Re: Self-Transcendence Marathon

  • nayak_ltp
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2003

      I can't tell you how nice it is to read the messages about Sri
      Chinmoy from the eyewitnesses down in New Zealand. I see that he is
      inspiring people in the same humble but joyful way that he pursues
      anywhere in the world. I hope that the internet will become a more
      rewarding place by having news about his lifting and other activities
      posted.

      I understand that Sri Chinmoy has now lifted 1000 lambs. That is an
      achievement, both as a very large weight to have borne aloft, but
      also in the unique choice of animals. Everyone loves lambs, and they
      have such good qualities, so that these lifts bring those qualities
      to our attention, and then there is a good smile to be had over the
      never-before-seen spectacle of a man lifting so many cute animals.
      Who else would lift so many creature overhead except one who sees
      something special in every living creature?

      I have enjoyed telling my friends about these lifts, and everyone has
      gotten a lift from it.

      And, I have to share one of my favorite aphorisms by Sri Chinmoy:

      Leave behind
      Not your words
      But your deeds for mankind.

      ---#11239 from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees

      From Nayak

      * * * * * * * * * * * *

      This lady is very impressive, and Sri Chinmoy lifted her. She was
      the first woman to climb Mt. Everest without oxygen, and she climbed
      during a period when others died in the attempt. Lydia Bradey (New
      Zealand)--a brave soul--was honoured by Sri Chinmoy in his
      programme "Lifting up the World with a Oneness-Heart". Lydia summited
      in 1988, and since then has kept up her quest of the high and
      beautiful. She established a firm that specializes in taking people
      to spiritual places in the wilderness. One of her special places is
      Mongolia.

      It was quite something to see this enduring woman with a radiant face
      and noble bearing stand atop Sri Chinmoy's special lifting
      platform. We knew that she had stood on the top of the world, and
      this height seemed to stand there with us as we watched the
      distinguished Sri Chinmoy bear her weight and lift her up to a summit
      of honour.

      She spoke appreciatively of this honour after the lift, and we knew
      that she understood the meaning of it and added luster to the roll of
      others who had been honoured, such as the great Nelson Mandela.

      The date of the lift: 22 December, 2002, in the Grand Chancellor
      Hotel Ballroom, Christchurch, New Zealand.

      ** * * * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:45 am
      Subject: Music you want to hear

      Sri Chinmoy offered a significant concert for nearly 800 people in
      New Zealand's Christchurch Cathedral(the main cathedral in
      Christchurch).

      This cathedral is the central spot for visitors and residents alike.
      Regardless of religion, the cathedral is a welcoming focal point
      which sees seekers, shoppers, travelers, businessmen, street
      musicians, lively teenagers, lunchtime office folk and just about
      everyone pass by or stay near its spire for a few minutes. To me it
      represents tolerance and the open arms you find in Christchurch. The
      Savior would be proud of the service His little big church is doing
      here.

      And I was very happy there to hear a concert by Sri Chinmoy that
      brought all of these people together under one roof to experience the
      quiet through music that this musical master brings. There was a
      variety of instruments that came to life at his beck, including the
      opening trumpet-like conch, the flute, violin, haunting Japanese
      keyboard, and several others.

      There was not one word spoken from the beginning to the end of the
      concert. The music was a real refuge from the stress of the world,
      and you came away feeling recharged, feeling as if you had been in on
      something special, something that spoke the real language beyond
      words.

      I remember seeing kids, old ladies and men, the poor, the rich, sit
      through the generous two-hour offering and come away with a nod to me
      and a smile. We had shared something.

      Now, remembering this event, I feel that I had one of the most
      memorable musical meals of my life.

      If you can hear Sri Chinmoy, either live or through one of his CDs, I
      do recommend it highly.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      * * * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Thu Jan 2, 2003 8:01 am
      Subject: diversity

      This evening was a good evening to break stereotypes of what a
      spiritual teacher is. Spiritual teachers just meditate and stay in
      the
      other world, right? Wrong. This evening, among other amusements, Sri
      Chinmoy invited some of the "boys", ranging in age from 20's to 60's,
      to participate in a leg lift contest. Lying on the floor, each
      participant raised their knees to their chest and then dropped their
      legs back to the floor, then repeated. And repeated and repeated. All
      this done to the beat of a pretty smart count. One by one the
      contestants faded out until only Ashrita, the Guinness world-record-
      breaker and Durdam, the indomitable athlete, continued, reaching over
      1,800 lifts. Durdam won with his very excellent form, but both of
      these final contestants reached a great summit.

      While we pursued this feat (I was one of them, and the first to fade)
      our teacher was sitting in a chair watching while he drew soul-birds
      and
      commented on the form of the leg-lifts, constantly exhorting us to
      maintain proper form. About 200 students also watched this display
      of bodily prowess. There was a feeling of amusement, of joy at
      watching our good friends kill themselves in friendly competition,
      and, finally, of amazement of the extent of the physical competence
      of these final heroes. And, I must compliment one of my 60-year-old
      (plus) buddies who reached 400 or 500 lifts.

      This celebration of the physical was organized on the spot by the
      Spiritual Teacher who earlier had shared his famous samadhi (trance)
      with us, who had composed songs celebrating God, God, God, in God-
      ecstasy, who had offered prayers such as the following:

      "Every day my soul's fragrance-delight is intensifying my heart's
      aspiration-cry."

      I am on this path because of events like this. I am on this path
      because of combinations like this. Nothing, nothing, nothing is
      excluded from the Sri Chinmoy's world.

      Nayak

      To find more of the breadth of this great teacher, go to

      http://www.srichinmoy.org/

      * * * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Tue Jan 7, 2003 10:21 pm
      Subject: creation

      Tuesday, 8 January 2002

      Last night we celebrated Sri Chinmoy's completion of 17,000 songs. I
      have,
      perhaps, composed 100 songs in my life, so I stand in awe of this sky-
      reaching achievement.

      I have never known anyone as creative as Sri Chinmoy. Such a long
      list of
      achievements, but when you see him, he never looks busy, and he seems
      to have time for everything that is needed. He spends so much time
      with us, his students, just listening to us, meditating with us,
      looking at us, talking with us. And then there is, alongside all
      that, the marvelous flow of creativity, just now capped by 17K
      songs.

      Once Sri Chinmoy said, "I like to keep busy". And that, I feel, is
      his
      secret. He moves steadily—never in a hurry—from one project to
      another. Plus, he combines in a way that kills two or three birds
      with one stoner. For example, he may spend an hour or two dictating
      poetry to the members of one of the young girl's singing groups. One
      poem to this person, another to the next, and so on down the line.
      He makes a comment or two to them along the way, and interacts like
      father and friend. The girl's love it, and by this steady walk along
      the poetry path, Sri Chinmoy soon has a hundred new poems. How long
      would
      it take you or me to write a hundred poems and make a group of people
      happy? Sri Chinmoy's achievement river does it just by flowing along
      beside
      the bank of humanity and sharing himself.

      Plus, Sri Chinmoy is really "with it". How many people have we seen
      move
      beyond the reach of our live, young consciousness as they age? Yet,
      Sri Chinmoy has fun with the kids as well as with the aged "7-year
      olds."

      Here is a taste of Sri Chinmoy's "with-it" creativity, a prayer he
      offered
      on 23 December:

      "At long last my age-old ignorance prison is in flames."

      Nice image, eh? The giant flames consuming that which has tortured
      us for so long.

      Be happy everyone, and be inspired to make your own special offering.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Thu Jan 9, 2003 9:39 am
      Subject: Re: An invitation to my spiritual family

      Dear Pradhan, this is a nice feeling, a nice thought, a nice action.
      This is another way to be aware that Sri Chinmoy does everything for
      us,
      including inspiring us with profound thoughts like this.

      Your brother,

      Nayak

      P.s. I wanted to know how to attach links to my messages to direct
      people to some nice places. How do you do that? When I copy and
      paste a link, it just comes out as text and not as a nicely tinted
      link.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "Pradhan Balter"
      <pradhan@i...> wrote:
      > First of all, greetings to all. Since this post has to do with
      Sri Chinmoy's walking, I am thrilled to share that Sri Chinmoy
      lowered his mile
      walk time from 28 minutes to 19 minutes.

      > Now onto the invitation...I had a thought. Those of us in Australia
      are watching Sri Chinmoy courageously and purposefully practice his
      walking
      despite knee pain so severe that there is a subtle (and sometimes not
      so subtle) wince with every step. I know that those of us who are
      watching Sri Chinmoy's efforts do so with a mixture of joy and
      heartache:
      Joy at seeing Sri Chinmoy walk, but heartache at witnessing his pain.

      > Sri Chinmoy does everything for us, which brings me to my
      invitation: can
      we not all walk and run on his behalf? That is, to feel with each
      step we take that it is on behalf of him and that he is running in
      and through us? Perhaps we can all be a little more inwardly diligent
      when we run to make this a reality?

      > What d'ya think?
      >
      > Pradhan
      >
      > A few links as a reminder to some sites containing more writings by
      > Sri Chinmoy and about Sri Chinmoy:
      >
      > The official site of Sri Chinmoy:
      > http://www.srichinmoy.org
      > >
      > A huge library, containing more than a thousand books by Sri
      Chinmoy:
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com

      * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Thu Jan 9, 2003 9:45 am
      Subject: Meditation

      Meditation is like eating the best meal you ever had. My first
      hesitant steps in meditation were made with Lord Buddha many years
      ago, in Thailand. But I place at Sri Chinmoy's feet the cheerfulness
      and
      happiness that I have obtained as a meditator, because with him I
      have come to feel that something is meditating for me, very deeply,
      even when I am asleep.

      Meditation, I hope to offer you a nice cup of progress soon. Sri
      Chinmoy, I want to be like you when I grow up (I am age 63 now).

      Nayak

      * * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:16 am
      Subject: the girl and the kangaroo

      Today Sri Chinmoy lifted a number of his students here in Palm Cove,
      Australia. Among them was a little girl holding a giant stuffed toy
      kangaroo. The kangaroo was almost as big as her. She was so
      beautiful, so sweet, so wonderfully childish. Sri Chinmoy had a nice
      photo
      taken of her standing next to him with, of course, the kangaroo.

      I like this kind of thing. If I had not entered spiritual life,
      would I ever see a little girl, a stuffed kangaroo, and a great
      smiling spiritual teacher together? No, never! I would just be
      sitting somewhere worrying that I was worried.

      Spiritual life: where everything stays young.

      Nayak

      * * * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:20 am
      Subject: Re: Chinmoy-Vina

      Hi, Nivedak,

      Thanks for the web link. And, you must listen to that music just
      before you run so fast. You run so FAST!

      Nayak

      Nivedak
      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "Corradini"
      <md9784@m...> wrote:

      > Last night Sri Chinmoy played on his Chinmoy-Vina at our meeting.
      Its
      exquisite
      > beauty touches me every time that I hear it. It is an extraordinary
      instrument
      > with a deeply haunting sound. When I listen, I have the impression
      of
      > hearing not one, but many instruments at the same time, with all
      the cords
      > vibrating. It fills the room, but fills even more my heart and
      everybody's
      > heart.
      > I felt like sitting somewhere high up on a mountain in the
      Himalayas,
      > and hearing the music echoing and re-echoing in all the valleys
      around,
      > from mountain to mountain, all-encompassing, filling the air and
      > everything around me and in me. Without noticing, I found myself
      > meditating effortless, carried by the timeless flow of this sublime
      music.

      > Then Sri Chinmoy gave us the opportunity of singing some songs,
      that have
      just
      > been written recently, while he was playing. I felt even
      > more than before part of the music itself.
      >
      > Listening to this music is very touching, I wish I could hear it
      more often.
      > Such nice moment to treasure !
      >
      > You find some of Sri Chinmoy's music at
      > www.srichinmoy.org/html/library/music/index.html
      >
      > Nivedak

      * * * * * *
      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:24 am
      Subject: Re: Evening Tranquility and Morning Beauty in Australia

      Dear Agraha,

      Thanks for your inspiration. There is something special about the
      dawn, and you got the feeling of it.

      This entire period with Sri Chinmoy is like a dream. The challenge is
      wake up from our usual sleep, and just say, "I am here!" These are
      historic days for the students and for Sri Chinmoy.

      Thanks for the word-music.

      Nayak

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "agrahaj
      <agraha@b...>" <agraha@b...> wrote:
      > I awoke very early--inspired like a child! Last night was so
      > wonderful with Sri Chinmoy meditating very powerfully and all of us
      singing
      > his most soul-stirring songs. Such deep tranquility...
      >
      > This morning, meditation at the ocean to the rising sun. Golden
      rays
      > illumining everything.
      >
      > How I pray that this beauty and happiness shall be able to spread
      > this pain-filled world! One person, one heart at a time. I must
      > repeat this and gain strength from this. I do have faith that
      Sri Chinmoy's
      > path, that the path of spirituality, is one of true and enduring
      > transformation.
      >
      > One of Sri Chinmoy's poems from January 8th which I love very much
      is:

      > Dreams come true
      > Only if we dearly love them
      > And proudly treasure them.
      >
      > Gratefully,
      >
      > Agraha

      * * * * * * * *

      From: "akanews <akanews@y...>" <akanews@y...>
      Date: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:39 am
      Subject: songs and such

      As I write, Sri Chinmoy is teaching an arrangement of one of his
      songs, which he set
      to four-part harmony. It is a haunting, slow song,
      and the arrangement is very beautiful, with not only the harmony, but
      with rhythms that sweep apart and then come back together.

      Prior to that, he played the "Chinmoy-Vina", an esraj-like
      instrument that was built for him by Sumadhur and given this unique
      name by none other than Ravi Shankar. Sri Chinmoy would play a song
      on the
      Chinmoy-vina, then the assembled group would sing it. Very nice!

      Nayak

      * * * * * * ** *

      2-17-03 May I have the last glance?

      Sometimes just one glance can change everything.

      A few days ago I was in Australia at one of our last meetings with
      Sri Chinmoy on the Christmas trip. The meeting drew to a close,
      and , as is our custom, the entire audience rose as Sri Chinmoy got
      up to leave. We stand up because of our tremendous respect for him.
      If a court stands up for the judge and the multitude stands up for
      the King, then we are moved to stand up for someone who means
      infinitely more to us than any of those noble people. But this story
      is not about standing up, it is about a glance.

      I noted in an earlier story that we never tire of our teacher's
      presence, and even after being with him for hours, many of his
      students will follow him at a respectful distance as he leaves the
      hall to get into the car waiting for him. Many of us will line the
      hall as he leaves, and he affectionately and indulgently smiles at
      many as he leaves. That smile is amazing and a great boost. It is
      nectar.

      This particular day, I felt the need of that extra smile, and as Sri
      Chinmoy rose to leave the meeting, I went out in the hallway and
      waited among others for him to pass. I don't always do this, because
      sometimes I feel so spiritually full from the proceedings that it
      feels downright greedy to run out for more, depriving a hallway spot
      from someone else who may be in need. But this time, I really wanted
      it. The trip was drawing to a close, I had been battling myself for
      days, and I was in need. I stood in the hall in a spot that he
      couldn't miss. You may call this manipulative, but one can never
      manipulate a great spiritual master like Sri Chinmoy. If he wants to
      look, if the need is there, he will look, and if there is no need, or
      if there is an undivine demand for a look, he may not look.
      Actually, forget any reasoning about this—the whole process of
      relating to a spiritual master is not logical or predictable.

      Sri Chinmoy came walking along and gave me a glance, and I soared.
      But there was some doubtful part of me that said, "he may be looking
      just because I am asking, not because he wants to", or something like
      that. Who cares what, but it was a ridiculous doubt, though real to
      me. Just then, he looked back and gave me a second deep glance,
      which dispelled any doubt that he wanted to give me something. I
      needed it and he gave it. I can not put into any words the feeling
      of inspiration that this second glance gave to me, but I re-lived it
      for days afterward. For me, it was the last glance of the trip, the
      look that would enable me to go back and face home, work, myself, the
      loss of his physical presence, the challenge of being alive and
      trying to progress in a difficult world.

      There were other meetings and high spiritual events in the two or
      three days that followed, but this one glance filled a special need.

      If you have never been in a great spiritual presence, perhaps these
      words can convey to you how meaningful each moment with a spiritual
      master can be.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      2-18-03 finding a teacher

      Sri Chinmoy has personally accepted thousands of students, and to
      watch him as he does so is a marvelous experience

      An example of this occurred on this last Christmas trip. A day or two
      before the close of the trip, he was looking at photos of people who
      wanted to be his student. These photos had been submitted by various
      Sri Chinmoy Centres around the world. There were dozens, if not
      hundreds of photos. He looked at each one intently. Occasionally he
      would ask a question of one of the Centre leaders or meditation
      teachers who had submitted a photo on behalf of a seeker. Sri Chinmoy
      looked very intently at each photo.

      The thrill was knowing that those people are heading toward a
      wonderful life experience. The greatest blessing is to find a
      teacher. And, for the few whom he did not accept, it was because they
      would make faster progress on another path.

      Nayak

      * * * * * * * *

      Readers of the group news here may be interested to know that one of
      Sri Chinmoy's creations is Joy Days. At every Sri Chinmoy Centre in
      the world there is typically a Joy Day or Days several times a year,
      either just with the Centre or with several Centres combined. Here
      in Seattle we just had a Joy Day combining students from our Centre
      with those in Victoria and Vancouver, Canada. We meditated together,
      played games (Ultimate Frisbee, Ping Pong, bowling), entertained
      ourselves with a play by Sri Chinmoy, watched video highlights of his
      program lifting 1000 lambs and 100 cows in New Zealand, ran a 2-mile
      race and a 1-mile race, told jokes, read some of our teachers
      beautiful writings, did much soulful singing, ate fabulous meals, and
      so on. It was a tremendous break from the daily routine, and so much
      joy came from having fun with other meditators (and a very diverse
      lot they are). The point is joy, joy and more joy. So, those of you
      who think that spiritual life is dry, forget it! Remember Sri
      Chinmoy's famous aphorism, "God's greatest treasure is man's smile."

      By the way, some of the Joy Days in Europe or Russia involve hundreds
      Sri Chinmoy's students and dozens of his spiritual Centres.

      Be happy. Below are some sites to help you on your road to happiness.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      * * * * * * * * **

      3-3-03

      Sri Chinmoy loves his students. Once, after returning from a trip
      where he was on his own, without any of us, he commented "I missed
      you people." If you have a view that a great spiritual teacher is
      beyond human emotion, that misses the mark. Sri Chinmoy sees his
      students as part of his very self. He goes out of his way to make
      opportunities for his students to meet with him. How he gets anything
      done, I do not know, because he spends so much time with us. A
      friend, a father, an older brother.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      Some nice sites:

      Sri Chinmoy Library - http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com

      Sri Chinmoy Poetry - http://www.srichinmoypoetry.com

      Sri Chinmoy Races - http://www.srichinmoyraces.org

      Sri Chinmoy Centre - http://www.srichinmoycentre.org

      Sri Chinmoy Music - http://www.srichinmoymusic.com

      * * * * * * * * *

      3-13-03

      Sri Chinmoy met with Sting, the acclaimed musician, in Manhattan on 3-
      11. What is very striking is the musical preparation for that
      meeting. Days before, Sri Chinmoy had composed a song in honor of
      Sting. He sang it to his students on three or four occasions before
      the meeting. A choir of the students then met several times to
      practice the song, including at least two sessions of practice before
      the teacher, where he adjusted this and that note or phrasing and
      corrected the performance to perfection. In addition to a "Sting"
      song, there were two other songs by Sri Chinmoy setting the great and
      popular musician's soulful words to music.

      Sri Chinmoy values people and their service to humanity, and this
      preparation shows it. It is very rare for even a great person to
      have a song composed in their honor, and surely even more rare to
      have the song honed to such perfection.

      Sri Chinmoy values people and knows how to give them due honor.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      Links of interest:

      Sri Chinmoy Library - http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com

      Sri Chinmoy Poetry - http://www.srichinmoypoetry.com

      Sri Chinmoy Races - http://www.srichinmoyraces.org

      Sri Chinmoy Centre - http://www.srichinmoycentre.org

      Sri Chinmoy Music - http://www.srichinmoymusic.com

      Sri Chinmoy Art - http://www.srichinmoyart.com

      Radio Sri Chinmoy - http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org

      Sri Chinmoy TV - http://www.srichinmoy.tv

      Sri Chinmoy's main site: http://www.srichinmoy.org

      * * * * * * * * * * * *

      Last night Sri Chinmoy gave a concert for his students and guests.
      The concert was very inspiring, to say the least--seeing our teacher
      playing so many different instruments in such a haunting and lofty
      way.

      During the evening, some things stood out for me. One of them was Sri
      Chinmoy's performance on the echo flute—perhaps it was the bass echo
      flute. After playing several pieces with a most delightful echo
      effect, he then sang into the flute mouthpiece, so that his voice
      echoed throughout the hall. The delay on the echo was quite long, so
      that the two voices really felt like a double visitation from some
      far-off and inviting plane.

      A second striking thing was how dynamically Sri Chinmoy played the
      piano. The conclusion of his improvisation was like thunder,
      beautifully expressed and controlled thunder.

      Finally, Meghabhuti gave Sri Chinmoy a new scooter, which he tried
      out after the concert. It was a wonderful little scooter, with what
      appeared to be very friendly controls. I must say, to see and feel
      Sri Chinmoy cruise by just a foot or two away, meditating while
      driving his scooter, is like a big, big thrill.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      * * * * * * * * * * *

      The other day I was in new York at a function with Sri Chinmoy at
      P.S. 86. It was Wednesday evening and the main part of the function
      was over. Sri Chinmoy was just sitting on the stage in front of us.
      A guest at the function was a former TV figure who has known and
      admired Sri Chinmoy for some years. He is a real friend, and we see
      him several times each year. He always has very nice and interesting
      things to say.

      On this occasion, when there was a kind of pause in the doings, he
      asked if he could speak to the group, and Sri Chinmoy was very
      gracious and enthusiastic in response, so he came up on stage to the
      microphone. He told a story of a close relative of his—someone he
      was very fond of—you could tell by the way he spoke—who had recently
      been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer—only one in two million
      people get it. Further, at diagnosis, the cancer had invaded 40% of
      the lungs of this dear relative. Since we are all very fond of this
      man, our hearts went out to him and the relative, and we knew that
      this was not going to be an ordinary story. He told of how the
      doctors had told her that the cancer was very aggressive and terminal
      and that she should deliver now (rather than later) on any promises
      that she had made to her young children. She had promised them that
      she would take them to Disneyland this summer, but, at the urging of
      the doctors, she took them there pronto, like last month.

      Sri Chinmoy came to learn of this tragic prognosis, and, as our
      friend at the microphone told, the great spiritual teacher took a
      very personal interest in it and was devoting a considerable part of
      his prayer and meditation to it. Well, recently the patient went back
      to the doctors for a check-up on the situation, and the doctors were
      amazed that the tumor had considerably receded and that there were
      just dead cells in many of the places where there had been cancer.
      (At this point in the story Sri Chinmoy gave an amusing laugh about
      the doctor's amazement.)

      Our friend on stage, who had been addressing us in the audience, then
      turned to Sri Chinmoy behind him and gave the most touching "thank
      you" to him. His voice was filled with emotion, and we were all moved
      by his gratitude.

      As a beautiful postscript, Sri Chinmoy then left the stage and went
      out of the auditorium. A moment later, someone came and called our
      friend to come and see our teacher, and he was there for some
      considerable time for a private interview. When our friend returned,
      he had such an expression of joy. He waved goodbye to us and rushed
      off to the airport.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      Links:

      * * * * * * *

      When I was a kid, I visited a place in the United States called the
      continental divide. It is that place—actually a line—in the Rocky
      Mountains which divides water flowing east and ending up in the
      Atlantic from water flowing west and ending up in the Pacific. I
      remember my amazement that a matter of a mere inch or less could
      separate such vastly different destinations. My brothers and I poured
      a little water on either side of the divide and dreamed of the long
      journey that these drops would take that would put them so far apart.

      Now this just came back to me as an image of what happens when people
      accept the spiritual life. The moment after becoming a student of
      Sri Chinmoy I can not have been outwardly very much different than
      the moment before, but the destination of the person left behind was
      very different than the person who now had a Master to follow. The
      slightest angular change in direction yields many miles of
      separation, as time goes on.

      Sri Chinmoy has said that if you ever get discouraged with your
      spiritual life, you should look back at where you were before. You
      will feel gratitude for what you have become. When I teach meditation
      classes, this change that I have seen in myself gives me more
      authority to encourages others to embark on the journey than any
      theories I might cook up. Behind this, smiling and standing, is the
      person who ever gives me the courage to continue—Sri Chinmoy. The
      pilot of the boat has taken me through so many rough seas that I can
      not help but have faith in his rudder.

      Nayak

      * * * * * * *

      Thanks, Prachar, for the update on our progress, and hope the site
      will be come livelier and livelier, swarming with sincere comments
      from our community.

      Today, June 7, 2003, our group is exactly 6 months old. As a
      historical point, the very first message posted was dated Sat Dec 7,
      2002 11:36 am, by Laurilee McMichael in Taupo. We have been posting
      messages at the average rate of 128 per month during the 6-month
      period, or roughly 4 per day. However, in the last month (7 May to 6
      June), we posted 179 messages, or about 6 per day, a great
      improvement. I do feel that we could have 20 or 30 messages per day,
      even with the current membership, given the rich material of our
      collective lives and love of our teacher and his blessed activities.

      The small plot below gives the approximate number of messages per
      month in each of the initial six months. Each "X" is approximately
      20 messages.

      1 XXX
      2 XXXXXXXXX
      3 XXXXXX
      4 XXXXXXX
      5 XXX
      6 XXXXXXXXX

      So, the last month has been good, and totally eclipsed the previous
      month, which included the April Celebration in New York, when people
      had less access to the internet.

      Let us see if we can really hear about things this month.

      I am amazed to see the word "statistical" on our web site, Prachar's
      subject line. But, everything is created by God, including
      statistics, which some students call "sadistics" after they are
      required to take it to pass through the portals of graduation.

      I find Sri Chinmoy to be the most avid statistician, in the sense
      that he is quite interested in the numbers of people who did this and
      that or attended various events, and so on. He is also very
      interested in the number of pounds he has been able to lift, the
      number of people, etc. This is kid-like enjoyment of progress and
      newness.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      * * * * * * * * * *

      On Father's Day Sri Chinmoy began the five and a half hour function
      by inviting all fathers to walk by him twice to receive his blessing.
      I was one of those, and I did experience the leap of the heart as I
      walked by him. Walking back to my seat, I felt touched by the glow in
      the center of my chest that he planted there.

      Many things happened at this function, including a simply outstanding
      meal, but the part I liked the most and have the least capacity to
      recall in detail, was Sri Chinmoy's interactions with us at a very
      personal level. In the course of the proceedings, he had occasion to
      comment to this person or that, and these comments were broadcast to
      the entire assembled group. He was now praising this person or
      chiding that one, and I was a beautiful lesson in how to make people
      happy.

      IN addition, there was a period where reprints of Sri Chinmoy's
      artwork (Jharna Kala) were on display, and they showed some new
      technique that he has added to his repertoire. Among these are
      paintings illustrating qualities, such as "happiness", which show ver
      y strong application of paint to the canvas, such that the texture of
      the paint adds to the color. Indescribable and wonderful.

      WE had at least three waves of prasad. Hundreds of people left the
      meeting very happy.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      * * * * * *

      I want to thank you, everybody, for this forum and the many
      contributions to it. There is a spark here that sets me on fire and
      reminds me that I am of God, to put it bluntly. Sri Chinmoy has done
      his job well, because so many of his students are now good at
      sticking to their spiritual life and keeping that in front. Ravi
      Shankar commented on how hard our teacher has worked with his
      students, and it really does show in the kind of community we have.

      I am in touch with the other members of our path on a frequent basis
      every day, and that is a tremendous blessing, because what we have in
      common is our love of our Guru and of this spiritual life. Somehow
      when the poles of spiritual electricity are connected between two of
      us we get that great spark, even if we are talking aobut vegetarian
      turkey or soccer or pianos or even some silly little thing.

      The world seems most wanting in joy, and that precious commodity i
      see in abundance among us.

      So, well, congratulations to you and you and you, and . . . . . me.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      Here is a link I really like:

      http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/

      * * * * * * * * *

      Thanks, Prachar, for the update on our progress, and hope the site
      will be come livelier and livelier, swarming with sincere comments
      from our community.

      Today, June 7, 2003, our group is exactly 6 months old. As a
      historical point, the very first message posted was dated Sat Dec 7,
      2002 11:36 am, by Laurilee McMichael in Taupo, concerning Sri
      Chinmoy"s lamb lifts. We have been posting messages at the average
      rate of 128 per month during the 6-month period, or roughly 4 per
      day. However, in the last month (7 May to 6 June), we posted 179
      messages, or about 6 per day, a great improvement. I do feel that we
      could have 20 or 30 messages per day, even with the current
      membershnjip, given the rich material of our collective lives and
      love of our teacher and his blessed activities.

      Thge small plot below shows the number of messages per month in each
      of the initial six months. Each "X" is approximatley 20 messages.

[...]

      * * * ** * * * *

      Recently I was involved in some pretty intense activity to help
      prepare something for one of Sri Chinmoy's events. There were some
      nearly sleepless nights and one completely sleepless night. Others
      were in the same boat—working hard. The event went well, and my pace
      has returned to something less than those days. I am writing this
      because Sri Chinmoy is never able to return to another pace after an
      event, because he always has a next event or activity coming right
      up. I was exhausted, really exhausted, after this episode, though
      spiritually very, very uplifted. Sri Chinmoy always, always appears
      relaxed, clam, but he has far more on his plate than any of us or all
      of us combined. It was a new way to admire our spiritual teacher, and
      new reason to bow to him in gratitude. He is shouldering far more
      than any of us can imagine, yet he never loses his poise.

      A wonderful experience.

      Yours,

      Nayak

      This site will tell you all about Sri Chinmoy, in many different form:

      Sri Chinmoy's main site: http://www.srichinmoy.org

      * * * * * * * * * * ** *

      The other day I was walking past Sri Chinmoy, as did several hundred
      other students in a "walk past". For these events we walk by the
      Master slowly while he meditates on us, offers his darshan and
      blessing, and we try to meditate, as well. On this particular
      occasion, Sri Chinmoy was finishing a rather long function with us,
      and so he asked us to walk by quickly, which we did. Our teacher was
      quite informal, even speaking to this person or that, something he
      never does when we do a really "high" and very meditative walk past.

      As my turn came to walk by, he had a glowing smile, as he did for
      each person. As I was passing right in front of him, he moved one
      finger up slightly, which gave me the greatest thrill. You may say
      that it was accidental, but no! The master is never accidental.
      Plus, I had my inner feeling, which soared at this tiny gesture.

      Sri Chinmoy says that the physical universe is like a tiny dot in the
      spiritual heart. I say that a tiny finger movement carries the
      entire message of my Lord's Compassion.

      Love,

      Nayak

      * * * * * * * *

      Thank you for bringing back the glorious event into my memory. The
      highlight for me was the presence of Sri Chinmoy at the start of the
      race and his continuing presence by the finish line for many hours.
      Each time I passed the "home base" of the finish area, I got a
      wonderful boost from looking at him and also feeling his tremendous
      compassion and patience in spending so many hours with us. I believe
      that he was on site for about eight hours. I had a tremendous burst
      of energy at the finish and sprinted in, and I enjoyed this last
      boost from my hero, Sri Chinmoy.

      Throughout the race, he waved to the runners and offered his
      encouragement by so many gestures. He is, of course, extremely
      popular (to say the least!) with his students, and, besides being an
      intimate friend to all of us, he is a good "celebrity" in the way he
      so kindly shares his time with his "fans". He has a million things to
      do, but he always puts his students first.

      The race support was also remarkable. There were a number of singers
      and musicians along the route, as well as one person reciting Sri
      Chinmoy's poetry, and they gave me a tremendous lift each time I
      passed. The servers at the aid stations were indomitably cheerful
      and helped us a lot. All of these people—musicians, singers,
      reciters—did a marathon of their own, a service marathon. And they
      stayed so nicely cheerful and encouraging throughout. This, to me,
      really shows the boon of spiritual life. Where else would you get
      the delightfully positive energy to share with others for so many
      hours?

      Finally, I am extremely happy that I finished. My time was miserable—
      6:41:37, but I was delighted to have finished. Last year I had two
      stents put in my heart and I had to lay off running for over six
      months. I am extremely proud that I was able to keep on my feet and
      keep moving for so many hours. Those of us who finished toward the
      end beat the winners in duration on our feet! So, everybody wins
      with a great personal story of triumph. You will see me back next
      year!

      Love,

      Nayak

      P.S. I shall be looking for other inspiring marathon stories here and
      at

      http://www.srichinmoyraces.us/

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, salil_wilson
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Dear One and All,
      >
      > Thank you all so much for participating in yesterday's marathon.
      Runners,
      > helpers, spectators were all very much appreciated.
      >
      > I would like to invite everyone to post your reflections on the
      race in this forum
      > and I will ensure they are posted on the marathon page found at
      http://
      > www.srichinmoyraces.us/
      >
      > At the moment you can see photos of the top female and top male
      finishers as
      > well as all the results.
      >
      > More photos and stories to come (that's your responsibilty).
      >
      > Thank you again.
      >
      > Salil
    • asthaloy
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1 2:34 PM
        I was not able to run in this year's marathon, but I was amazed
        how much fun it could be to be a helper at an aid station,
        handing out drinks and cheering on the runners. As a runner,
        you tend to be very focused and introverted as you make your
        way forward along a marathon, trying only to get the most out of
        your physical capacity. You are an acive participant, but in a
        sense you see very little of the race as a whole. As a helper,
        however, you get an excellent feeling for the race as a whole.
        Every single runner has to pass by your aid station a number of
        times, and it becomes natural to have a sense of oneness with
        their ups and downs, joys and sorrows. In the case of Sri
        Chinmoy's Self-Transcendence Marathon, every runner was like
        my true brother or sister, so there was great joy to be had from
        attempting to encourage and support them along their journey.
        So many runners battled hour after hour despite tremendous
        difficulty and pain, and it was very satisfying to see them pass by
        our aid station for the last time, less than a mile from the finish
        line. Again, some runners literally flew by you lap after lap so you
        hardly saw their faces. The strength of these runners was
        equally inspiring, reminding us of the endless possibilties of
        self-transcence in the field of athletics. All in all, I had a great
        time, and I already look foreward to next years marathon!

        Asthaloy

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Dear One and All,
        >
        > Thank you all so much for participating in yesterday's
        marathon. Runners,
        > helpers, spectators were all very much appreciated.
        >
        > I would like to invite everyone to post your reflections on the
        race in this forum
        > and I will ensure they are posted on the marathon page found
        at http://
        > www.srichinmoyraces.us/
        >
        > At the moment you can see photos of the top female and top
        male finishers as
        > well as all the results.
        >
        > More photos and stories to come (that's your responsibilty).
        >
        > Thank you again.
        >
        > Salil
      • nayak_ltp
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3 10:52 AM
          Hi, Asthaloy,

          Thank you for all of your cheering and support at the aid station.
          The aid stations were trerrific and gave all of us runners a big
          boost from the big heart of the station servers.

          Yours,

          Nayak

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, asthaloy

        • salil_wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4 12:33 PM
            Asthaloy can be seen in action in by going to

            http://www.srichinmoyraces.us/s_c/gallery/usa_races/2003-08-29_marathon/
            salil/source/pict0043.htm

            Salil
            wrote:
            > I was not able to run in this year's marathon, but I was amazed
            > how much fun it could be to be a helper at an aid station,
            > handing out drinks and cheering on the runners. As a runner,
            > you tend to be very focused and introverted as you make your
            > way forward along a marathon, trying only to get the most out of
            > your physical capacity. You are an acive participant, but in a
            > sense you see very little of the race as a whole. As a helper,
            > however, you get an excellent feeling for the race as a whole.
            > Every single runner has to pass by your aid station a number of
            > times, and it becomes natural to have a sense of oneness with
            > their ups and downs, joys and sorrows. In the case of Sri
            > Chinmoy's Self-Transcendence Marathon, every runner was like
            > my true brother or sister, so there was great joy to be had from
            > attempting to encourage and support them along their journey.
            > So many runners battled hour after hour despite tremendous
            > difficulty and pain, and it was very satisfying to see them pass by
            > our aid station for the last time, less than a mile from the finish
            > line. Again, some runners literally flew by you lap after lap so you
            > hardly saw their faces. The strength of these runners was
            > equally inspiring, reminding us of the endless possibilties of
            > self-transcence in the field of athletics. All in all, I had a great
            > time, and I already look foreward to next years marathon!
            >
            > Asthaloy
            >

            > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, salil_wilson
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > Dear One and All,
            > >
            > > Thank you all so much for participating in yesterday's
            > marathon. Runners,
            > > helpers, spectators were all very much appreciated.
            > >
            > > I would like to invite everyone to post your reflections on the
            > race in this forum
            > > and I will ensure they are posted on the marathon page found
            > at http://
            > > www.srichinmoyraces.us/
            > >
            > > At the moment you can see photos of the top female and top
            > male finishers as
            > > well as all the results.
            > >
            > > More photos and stories to come (that's your responsibilty).
            > >
            > > Thank you again.
            > >
            > > Salil
          • arpan_deangelo
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 22, 2003
              I think most people know by now that the 2004 Self-Transcendence
              Marathon will be held on August 25 during Celebrations. Guru would
              like there to be atleast 1,000 runners in 2004 and 1,300 runners in
              2005. He said anyone who can run should start training today. He said
              if his legs would allow him that he would love to train and run it as
              well.
              If you need inspirationa and training advice please go to the
              Srichinmoymarathonteam website. They put online a very helpful yet
              simple and easy to follow marathon training program that I wrote a
              few years ago. It also has lots of Guru's advice as well as some
              things I have learned in my experiences at training and racing
              marathons. It is meant for the beginners and the more experienced
              runners as well. Even if you walk it, it will please Guru
              tremendously and your own body and soul as well, I am sure.

              I am sure there will be many visitors who will run it as usual. But
              Guru did say that there are many locals who can do it, hinting that
              he would probably like more locals to run it who have not
              participated in the past.
              I think the biggest obstacle in deciding to do it and then starting
              to train for it is fear in the mind. Guru told me this year that he
              feels that I can run the 3,100 mile race. He asked me if my mind is a
              problem. I think it is when it come to that distance, but I also told
              him that my knee was a problem. I am beginning to train for that race
              which is like 120 marathons in less than two months and my knee is
              feeling better although my mind is always a challenge.

              So my point is that you should decide that you will overcome the
              initial trepidation about a simple 26 mile race or run/walk even, and
              just follow the training program to the best of your ability and see
              what happens. I think you will be surprised how easy it is and how
              good you will feel.
              If you think you are too old, just go to my story (Nov.8-9) about 84
              year old Ted Corbitt who walked 69 miles straight in one day.
              Also try to remember that the hardest part is getting out the door
              and moving the body a few minutes or a few miles. Once you get past
              that, the momentum will carry you. After a week or so it will feel
              more natural and easy to do on a regular basis.

              What else can I say? Where there is a Will there is a way.
              Let's all be part of fulfilling Guru's wish for next year by starting
              this year. Procrastination will only make it that much harder.
              Good Luck, and see you out there.....
              Your fellow struggling runner,
              Arpan
            • suchana27
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
                Dear Brothers Arpan and Salil,

                Please, add my name to your list of runners for the next Self-
                Transcendence Marathon in August.

                Gratitude,

                Suchana C

                Inner and outer progress inspiration at:

                http://www.srichinmoyraces.us/
              • morrisklein27
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 28, 2004
                  I just wanted to share a few thoughts about my experiences in the
                  Self-Transcendence Marathon, held just this past Wednesday in
                  upstate New York.

                  At how many marathons are the last finishers greeted and cheered with
                  the same enthusiasm that the winners are?

                  Where else can we find a marathon where the spirit of each runner is
                  celebrated so significantly by a spiritual Master?

                  What a privilege it is to run with hundreds of other spiritual
                  seekers through a beautiful landscape of mountains, hills and lakes.

                  Sri Chinmoy offered this very beautiful prayer at the beginning of
                  the race:

                  Today's marathon
                  Is a unique
                  God-Invocation
                  God-Revelation
                  And God-Manifestation
                  Journey
                  In the physical body-world.
                • martanda_oslo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31, 2004
                    Close to 950 people started the Self-Transcendence Marathon.

                    At the start, Sri Chinmoy was on a platform giving the poem which
                    Morris quoted:

                    "Today's marathon
                    Is a unique
                    God-Invocation
                    God-Revelation
                    And God-Manifestation
                    Journey
                    In the physical body-world."

                    This poem set us off on the marathon. To my delight, Sri Chinmoy
                    stayed on that platform for what seemed like many hours. He was
                    taking photos of many, many of the runners. He was sitting just a
                    few meters from where we were running - so inspiring.

                    Morris was one hero-runner! He conquered the limitations of the
                    physical, and did the whole marathon at a good pace.

                    Did anyone see the deer just next to the running track?

                    Once I saw two "golden" deer grazing just a few meters from where
                    we were running, behind a small stone fence on the left. On the next
                    lap I saw 3 deer on the same spot. There were also other animals:
                    swans on the lake of course, and at one point a small, golden,
                    short-tailed squirrel ran across the path just in front of me.

                    From Martanda
                    (Who is a man of few words, but somehow must hold himself back from
                    not posting 10 posts a day on this site)

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, morrisklein27