Re: Almost Lost Songs

  • priyadarshan44
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      Sundari,

      Thank YOU and to Ashanka for your untiring work for Sri Chinmoy's
      beautiful,
      beautiful songs.

      I hope to be able to sing some of those English songs soon!

      with gratitude
      priyadarshan

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sundari_one
      <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > I just want to share something with you all. Ashanka and I are
      > just finishing typing out a book of English songs to be printed
      > soon. They were composed in July, 1995 and have been waiting
      > all these years to be printed for one reason. While transcribing
      > from one of the tapes I had words up to song 83, but there were
      > 15 more songs after that for which there were no words to look
      > at. That would not have been such a problem, except that the
      > tape at that point developed a horrible squeek, like a whistling
      > tea kettle next to the microphone. I really couldn't understand,
      > even though English is my mother tongue. So without words to
      > look at, I didn't dare to guess at the words.
      >
      > But! When I discovered the marvels of the library site:
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com and realised that maybe the
      > poems could be found there, I braved at least temporary hearing
      > loss and transcribed those 15 sqeeky songs. And, amazingly, I
      > was able to find all of them on the site and correct all my
      > mistakes! What I was really inspired to share is that ever since
      > then I have been feeling such a feeling of gratitude coming over
      > me now and then and I think it's from those songs. If not for that
      > site, the book would have been published without them and they
      > might have been lost. I have always felt that the songs have a
      > consciousness and they love to be sung and appreciated. How
      > sad it would have been to lose those 15 songs forever just
      > because of a bad recording.
      >
      > Thank you to everyone who made that site a wonderful reality.
      >
      > Love, Sundari
    • nayak_ltp
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        Sundari, what a terrific (and sincere) advertisement for this
        songbook. I want to get it and look up the famous 15 lost songs. I
        do agree with you that the various sites are so helpful, and you can
        spend a some nice time cruising around them and stopping to go in
        depth wherfe your heart desires.

        What will the name of the songbook be?

        Back to the sites again, one of my favorite trips to the sites is to
        go to http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com and use the serach link. You
        can put in any word(s) and see what comes up. I looked up "ping
        pong" the other day (becasue Sri Chinmoy played ping pong in
        Australia) and found some nice things.

        Yours,

        Nayak

        Here is one of the items that came from a search on "Sundari":

        Sundari: How can our sound-life most effectively serve our
        aspiration?

        Sri Chinmoy: Here we have to know what we mean by sound-life. If we
        take sound-life to mean our sense of dedication to the Supreme, the
        supreme Cause, then we have to know that there is only one way it can
        serve our aspiration. It can serve our aspiration by teaching us to
        lose our expectations. If we expect something in return then our
        aspiration will not be effective. We shall give to our heart's
        content, unconditionally. But the moment we expect something from the
        world and think, "Oh, we have done so much for the world, the world
        has not given us anything in return," then our aspiration will not be
        effective at all. Sometimes we do not expect anything beforehand.
        First we give and then after giving we start to expect. I give you
        one dollar and then I feel that since I have given you a dollar you
        have to give me a dollar back. Sometimes even before I give you the
        dollar I feel that whether I give it to you or not you have to give a
        dollar to me. This kind of expectation we have. And whenever there is
        expectation, frustration is bound to follow.

        So sound-life can only make our aspiring life effective and fruitful
        if we do not expect anything from our dedication. We know that if the
        child gives his capacity of one dollar to the mother, the mother in
        return will give her capacity, which is hundreds of dollars. But if
        the child has given one cent or ten cents and expects it back from
        the mother, she may give two cents or she may not give at all. The
        mother may think that the child is only giving so that he can get
        something more from her in return. The mother then will tell the
        child to wait for the time when everything is his. She will feel that
        it is wrong for the child to give her a cent so that he can get five
        cents or ten cents in return. She will tell the child, "You give me
        what you have, that's all. Then it is my duty to give you what I
        have."

        Excerpt from "The Height Of Silence And The Might Of Sound" by Sri
        Chinmoy

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I just want to share something with you all. Ashanka and I are
        > just finishing typing out a book of English songs to be printed
        > soon. They were composed in July, 1995 and have been waiting
        > all these years to be printed for one reason. While transcribing
        > from one of the tapes I had words up to song 83, but there were
        > 15 more songs after that for which there were no words to look
        > at. That would not have been such a problem, except that the
        > tape at that point developed a horrible squeek, like a whistling
        > tea kettle next to the microphone. I really couldn't understand,
        > even though English is my mother tongue. So without words to
        > look at, I didn't dare to guess at the words.
        >
        > But! When I discovered the marvels of the library site:
        > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com and realised that maybe the
        > poems could be found there, I braved at least temporary hearing
        > loss and transcribed those 15 sqeeky songs. And, amazingly, I
        > was able to find all of them on the site and correct all my
        > mistakes! What I was really inspired to share is that ever since
        > then I have been feeling such a feeling of gratitude coming over
        > me now and then and I think it's from those songs. If not for that
        > site, the book would have been published without them and they
        > might have been lost. I have always felt that the songs have a
        > consciousness and they love to be sung and appreciated. How
        > sad it would have been to lose those 15 songs forever just
        > because of a bad recording.
        >
        > Thank you to everyone who made that site a wonderful reality.
        >
        > Love, Sundari
      • sundari_one
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
          Dear Nayak:

          Thanks for your comments and the talk about sound and silence. By the way,
          I don't know what the name of the songbook will be yet. Usually we give Guru
          a list of the songs and he chooses a title for the book. Those almost-lost 15
          songs are very different from the rest, strangely enough. They are songs 84-
          98, so you can check them out when the book comes out. The poems for
          those 15 were from '365 Father's Day Prayers'.

          I also am really enjoying the http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com site more and
          more all the time. The other day I looked up 'positive thoughts' and found so
          many things. I made a little pamphlet of them for our centre. It's so nice to
          read it throughout the day anytime you need a little inspiration.

          --Sundari

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nayak_ltp <