Re: Wandering Mind and Health is Wealth

  • shane_dublincentre
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      I remember before I joined the path I was always really sensitive to
      what I ate, for example if I ate something high in sugar I would
      really feel the subsequent downer. I think back then my mentality
      definitely equated well-being with certain external events being just
      right - and food was certainly part of that.

      My time on the path has given me a certain level of inner stablility
      regardless of what is happening around me, but it has also led to a
      tendency to rebel against these former dependencies on external
      contingencies - the classic "yeah, give me that second slice of
      chocolate cake, sure it won't affect my inner achievement" syndrome.
      Of course, this is the pendulum swinging completely the other way, and
      it might be time to get the balance right...

      Shane

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri

    • piyasi29
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        Katec, thank you for your story about health. So true, so true, what
        Guru says.

        For most of my life I've taken my health for granted. Although I
        mentally knew and believed what Guru says about its link with
        spiritual health, I didn't have a direct understanding of this.
        Until, that is, some years ago, when I developed a mysterious
        unidentified illness which gradually made me very weak indeed. This
        weakness was not only physical, as it made it impossible for me to
        think clearly or sustain any task. Worst of all, I felt as though I
        was losing my capacity to meditate and aspire properly.

        Eventually, I found a practitioner who identified my illness and
        helped me to recover. As I regained my strength and fitness, I
        realised at first hand the importance of good health in our spiritual
        life. Needless to say, I shall never take good health for granted
        again.

        [Piyasi]

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Recently Guru said that health is wealth. I was so encouraged by
        these
        > words because lately I have been feeling in my own life the
        importance
        > of being more fit and healthy in order to be a better seeker. I know
        > that my physical can be a real aide in my spiritual quest and if
        > neglected or abused can be a hindrance.
        >
        > Me and a few friends of mine have committed ourselves to four weeks
        of
        > dedicated healthy eating, exercising and stretching. We are now
        over a
        > week through our austerities and are noticing radical improvements.
        > Interestingly what is most striking for me is not so much the way I
        am
        > feeling physically, but my consciousness and spiritual state of
        being.
        > Just by taking more care of the physical I am feeling happier,
        > clearer, lighter and more inspired. Obviously these benefits are
        > flowing over into my life of aspiration, and it feels great!
        >
        > In his own life Sri Chinmoy portrays his philosophy of physical
        > fitness and self-transcendence with his rigorous exercise regime and
        > his constant achievements in weightlifting. Here is something that
        > Guru has spoken about the relationship between the body and the
        soul:

        > In order to realise the Highest we have to have the body. But the
        body
        > has to be made into a perfect instrument. It is like the piano and
        the
        > pianist. Both of them are equally needed. If there is no piano, how
        > can the player play? And again, if there is no pianist, who will
        play
        > the instrument? So the soul needs the body and the body needs the
        > soul. The soul needs the body because without the body it cannot
        > fulfil its highest mission: God-manifestation on earth. The body
        needs
        > the soul in order to realise the highest transcendental Truth.
        >
        > There is a collection of answers that Guru has given to questions
        > regarding health in Politics and Spirituality. You can view them
        here:
        > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/
        >
        > Kate
        >

        > [Sorry Kate, that link may not work soon. But we hope that Aparajita
        > will be able to gives us back the search on the Library soon]
      • jayita_2708
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2005
          Hi All,

          Yes, health and wellbeing is something that we certainly take for
          granted. I can certainly speak about that from personal experience.

          Quite a number of years ago, I was involved in an serious accident
          and injured my spine. Prior to that, I was fit, healthy and full of
          energy!! I had little conception of what it was like to suffer from
          a serious physical ailment and I thought being healthy was quite
          overrated!

          After the accident, everything changed.. From that moment on, I had
          to face an uphill battle trying to cope with life... dealing with
          the pain, suffering from frequent headaches and lacking the energy
          that most normal people. Even doing the basics like cooking and
          cleaning were all too much!

          I prayed to God on many occasions to help me and to make me
          understand how to deal with the situation. And then during the 12hr
          walk last year, I really felt my prayers were answered and a message
          being spoken "do you not know that I care infinitely more for you
          than you can ever imagine.. of course I know how much pain and
          suffering you go through. But understand that because I love you so
          much, there is no-one more than I who would like to see you happy
          and well".

          Anyway, after getting that message, I realised that God alone knows
          what we are going through and it is just a matter of faith and
          patience to know that things will eventually work out.. Perhaps
          there is things we need to learn, perhaps there is people or
          ourselves that we need to forgive, or perhaps we just need to see
          things in a new light!

          After the accident, I was very resentful to everyone and everything
          that related to it. But after so many years, I have come to the
          conclusion that you have to move from where you are today. For
          better or worse, you are in the situation you are in, and you cannot
          undo the past. All you can do is more forward and as positively as
          possible.

          Anyway since the 12hr walk, things have improved. I still suffer and
          find things challenging at times (like this week!), but I can deal
          with it better than I used to and my physical condition has improved
          thanks to the help of the medical practitioners that have come into
          my life by the grace of God.

          Here are a couple of inspiring quotes by Sri Chinmoy;
          "Life like a river, always wants to go forward"
          "Life is a golden opportunity. The sooner we realise it, the better"
          "This life is a golder opportunity given to us by the Supreme".
          "Live in the immediacy of today and grow into the Golden future"

          Harmony and love to you all,
          Jayita

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, piyasi29

        • parashita7
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2005
            I know what you all mean. These days when I see someone running, I
            wish I could run again! I've had achilles tendonitis for months. I
            recently returned to my Yoga class and it's helping immensely.
            Still, I need to build up stamina. I feel kind of funny standing in
            the prasad line with so many great athletes. Someone swam the English
            channel at least once, along with other incredible swims; others did
            the Ironman; and so many are doing our incredible races! Health is
            definitely wealth!

            -- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jayita_2708