Links for Transcendence News

  • lee_berube
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
      Hi all,

      As you hopefully know by now, I've been scouring the web for stories
      of inspiring transcendence. I'm hoping you all can help by posting
      some links to sites that may post such stories. Just reply here with
      any links you think may be helpful. In the meantime, enjoy the
      stories there now at:

      http://srichinmoyraces.us/transcendence

      Lee
    • ahelee_sf
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
        Maybe everyone has heard this news... but I haven't seen a posting
        yet!

        New World Records in the marathon!

        While one of our favorite marathoners, Khalid Khannouchi is
        recovering from an illness and preparing for the Olympic Marathon
        next year, his competitor, Paul Tergat, broke Khalid's world record
        of 2:05:38 with a 2:04:55 at the Berlin Marathon on September 28th.
        Second place finisher Sammy Korir also finished under the record time
        with a 2:04:56!

        http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-5638,00.html

        BUT THAT IS NOT ALL! Check out the times and the ages below!
        Incredibly impressive new world age-group records were also set the
        same weekend.

        Andres Espinosa, age 40 (men's masters record, 2:08:46)
        Ed Whitlock age 72-!! (70+, 2:59:08)
        Fauja Singh, age 92 - YES, that is 92 years old!! (90+, 5:40:01)

        http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-5639,00.html

        Whew! I don't know about you... but I'm going out for a run! Hope you
        at least got your two miles in today! Happy running!
        _
        Ahelee
        San Francisco
      • ahelee_sf
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
          Joe Kulak Sets 100-Mile Trail Race Record

          Shattering the old record of 78 hours, 22, minutes and 47 seconds set
          by Ian Torrence of Colorado in 2002, ultrarunner Joe Kulak shattered
          the belief that such a fast record for the series of four diverse and
          challenging 100-mile trail races would stand for a long time.
          Crossing the finish line of the Wasatch Front 100 at The Homestead in
          Midway, Utah on September 7, 2003, Kulak, age 35, completed the Grand
          Slam of ultrarunning in just 75 hours and 7 minutes.

          "I am very happy with setting a new record, but the finest memories I
          have were at the award ceremony looking at the assembled human wall
          of pain, suffering, determination, and joy. I was proud to be one of
          the 16 individuals who finished the 2003 Grand Slam," said Kulak.

          The Grand Slam of ultrarunning began in 1986, the early years of 100-
          mile trail racing in the US when running a single 100-mile trail race
          in a summer on a classic race course wasn't enough challenge. The
          Slam series of the four ultra races range from California's Sierra
          Nevada mountains and the torridly hot canyons of the American River
          of Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run to 12,600-foot Hope Pass on
          Colorado's Leadville Trail 100 race course.

          When the Grand Slam began, the four races in the series were the
          oldest 100 milers in the country and were among only six 100s
          available to ultrarunners to run. Ultrarunners now have over 25 100-
          mile trail races to run and Kulak has chosen to run two more in his
          stellar 2003 season. By winning Old Dominion 100 in Virginia in June
          and taking on Angeles Crest 100 in southern California in October,
          Kulak hopes to win the six race Last Great Race series.

          "With five 100 miler's behind me and the Grand Slam series completed
          I'm looking forward to running Angeles Crest in three weeks," said
          Kulak. "It has been a long, adventuresome summer full of fond
          memories. It will be a restful fall and winter!"

          Kulak's Grand Slam Race Times

          Race & Location Date Place Time
          Western States 100 Mile, CA June 28 6th 18:14:59
          Vermont 100, VT July 19 1st 14:55:26
          Leadville Trail 100, CO August 16 5th 20:03:25
          Wasatch Front 100, UT Sept. 6 2nd 21:53:10
          Total Cumulative Time 75:07:00

          Any takers for the trail running Grand Slam in 2004??!!
          _
          Ahelee
          San Francisco
        • transformationdance
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
            This world record Ahelee just wrote about is stunning.

            Normally records like these are broken in small incremements, but to have the new world
            record reduced by 43 seconds to drop below 2:05 is incredible. In all the minds of the
            marathoners around the world, the threshold of possibility just shifted significantly.

            I'm reminded of a recent documentary on Reinhold Messner, the first man to climb Mt.
            Everest without oxygen and also the first man to climb Everest alone. He talked about
            the significance of breaking the barrier that kept others from believing it was possible.
            He was so incredibly inspired to provide that inspiration to others. Even now he has
            established a climbing museum in the Italian Dolomites (with a breathtaking view).

            Others have followed in his footsteps and has made the mountain of mountains
            climbable. Of special note, he said his true motivation to climb Everest was to discover
            more about himself and face his perceived limitations.

            These pioneers have a special spirit about them which seems to kindle an adventurous
            spark inside when you hear about them -- also a kind of "win one for the team" feeling
            that makes you proud to be human.

            -Natabara

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ahelee_sf <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Maybe everyone has heard this news... but I haven't seen a posting
            > yet!
            >
            > New World Records in the marathon!
            >
            > While one of our favorite marathoners, Khalid Khannouchi is
            > recovering from an illness and preparing for the Olympic Marathon
            > next year, his competitor, Paul Tergat, broke Khalid's world record
            > of 2:05:38 with a 2:04:55 at the Berlin Marathon on September 28th.
            > Second place finisher Sammy Korir also finished under the record time
            > with a 2:04:56!
            >
            > http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-5638,00.html
            >
            > BUT THAT IS NOT ALL! Check out the times and the ages below!
            > Incredibly impressive new world age-group records were also set the
            > same weekend.
            >
            > Andres Espinosa, age 40 (men's masters record, 2:08:46)
            > Ed Whitlock age 72-!! (70+, 2:59:08)
            > Fauja Singh, age 92 - YES, that is 92 years old!! (90+, 5:40:01)
            >
            > http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-5639,00.html
            >

            > Whew! I don't know about you... but I'm going out for a run! Hope you
            > at least got your two miles in today! Happy running!
            > _
            > Ahelee
            > San Francisco
          • lee_berube
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
              Hi Ahelee,

              Great stories. Where did you get the 100 mile trail one?

              Lee

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Joe Kulak Sets 100-Mile Trail Race Record
              >
              > Shattering the old record of 78 hours, 22, minutes and 47 seconds
              set
              > by Ian Torrence of Colorado in 2002, ultrarunner Joe Kulak
              shattered
              > the belief that such a fast record for the series of four diverse
              and
              > challenging 100-mile trail races would stand for a long time.
              > Crossing the finish line of the Wasatch Front 100 at The Homestead
              in
              > Midway, Utah on September 7, 2003, Kulak, age 35, completed the
              Grand
              > Slam of ultrarunning in just 75 hours and 7 minutes.
              >
              > "I am very happy with setting a new record, but the finest memories
              > have were at the award ceremony looking at the assembled human wall
              > of pain, suffering, determination, and joy. I was proud to be one
              of
              > the 16 individuals who finished the 2003 Grand Slam," said Kulak.
              >
              > The Grand Slam of ultrarunning began in 1986, the early years of
              100-
              > mile trail racing in the US when running a single 100-mile trail
              race
              > in a summer on a classic race course wasn't enough challenge. The
              > Slam series of the four ultra races range from California's Sierra
              > Nevada mountains and the torridly hot canyons of the American River
              > of Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run to 12,600-foot Hope Pass
              on
              > Colorado's Leadville Trail 100 race course.
              >
              > When the Grand Slam began, the four races in the series were the
              > oldest 100 milers in the country and were among only six 100s
              > available to ultrarunners to run. Ultrarunners now have over 25 100-
              > mile trail races to run and Kulak has chosen to run two more in his
              > stellar 2003 season. By winning Old Dominion 100 in Virginia in
              June
              > and taking on Angeles Crest 100 in southern California in October,
              > Kulak hopes to win the six race Last Great Race series.
              >
              > "With five 100 miler's behind me and the Grand Slam series
              completed
              > I'm looking forward to running Angeles Crest in three weeks," said
              > Kulak. "It has been a long, adventuresome summer full of fond
              > memories. It will be a restful fall and winter!"
              >
              > Kulak's Grand Slam Race Times
              >
              > Race & Location Date Place Time
              > Western States 100 Mile, CA June 28 6th 18:14:59
              > Vermont 100, VT July 19 1st 14:55:26
              > Leadville Trail 100, CO August 16 5th 20:03:25
              > Wasatch Front 100, UT Sept. 6 2nd 21:53:10
              > Total Cumulative Time 75:07:00
              >

              > Any takers for the trail running Grand Slam in 2004??!!
              > _
              > Ahelee
              > San Francisco
            • ahelee_sf
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
                Even though Runner's World Magazine is not really targeted toward the
                ulta-distance running news we so enjoy, I do try to keep up with
                their daily news page. It is full of terrific running news,
                information, interviews and statistics.

                The story about the 100 mile trail run record comes from the October
                2, 2003 archive page. The link is below.
                http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-ZNEWS----10-02-
                2003,00.html

                How terrific would it be to see one of our great ultra-runners
                interviewed by this absolutely huge and internationally circulated
                publication!

                I'm headed to Kona, Hawaii to work at the World Championship Ironman
                race this week. Race day is October 18th. The event will be covered
                on:
                www.Ironmanlive.com
                Not only on race day but during the week of festivities leading up to
                the event. It is the 25th Anniversary of the race and alot of special
                activities are being planned. I'll keep an eye out for stories to
                share with those interested!

                Speaking of 25th anniversaries... The Victoria Triathlon is coming up
                on their own 25th staging of this event next year! Lets' make it the
                biggest event ever, in every way. Anyone game to register and race?
                Happy training!
                _
                Ahelee
                San Francisco

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lee_berube
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > June
                > > and taking on Angeles Crest 100 in southern California in
                October,
                > > Kulak hopes to win the six race Last Great Race series.
                > >
                > > "With five 100 miler's behind me and the Grand Slam series
                > completed
                > > I'm looking forward to running Angeles Crest in three weeks,"
                said
                > > Kulak. "It has been a long, adventuresome summer full of fond
                > > memories. It will be a restful fall and winter!"
                > >
                > > Kulak's Grand Slam Race Times
                > >
                > > Race & Location Date Place Time
                > > Western States 100 Mile, CA June 28 6th 18:14:59
                > > Vermont 100, VT July 19 1st 14:55:26
                > > Leadville Trail 100, CO August 16 5th 20:03:25
                > > Wasatch Front 100, UT Sept. 6 2nd 21:53:10
                > > Total Cumulative Time 75:07:00
                > >

                > > Any takers for the trail running Grand Slam in 2004??!!
              • nayak_ltp
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
                  This was a great lift, seeing the time for the marathon get cut back.
                  Thanks, Ahelee, for supplying us with these impressive stories. Sri
                  Chinmoy has predicted that the marathon time will go below 2 hours,
                  so any step in that direction is inspiring. Our world brothers and
                  sisters are moving us along to the goal!

                  The reality of this achievement is that the winner ran an average
                  pace of 4:46 per mile (4 minutes and 46 second per mile). That is
                  about 12-and-a-half miles per hour, or the pace of some very steady
                  bicycling. Most people could not maintain that pace even cycling for
                  26.2 miles. It is a real achievement. If you don't think so, try it!

                  I sometimes have this dream, that I believe will be fulfilled within
                  the next year or the next 1,000 years. The dream is that the Supreme
                  will send to earth a phenomenal runner who will break all of the
                  running records in one run. That is, the runner will start off on a
                  track and break the 100 meter record, then continue on without
                  stopping and break the 200 meter record, and then 400 m, etc., up to
                  the marathon. Of course, if that runner wants to continue on and
                  break all ultra-running records, including the 3,100-mile record,
                  more power to the champion!

                  Running is limitless.

                  Yours,

                  Nayak

                  If you want to see some lofty utterances about running, go to "The
                  Outer Running And The Inner Running" by Sri Chinmoy, available at
                  http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/outer-inner-running/