Medini and Ruslana Perform, April 22, 2005

    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2005
      Medini and Ruslana, from Ukraine,
      perform Sri Chinmoy's melodies with love.
      But they are also consummate musicians.
      They perform on their folkloric instrument,
      a type of balalaika. It is our feeling
      that they are so good, they can perform
      in any world stage.
      Enjoy!

      To listen, please go to:
      http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/

      Joy to all!

      Kamalakanta Nieves
      May, 2005
      New York
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2005
        Thanks for including this performance on Radio Sri Chinmoy. If you're
        taking requests, I also really enjoyed the performance of the Ekti
        Bangalir song that same night by Medinee (and friends) on the
        Ukrainian Domra. It was a most powerful rendition of the song. It
        really stayed with me long afterwards. I wholeheartedly agree that
        this music is pefect for "any world stage" and am fascinated by these
        folk instruments that are mainly unknown in the U.S.

        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Medini and Ruslana, from Ukraine,
        > perform Sri Chinmoy's melodies with love.
        > But they are also consummate musicians.
        > They perform on their folkloric instrument,
        > a type of balalaika. It is our feeling
        > that they are so good, they can perform
        > in any world stage.
        > Enjoy!
        >
        > To listen, please go to:
        > http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/
        >
        > Joy to all!
        >
        > Kamalakanta Nieves
        > May, 2005
        > New York
      • peacephila
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2005
          What a wonderful balalaika performance by Medini! The trills of
          balalaika give me so much joy. I've been listening to this
          recording over and over again and I cannot get enough of it.
          She plays this instrument so well and with such feeling.
          Simply incredible...

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Medini and Ruslana, from Ukraine,
          > perform Sri Chinmoy's melodies with love.
          > But they are also consummate musicians.
          > They perform on their folkloric instrument,
          > a type of balalaika. It is our feeling
          > that they are so good, they can perform
          > in any world stage.
          > Enjoy!
          >
          > To listen, please go to:
          > http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/
          >
          > Joy to all!
          >
          > Kamalakanta Nieves
          > May, 2005
          > New York
        • peacephila
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2005
            Actually what Medini is playing is not balalaika. It is a similar
            instrument, but it has a different name but I cannot remember what it
            is, anybody?

            - Sandesh

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, peacephila

            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2005
              I happen to know it's the Ukrainian Domra because I was sitting next
              to someone during the performance who shared its name with me. Medinee
              (not Medini) is how her name is spelled incidently. Apparently the
              instrument is akin to a mandolin. It is one of the most fascinating
              instruments I have ever heard. I loved it!!! Medinee's voice was very
              haunting as well. I'll be first in line to sign up members of a fan
              club for her music. I'm so happy that Kamalakanta posted it, although
              greedy person that I am, I'm hoping to hear the Ekti Bangalir song
              performed by her (and friends) as well. :-)
              Sharani

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2005
                Sandesh, is it a Bandura?

                Kamalakanta

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Actually what Medini is playing is not balalaika. It is a similar
                > instrument, but it has a different name but I cannot remember what it
                > is, anybody?
                >
                > - Sandesh
                >
                > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, peacephila
                > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > What a wonderful balalaika performance by Medini! The trills of
                > > balalaika give me so much joy. I've been listening to this
                > > recording over and over again and I cannot get enough of it.
                > > She plays this instrument so well and with such feeling.
                > > Simply incredible...
                > >
                > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, kamalakanta47
                > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > > Medini and Ruslana, from Ukraine,
                > > > perform Sri Chinmoy's melodies with love.
                > > > But they are also consummate musicians.
                > > > They perform on their folkloric instrument,
                > > > a type of balalaika. It is our feeling
                > > > that they are so good, they can perform
                > > > in any world stage.
                > > > Enjoy!
                > > >
                > > > To listen, please go to:
                > > > http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/
                > > >
                > > > Joy to all!
                > > >
                > > > Kamalakanta Nieves
                > > > May, 2005
                > > > New York
              • archeemoffitt
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2005
                  Hi All,
                  Medinee (this is the spelling of her name)plays an instrument called
                  Domra. It is similiar to a mandolin. She is a supreme and soulful
                  musician and I am sure we will be graced more and more by her music.
                  Gratitude, Archee---

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 3, 2005
                    Sharani, do you remember the date of the Ekti Bangali song
                    performance? I will be glad to post it!

                    Kamalakanta

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2005
                      I have spoken to Medinee (not Medini), and the instrument she plays
                      is called a Domra. Shikhandini (previously known as Ruslana) plays the
                      Bandura.

                      Joy to all!

                      Kamalakanta Nieves
                      May 3rd, 2005
                      New York

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 4, 2005
                        Hi Kamalakanta,
                        Medinee's performance of the Ekti Bangalir song on domra was on Monday
                        night, April 18th. When I listened to the other performance of hers
                        that you already posted, I was certain it was from the same night when
                        many different performances of the Oneness-Dreamboat-Shore centres so
                        magnificently shared their talents with us.
                        thanks so much for your sleepless hard work and a belated thanks as
                        well to Oneness-Dreamboat-Shore for sharing their impressive talents
                        with us!