Re: Almost Lost Songs

  • nayak_ltp
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      Sundari, what a terrific (and sincere) advertisement for this
      songbook. I want to get it and look up the famous 15 lost songs. I
      do agree with you that the various sites are so helpful, and you can
      spend a some nice time cruising around them and stopping to go in
      depth wherfe your heart desires.

      What will the name of the songbook be?

      Back to the sites again, one of my favorite trips to the sites is to
      go to http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com and use the serach link. You
      can put in any word(s) and see what comes up. I looked up "ping
      pong" the other day (becasue Sri Chinmoy played ping pong in
      Australia) and found some nice things.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      Here is one of the items that came from a search on "Sundari":

      Sundari: How can our sound-life most effectively serve our
      aspiration?

      Sri Chinmoy: Here we have to know what we mean by sound-life. If we
      take sound-life to mean our sense of dedication to the Supreme, the
      supreme Cause, then we have to know that there is only one way it can
      serve our aspiration. It can serve our aspiration by teaching us to
      lose our expectations. If we expect something in return then our
      aspiration will not be effective. We shall give to our heart's
      content, unconditionally. But the moment we expect something from the
      world and think, "Oh, we have done so much for the world, the world
      has not given us anything in return," then our aspiration will not be
      effective at all. Sometimes we do not expect anything beforehand.
      First we give and then after giving we start to expect. I give you
      one dollar and then I feel that since I have given you a dollar you
      have to give me a dollar back. Sometimes even before I give you the
      dollar I feel that whether I give it to you or not you have to give a
      dollar to me. This kind of expectation we have. And whenever there is
      expectation, frustration is bound to follow.

      So sound-life can only make our aspiring life effective and fruitful
      if we do not expect anything from our dedication. We know that if the
      child gives his capacity of one dollar to the mother, the mother in
      return will give her capacity, which is hundreds of dollars. But if
      the child has given one cent or ten cents and expects it back from
      the mother, she may give two cents or she may not give at all. The
      mother may think that the child is only giving so that he can get
      something more from her in return. The mother then will tell the
      child to wait for the time when everything is his. She will feel that
      it is wrong for the child to give her a cent so that he can get five
      cents or ten cents in return. She will tell the child, "You give me
      what you have, that's all. Then it is my duty to give you what I
      have."

      Excerpt from "The Height Of Silence And The Might Of Sound" by Sri
      Chinmoy

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sundari_one
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I just want to share something with you all. Ashanka and I are
      > just finishing typing out a book of English songs to be printed
      > soon. They were composed in July, 1995 and have been waiting
      > all these years to be printed for one reason. While transcribing
      > from one of the tapes I had words up to song 83, but there were
      > 15 more songs after that for which there were no words to look
      > at. That would not have been such a problem, except that the
      > tape at that point developed a horrible squeek, like a whistling
      > tea kettle next to the microphone. I really couldn't understand,
      > even though English is my mother tongue. So without words to
      > look at, I didn't dare to guess at the words.
      >
      > But! When I discovered the marvels of the library site:
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com and realised that maybe the
      > poems could be found there, I braved at least temporary hearing
      > loss and transcribed those 15 sqeeky songs. And, amazingly, I
      > was able to find all of them on the site and correct all my
      > mistakes! What I was really inspired to share is that ever since
      > then I have been feeling such a feeling of gratitude coming over
      > me now and then and I think it's from those songs. If not for that
      > site, the book would have been published without them and they
      > might have been lost. I have always felt that the songs have a
      > consciousness and they love to be sung and appreciated. How
      > sad it would have been to lose those 15 songs forever just
      > because of a bad recording.
      >
      > Thank you to everyone who made that site a wonderful reality.
      >
      > Love, Sundari
    • sundari_one
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
        Dear Nayak:

        Thanks for your comments and the talk about sound and silence. By the way,
        I don't know what the name of the songbook will be yet. Usually we give Guru
        a list of the songs and he chooses a title for the book. Those almost-lost 15
        songs are very different from the rest, strangely enough. They are songs 84-
        98, so you can check them out when the book comes out. The poems for
        those 15 were from '365 Father's Day Prayers'.

        I also am really enjoying the http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com site more and
        more all the time. The other day I looked up 'positive thoughts' and found so
        many things. I made a little pamphlet of them for our centre. It's so nice to
        read it throughout the day anytime you need a little inspiration.

        --Sundari

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nayak_ltp <