SMILE: An inspired story

  • ckg827
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      When Guru began his weightlifting journey he began by lifting a 40 pound
      dumbell over his head with one hand. As he began increasing the weight he
      was in a range where many of the strong disciple boys could lift the weights
      that Guru was lifting (50, 60, 70 pounds). Of course, as we all know, Guru very
      soon reached weights that were way beyond what even the strongest boys
      could lift. In these early days of his weightlifting he would have joyous and fun
      competitions at Aspiration-Ground to see which boys could lift the weights that
      Guru was lifting and which were the strongest.
      One evening Guru had a competion with a 60 pound weight. I was one of the
      tallest boys in the Sri Chinmoy Center at that time, so I knew that the other
      disciples would expect me to do well in this competition. When it came to be
      my turn to lift the weight I felt very self conscious. I was worried about other's
      expectations of me and I was afraid that I would not do well. When I lifted the
      60 pound weight, with considerable difficulty I was only able lift the weight
      over my head once.
      A week later Guru had increased the weight that he was lifting to 70 pounds
      and he again had a competition to see which boys could lift this weight and
      which were the strongest. This time when I came up to try my turn at lifting the
      70 pound weight, Guru made a joke and I started laughing. As I lifted the 70
      pound weight I was smiling the whole time, thinking about Guru's joke and not
      the least bit of thought to the weight I was lifting. With relative ease I lifted the
      70 pound weight over my head 5 times, when I had only been able to lift the
      60 pound weight once. So this is the power of a smile!
      Guru's weightlifting is a physical manifestation of the power of spirituality and
      divine consciousness. What he achieves in the physical realm is a
      manifestation of what can be achieved in any aspect of life and in facing any
      challenges when we invoke a higher consciousness and a positive attitude of
      joy, love and faith in ourselves and in God. Truly the message of Sri
      Chinmoy is that we can achieve anything in any realm of endeavour when we
      invoke a divine presence, positive attitude and an inner and outer smile in our
      lives.
      With humility and gratitude,
      Amayik