What's that sound?

  • warren_the_green
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 20, 2005
      A little while ago a saw an awesome video showing the activities of
      the World Harmony Run in Europe. The video is really inspiring in
      itself.

      What I would love to know though is this, at the end of the video is
      an enchanting piece of female Indian vocal with a kind of drone
      behind. Does anyone know what this piece of music is or perhaps you
      can put me in touch with the producer/editor of the video?

      Who ever did it well done! it got me out on the road for a couple of
      days.
    • shane_dublincentre
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 21, 2005
        Ah, that would be one of Dipavajan's little touches. I believe it's a
        rendition of a Tagore song. It's so haunting; it makes the hairs on
        the back of my neck stand up everytime I see the video...

        I daresay Dipavajan mightn't be in a position to send you the song
        seeing as he's somewhere between Moscow and St Petersburg at the
        moment on the Run - my brother Colm might have it, I'll check for you...

        Shane

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, warren_the_green
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > A little while ago a saw an awesome video showing the activities of
        > the World Harmony Run in Europe. The video is really inspiring in
        > itself.
        >
        > What I would love to know though is this, at the end of the video is
        > an enchanting piece of female Indian vocal with a kind of drone
        > behind. Does anyone know what this piece of music is or perhaps you
        > can put me in touch with the producer/editor of the video?
        >
        > Who ever did it well done! it got me out on the road for a couple of
        > days.
      • warren_the_green
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 21, 2005
          Shane that would be awesome, if you could find out who the artist was
          and maybe the title of the album it's from. I'd love to use it as
          background music in our yoga studio, especially if it is Tagore!

          Dipavajan if you're out there, which you always are! Well done

          Gratitude in abundance!
          Warren

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Ah, that would be one of Dipavajan's little touches. I believe it's a
          > rendition of a Tagore song. It's so haunting; it makes the hairs on
          > the back of my neck stand up everytime I see the video...
          >
          > I daresay Dipavajan mightn't be in a position to send you the song
          > seeing as he's somewhere between Moscow and St Petersburg at the
          > moment on the Run - my brother Colm might have it, I'll check for you...
          >
          > Shane
          >
          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, warren_the_green
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > A little while ago a saw an awesome video showing the activities of
          > > the World Harmony Run in Europe. The video is really inspiring in
          > > itself.
          > >
          > > What I would love to know though is this, at the end of the video is
          > > an enchanting piece of female Indian vocal with a kind of drone
          > > behind. Does anyone know what this piece of music is or perhaps you
          > > can put me in touch with the producer/editor of the video?
          > >
          > > Who ever did it well done! it got me out on the road for a couple of
          > > days.
        • hareen2u
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2005
            Hi Warren the green : That beautiful music belongs to an excelent
            album called 'Sacred Chants of Shiva' by the Singers of the Art of
            Living. The whole cd has a very devotional atmosphere. It was
            published on 1997 by Heaven on Earth Music Ltd. Probably it is not too
            dificult for you to find it. Otherwise...tell me.
            Hareen

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
              Hi Everybody,

              I'm just curious if there's other "favorites" out there when you want
              some musical variety... I've been lucky to add to my repertoire some
              CDs that I've discovered from our own grapevine: the soundtrack to the
              movie "Himalaya" (the movie is quite good too), Krishna Das (his music
              was the focal point of a circus act I participated in), Ravi
              Shankar...

              One I recently came across is "Baul Songs of Bengal." Purna Das Baul
              is a well-known Baul singer with his own institute in San Diego.
              According to his website http://www.purnadasbaul.org , "The Bauls are
              a tradition of religious minstrels in Bengal whose songs of joy, love,
              and longing for mystical union with the Divine evoke a profound
              spirituality." Does anybody else have this CD? It's quite nice.

              Any others that people particularly like? I must admit that when I'm
              in the mood for Western music I've practically played to death a CD
              called "Celtic Woman" that we got in at the library. Apparently it was
              also a PBS-taped concert although I've never seen it on TV. Of course,
              nothing beats Sri Chinmoy's singing as my all-time favorite...

              Sharani

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, hareen2u

            • stacy_p_nz
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 29, 2005
                Hello Sharani, and Everybody,

                I was given a cd a few years ago which is really nice. I refer to it
                as "nuns music". It is 13th and 14th Century prayers to the Virgin Mary.

                It was recorded by a New York based group of four women who call
                themselves "Anonymous Four". The cd is put out by Harmonia Mundi.

              • lotika_rus
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
                  Hi all,
                  It is an interesting topic out here. Well, I am a great lover of all
                  kinds of ethnical music, not only Indian. I love Georgian singing,
                  Russian folk songs and many other things. Recently I have discovered
                  for myself the Armenian Duduk. It is kind of a flute, with a very
                  unusual sound. When I first heard it, I felt like the music is
                  entering straight into my heart. Duduk sounds like the soul's cry to
                  me. If you never heard what that instrument is, you can visit the

                  http://duduk.com/Arm-music-ins/Duduk/Duduk-Info/index.html

                  Here you can listen to mp3 files of one of the best Duduk players in
                  the world, Jivan Gasparyan:

                  http://www.zvuki.ru/A/P/37421
                  http://zombie.com.ru/mp3/world%20music/Djivan%20Gasparyan/
                  http://mp3.hayastan.am/index.php?q=f&f=%2FJivan+Gasparyan

                  Let me know how you like it!
                  Lotika

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Hi Lotika,

                    I didn't have success following your links for the mp3 files. The
                    first one had me baffled because I don't know Russian. There was one
                    area as I scrolled down that listed track numbers in English but when
                    I clicked on that another page in Russian opened up. The second one
                    said it was an error with access denied, and the third one didn't go
                    through when I clicked on the link the list with Jivan's name. Do you
                    have any advice or different links to try?

                    thanks
                    Sharani

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lotika_rus
                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > >
                    > > Any others that people particularly like? I must admit that when I'm
                    > > in the mood for Western music I've practically played to death a CD
                    > > called "Celtic Woman" that we got in at the library. Apparently it was
                    > > also a PBS-taped concert although I've never seen it on TV. Of course,
                    > > nothing beats Sri Chinmoy's singing as my all-time favorite...
                    > >
                    > > Sharani
                    > >

                    > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, hareen2u
                    > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Hi Warren the green : That beautiful music belongs to an excelent
                    > > > album called 'Sacred Chants of Shiva' by the Singers of the Art of
                    > > > Living. The whole cd has a very devotional atmosphere. It was
                    > > > published on 1997 by Heaven on Earth Music Ltd. Probably it is not
                    > > too
                    > > > dificult for you to find it. Otherwise...tell me.

                  • lotika_rus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                      Sharani,
                      If you click on the first link

                      http://www.zvuki.ru/A/P/37421

                      go to the end of the page, there you can see the little blinking
                      headsets - these are the links to actual mp3 files. Click on a
                      headset, you'll come to 4 different options of the mp3 file: the first
                      two ones are to listen to the mp3 file, the last two ones are to
                      download it on your computer. Enjoy!

                    • hubertfromsalzburg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Hi Lotika & all other spiritual world music lovers,

                        since i work in Gandharva Loka i would like to contribute some
                        insights i got over the years.

                        concerning the Duduk i fully agree. for me it is very close to the
                        human voice and therefore capable of such a soul-stirring expression.
                        to Gasparian i would like to add GEVORG DABAGIAN, my all-time
                        favourite for Duduk. i know only one cd of his: "The Music of Armenia
                        Vol.3: The Duduk" (Celestial Harmonies). in my feeling he transcends
                        Gasparian in spiritual depths and expression.

                        another all-time favourite of mine is MUNIR BASHIR. he is playing the
                        UD (a fretless lute).

                        http://www.oud.gr/bashir.htm

                        it is not one of his best pieces they offer on this link (of course
                        they want to show off with his excellent mastery of the instrument)
                        but it gives some insight. one cd i like is Munir Bashir "The Art of
                        the Ùd" (occora). i feel real spritual depth when i listen to his music.

                        Yet, no one of the musicians i listened to in 10 years of Gandharva
                        Loka service can come close to, let alone reach the Universe of Music
                        that Sri Chinmoy is exploring and manifesting for us.

                        Yours in the SUPREME MUSICIAN

                        hubert

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 6, 2005
                          Thanks to Lotika, Stacy and Hubert for sharing about this music. I
                          have already taken your suggestions to heart and purchased some CDs
                          for the library where I work. We already owned one CD by Anonymous 4
                          but I bought another called "1000 : A Mass for the End of Time."
                          Djivan Gasparyan (duduk) as well as Munir Bashir (ud) are completely
                          new to our network and I was able to find several CDs by them to
                          acquire from our usual sources. Hubert I didn't have any luck
                          purchasing a Gevorg Dabagian CD but thanks for sharing your
                          appreciation of him. In the spirit of "make new friends but keep the
                          old," I bought Celtic Woman 2 and added to our Loreena McKennitt
                          (folk) holdings while I was at it. Here's to hoping that others will
                          still share their gems as well!