Re: SMILE

  • doriscott20002000
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1, 2005
      I too have a smile story to tell you.

      A few days ago I went into a supermarket to bye some food. The
      saleslady looked very serious and she was dressed as she was
      planning to go to a party.

      After I paid for my food she mechanically but friendly said 'have a
      nice evening'. I looked surprised. She apologized, corrected
      herself, still very serious saying: "Ah, have a nice day."

      I was reminded of an incident, where it was my turn to say 'good
      bye' but instead of saying that I said 'Auf Wiederhören.' (That's
      the way you say good bye on the phone.)

      I started laughing and told her the story. Because I was so amused
      about my own mistake she smiled a little bit.

      I turned around and left the shop still smiling and grateful to her
      that she had made me laugh.

      Doris

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Hi to all!
      >
      > I have two little stories to tell about smiles.
      >
      > My first story is for Nayak. Long ago, when I lived in Connecticut,
      > I sometimes parked in a particular city parking garage. The
      > attendant would take my ticket, punch it in a machine, and
      > grunt, "Thirty-five cents." (Shows how long ago *that* was!!!)
      > Anyway, the man would *never* smile! So it became my game: See if I
      > could coerce an innocent smile from him. An unwritten rule was that
      > I couldn't mention my object, nor could I tell jokes. Each time I
      > parked there, I would cheerfully offer up my fee and thank him,
      > beaming away, grinning, smiling from ear to ear, etc. Often, I
      > couldn't even make eye contact. I cannot recall that I was ever
      > successful in getting him to smile. But it was still a great game.
      >
      > I have kept the game of trying to get people to smile. It had been
      > while, but I was playing it the other night, in a crowd, giving
      > everyone my best, brightest smiles. Everytime someone smiled back,
      > I won!
      >
      > Niriha's story reminds me of another smile story, about a
      > wonderful smile I received from Sri Chinmoy. It was maybe 5
      > or so years ago, on my last day of August Celebrations. My
      > bags were packed and ready to go, and I was grabbing some
      > lunch in the park before leaving for the airport. In the
      > park, I heard that Guru had been blessing Jharna Kala art.
      > Since it was winding down, I would have to hurry. I forgot
      > about lunch and *ran* back to Aspiration-Ground, to be one of
      > the last people to approach Sri Chinmoy.
      >
      > As I approached, I was smiling widely, even breathlessly,
      > and with great happiness and relief. I was so thrilled that I had
      > not missed the opportunity to have a mug of mine blessed. In the
      lull,
      > Guru had started to turn his attention elsewhere. But when I
      > arrived before him, he turned, took one look at me, and burst into
      > huge smile as he tapped the mug with his hand!
      >
      > I make my husband a hot drink in that mug almost every morning. It
      > is fading from the dishwasher, and it has a chip out of it. But
      over
      > and over that mug makes me happy, reminding me of the smile that
      > came with it. Imagine, a mug that can bring so much joy!
      >
      > In oneness,
      > Sarah
    • piyasi29
      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2005
        The postings on the smile remind me of a story.
        Years ago, when Guru was asked how we bring more seekers to our
        centre, he said simply "Smile". He then elaborated a little,
        explaining how when we offer someone a sincere smile, they really
        receive something from us.
        Piyasi

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, beverly_canada

      • piyasi29
        Message 3 of 24 , May 1, 2005
          Does anyone remember one of Guru's writings entitled The Significance
          of a Smile? Does anyone know other books by Sri Chinmoy with passages
          or aphorisms on the smile? Please, could you tell me the title of the
          book?
          Piyasi
        • prashphutita
          Message 4 of 24 , May 1, 2005
            Great stories, Sushmitam! Thank-you for sharing them with all of us.
            It's a good reminder for me as well, since (sometimes) I don't always
            smile (Life gets too serious & all that kind of stuff).

            Prashphutita (Melbourne)

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sushmitam_r
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > The main meaning of my name is smile, so I take a particular
            > interest in this topic! I remember once at a function, one of
            > the people who regularly brings food or messages to Sri
            > Chinmoy came up on stage to deliver something to him. As
            > usual she came over to where he was sitting and quietly
            > placed something on the table next to him and began to slip
            > away. (Or perhaps "melt away" is a better way to describe the
            > kind of selfless, serving attitude of those that perform this
            > role.) Anyway, at that moment Guru interrupted what he was
            > doing and spoke to her, asking her to smile. I had not
            > noticed that she was not smiling - she was just going about
            > her tasks as usual. But when she responded to his request
            > immediately by smiling, it was as though the sun had burst
            > forth! Her smile made such a profound difference! I have
            > learned that whenever Sri Chinmoy comments on somebody in
            > public, or asks them to do something in public, that there is
            > a message for all of us who are listening. Watching this
            > incident I felt such a powerful impact from this person's
            > smile, and was able to see and feel how the Supreme's light
            > is spread through a smile.
            >
            > In fact on another occasion I remember Guru answered a
            > question from someone about how they should spread the
            > Supreme's light, by saying words to the effect of "When you
            > buy your bread in the morning, smile at the shopkeeper"!
            >
            > Once too, Sri Chinmoy told his Australian students that he
            > wanted us to be happy. Then he added, "If you are not happy,
            > FORCE yourself to be happy. Look in the mirror and smile."
            > I've tried it - it works!
            >
            > Happy smiling everyone
            > Sushmitam
          • carr_terri
            Message 5 of 24 , May 3, 2005
              Hi Piyasi,

              It just so happens that I am reading it now! It is a very enjoyable
              selection of questions and answers divided into topics like:

              A Childlike Heart, The Significance of a Smile, Gratitude and the
              Will of the Supreme. I was really enjoying it today.

              If you have a particular question about the book I would be happy to
              answer it if I can.

              Here is a short question and answer on the subject of joy.

              Question: How does joy help us?

              Sri Chinmoy: Every day, every hour, every minute, every second the
              seeker must know how to open the heart-door of the Supreme. He needs
              the key, and the name of this key is joy. When the seeker is happy,
              he not only has the key, but he is the key. The happier the seeker
              is, the easier it is for him to open up the heart-door of the
              Supreme. The key is most perfect when the seeker is the happiest of
              human beings.

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, piyasi29
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Does anyone remember one of Guru's writings entitled The
              Significance
              > of a Smile? Does anyone know other books by Sri Chinmoy with
              passages
              > or aphorisms on the smile? Please, could you tell me the title of
              the
              > book?
              > Piyasi
            • beverly_canada
              Message 6 of 24 , May 5, 2005
                Thank-you, Terri, for this quotation on joy - a key to God's heart door!
                Beverly

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri <
                no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Piyasi,
                >
                > It just so happens that I am reading it now! It is a very enjoyable
                > selection of questions and answers divided into topics like:
                >
                > A Childlike Heart, The Significance of a Smile, Gratitude and the
                > Will of the Supreme. I was really enjoying it today.
                >
                > If you have a particular question about the book I would be happy to
                > answer it if I can.
                >

                > Here is a short question and answer on the subject of joy.
                >

                > Question: How does joy help us?
                >
                > Sri Chinmoy: Every day, every hour, every minute, every second the
                > seeker must know how to open the heart-door of the Supreme. He needs
                > the key, and the name of this key is joy. When the seeker is happy,
                > he not only has the key, but he is the key. The happier the seeker
                > is, the easier it is for him to open up the heart-door of the
                > Supreme. The key is most perfect when the seeker is the happiest of
                > human beings.
                >

                > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, piyasi29
                > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > Does anyone remember one of Guru's writings entitled The
                > Significance
                > > of a Smile? Does anyone know other books by Sri Chinmoy with
                > passages
                > > or aphorisms on the smile? Please, could you tell me the title of
                > the
                > > book?
                > > Piyasi
              • sushmitam_r
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2005
                  Hi Piyasi
                  I keep a book of my favourite smile aphorisms and passages. There are lots scattered
                  through the 77000 Service Trees books (though that's probably not much help to
                  you!), quite a few in Daily Heart Blossoms Chapter 2 ("Earthly Happiness and Heavenly
                  Bliss", and a whole lot in a lovely little book called Fortune Philosophy.

                  Here's a few of my favourites-:

                  Our outer smile
                  is the giver of God as love.

                  The first duty of a God-seeker