Puffing Billy Race in Australia

  • pushpendra27
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Hello everyone!

      Today myself, Veeraja, Jeremy and Tristan went to one of the most
      famous running events in Australia - The Puffing Billy Run.

      Sri Chinmoy wrote about it (see "The World Experience Tree Climber"
      Part 3) after his visit to Australia in 1984.

      Every year there is a race, the train versus the runners. The runners
      start and finish at the same place as the train. But they run on the
      road, while the train goes on the track. The route is very hilly and
      very scenic. One year Kishore joined the race and he was one of those
      who beat the train. But the driver told me " We get joy in losing to
      the runners. Otherwise, could anybody defeat us?"

      We all went there to give out leaflets for our upcoming series of
      races ( see www.srichinmoyraces/au) but Tristan decided to run the
      race too and he did really well. He finished 9th out of over 2,400
      other runners! His time was 45 minutes and 58 seconds for the 13.2km
      course.
      He easily beat the train.
      He has also won 2 other smaller races in Melbourne in the past 3
      weeks. We are hoping he does a big PB in the marathon in New York in
      August.

      The Puffing Billy Run is such a joyful event.The race takes place in
      the hills just on the outskirts of Melbourne. The area is very
      beautiful and very hilly.
      The old steam train (Puffing Billy) is ladden with children and as
      they travel up to the finish they wave to all the runners. At 2 or 3
      points the train actually crosses the road on which the race is run so
      if you are just behind the train at that point you have to wait at the
      crossing while the train passes by.
      At the finish the driver, after stopping the train, has to run the
      last 300m to the finish line. It is always fun to watch the rather
      unfit and overweight train driver, fully clothed in boots and
      overalls, puff and pant up to the finish line whilst exhausted runners
      put in a desperate final sprint to try to overtake him. (One year
      Veeraja passed the driver just 20m from the finish).

      Sri Chinmoy also wrote of his experience on Puffing Billy:

      "Since my childhood ended, in my entire incarnation I have had only
      two or three happy moments. Of course, when I achieved God-realisation
      was one. And the day I rode with the engineer of the steam train in
      Australia was another.
      When I was young it was my greatest desire to be the driver of a train.
      God did not see fit to fufill this innocent desire of mine, but now my
      Australian children have fullfilled it!"

      You can read more about Sri Chinmoy's experience on Puffing Billy at
      "The World Experience Tree Climber Part 3"

      In Joy

      Pushpendra
    • beverly_canada
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2005
        Hello Pushpendra

        Perhaps even before I could speak, my mother would read a pocket-sized
        hardcover book of "Puffing Billy" to my sister and I. With its simple rhymes
        and cheerful colourful pictures, it was such a favourite that my older sister, at
        perhaps three or four years of age, had memorized the words and would
        "read" it out loud. It eventually became so battered that another copy had to
        be procured.

        A wonderous surprise - to discover a mainstay of my childhood in the context
        of an unparalleled race in Australia and a train that has fulfilled a childhood
        desire of our teacher. Thank-you for writing about it.

        Beverly, Vancouver

        "When you approach God as a child, He gives you what you have asked for,
        plus the full assurance that He will give you everything that He has in His
        Universe."

        - Sri Chinmoy
        [unofficial]

        From "The Core Of India's Light", Part 3, No. 18