And yet more smiles and illumination

  • anitabusic
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2005
      Dear all,

      I do hope you enjoy my posts. I choose what makes me smile, makes my
      heart light and merry, and my mind cheerful. When I feel happy, I
      just what to share it with all of you, for shared happiness is
      increased happiness. Don't you think?

      Anita

      * * *

      What makes God laugh?
      When a doctor tells his patient: "I cured you"

      * * *

      Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly!
      A Scottish Saying

      - Whoever knew the Scotts were so wise! :))

      * * *

      Desiderata
      Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there
      may be in silence.

      As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all
      persons.

      Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to
      the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

      Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit.

      If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter,
      for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

      Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in
      your own career, however humble, it's a real possession in the
      changing fortunes of time.

      Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of
      trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many
      persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of
      heroism.

      Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cyn ical
      about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantement, it
      is as perrenial as the grass.

      Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the
      things of youth.

      Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But
      do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born
      of fatigue and loneliness.

      Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

      You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the
      stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear
      to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore
      be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be. And whatever
      your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep
      peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
      it is still a beautiful world.

      Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

      * * *
    • carr_terri
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2005
        Hi Anita,

        I very much enjoy your posts! Anything with humor in it is a "must
        read". I am sure others feel the same. I especially enjoy the piece
        called "Desiderata". I have been familiar with it for many years -
        even before joining a spiritual path. It is full of wisdom,
        soulfulness and practicality.

        Thanks for posting it. Do you know if Desiderata is the name of the
        author or the title? I am curious to know more about the person who
        wrote this "essay". It is so beautifully composed.

        Terri

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anitabusic

      • anitabusic
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
          Hi Terri,

          Actually, in the e-mail I got the text, it said author unknown,
          so... sorry, cannot answer your question.

          Here is another joke, a bit naughty one though. No offense meant,
          just a laugh at human nature.

          * * *

          New York's Lawyer Goes To Hell

          A New York Divorce Lawyer died and arrived at the pearly gates.
          Saint Peter asks him "What have you done to merit entrance into
          Heaven?"

          The Lawyer thought a moment, then said, "A week ago, I gave a
          quarter to a homeless person on the street." Saint Peter asked
          Gabriel to check this out in the record, and after a moment Gabriel
          affirmed that this was true. Saint Peter said, "Well, that's fine,
          but it's not really quite enough to get you into Heaven." The Lawyer
          said, "Wait! There's more! Three years ago I also gave a homeless
          person a quarter." Saint Peter nodded to Gabriel, who after a moment
          nodded back, affirming this, too, had been verified.

          Saint Peter then whispered to Gabriel, "Well, what do you suggest we
          do with this fellow?" Gabriel gave the Lawyer a sidelong glance,
          then said to Saint Peter, "Let's give him back his 50 cents and tell
          him to go to Hell."

          * * *

          And here is a Sufi wisdom-gem:

          * * *

          The Sufi is pleased with everything that God does, so that God will
          be pleased with all that he does.

          Abu Sa'id Lbn Abi-L-Khayr

          * * *

          I like it. Be pleased with God, and God will be pleased with you.
          Simple, effective, and yet not-always-so-easy to achieve, at least
          for me. How do others fair in this case? And what do you do to be
          constantly pleased? Is there anyone who has achieved this? If yes,
          please reveal the secret.

          Anita :))

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri