see,
              Luxembourg, the USA, Ireland, France, Holland, Iceland, Germany,
              Switzerland.. I hope I haven't missed anyone! And many from the UK
              centres of course. So thanks to everyone for their support and
              encouragement.

              Sarada

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, richard13_oxford

            • sumangali_m
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2005
                I have been trying to work out a way to write about this play and to
                convey even some of its impact, but almost a month after seeing it I
                have to concede defeat.

                Ok, being a British girl, I'm biased, but I was still inwardly bowled
                over by the performance. The play powerfully conveys the universal
                Truth in the Buddha's teachings, while through the writing of the
                script that same essential Truth is reflected in Sri Chinmoy's
                teachings. Universal Truth is a big concept for a beginner seeker as
                myself, but this play really helped me to take a little step closer to
                seeing how spiritual masters can access it, though they will obviously
                manifest it in different ways.

                To say I am glowing with pride for the cast would be a huge
                understatement. For each one to give their all, five days a week, for
                three weeks, is really no joke, especially considering that work and
                other daily duties had to be maintained for that whole time.

                The casting was inspired, the acting was brilliant, the script was all
                from Sri Chinmoy's original words, but put together in such a fresh
                and creative way. It was beautiful, powerful, moving, funny, and just
                absolutely spellbinding from beginning to end. There was such an
                incredible atmosphere in the theatre. The seats were very close to the
                set and sometimes the players came into the audience. It was almost
                like being in the performance, which made it even easier to assimilate
                its message.

                I was honoured to play a particular role behind the scenes for a few
                weeks before the start. The task was daunting, I must confess. It was
                almost as if the play had its own energy and agenda though, and
                everything seemed to flow along with it... if one resisted the urge to
                panic that is :) It was quite a challenging experience, but also
                incredibly, incredibly beautiful and rewarding to be a part of
                something so special.

                All I can do is offer my sincere thanks: to Sri Chinmoy for his
                boundless creativity and inspiration, and to Immortality's-Flame-Waves
                for all the work they put into this incredible production.

                Sumangali

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarada1007