Health is Wealth

  • katec_nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 4:34 PM
      Recently Guru said that health is wealth. I was so encouraged by these
      words because lately I have been feeling in my own life the importance
      of being more fit and healthy in order to be a better seeker. I know
      that my physical can be a real aide in my spiritual quest and if
      neglected or abused can be a hindrance.

      Me and a few friends of mine have committed ourselves to four weeks of
      dedicated healthy eating, exercising and stretching. We are now over a
      week through our austerities and are noticing radical improvements.
      Interestingly what is most striking for me is not so much the way I am
      feeling physically, but my consciousness and spiritual state of being.
      Just by taking more care of the physical I am feeling happier,
      clearer, lighter and more inspired. Obviously these benefits are
      flowing over into my life of aspiration, and it feels great!

      In his own life Sri Chinmoy portrays his philosophy of physical
      fitness and self-transcendence with his rigorous exercise regime and
      his constant achievements in weightlifting. Here is something that
      Guru has spoken about the relationship between the body and the soul:

      In order to realise the Highest we have to have the body. But the body
      has to be made into a perfect instrument. It is like the piano and the
      pianist. Both of them are equally needed. If there is no piano, how
      can the player play? And again, if there is no pianist, who will play
      the instrument? So the soul needs the body and the body needs the
      soul. The soul needs the body because without the body it cannot
      fulfil its highest mission: God-manifestation on earth. The body needs
      the soul in order to realise the highest transcendental Truth.

      There is a collection of answers that Guru has given to questions
      regarding health in Politics and Spirituality. You can view them here:
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/

      Kate

      [Sorry Kate, that link may not work soon. But we hope that Aparajita
      will be able to gives us back the search on the Library soon]
    • carr_terri
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30 8:42 PM
        Hi Kate,

        I am not currently following any strict dietary regimen, but I have
        noticed that when I eat a diet low in processed foods, most
        especially sugar, that my mind is much more quiet AND my meditation
        capacity seems to improve tremendously! I have had this experience
        several times over the years and I am always amazed. Suddenly I
        notice that I am able to meditate more deeply, seemingly
        effortlessly! I think this knowledge could be of use to all the
        posters on this site (including me!) who say their mind wanders so
        much while singing and meditating :-)

        Unfortunately I have not persevered with dietary disciplines. In
        recent years, I often feel too busy to even think about following a
        new dietary program. But that is probably exactly the time when I
        need it most. It seems to take an enormous amount of concentration
        to change habits in a lasting way. I think I need to post notes
        everywhere to remind myself that healthier eating results in better
        meditation!

        Thanks for sharing your inspiration and good luck with your program.
        I am now inspired to try a more healthy eating plan with the hope of
        experiencing better meditations!

        Terri

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, katec_nz

      • shane_dublincentre
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          Hi all,

          I remember before I joined the path I was always really sensitive to
          what I ate, for example if I ate something high in sugar I would
          really feel the subsequent downer. I think back then my mentality
          definitely equated well-being with certain external events being just
          right - and food was certainly part of that.

          My time on the path has given me a certain level of inner stablility
          regardless of what is happening around me, but it has also led to a
          tendency to rebel against these former dependencies on external
          contingencies - the classic "yeah, give me that second slice of
          chocolate cake, sure it won't affect my inner achievement" syndrome.
          Of course, this is the pendulum swinging completely the other way, and
          it might be time to get the balance right...

          Shane

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri

        • piyasi29
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2005
            Katec, thank you for your story about health. So true, so true, what
            Guru says.

            For most of my life I've taken my health for granted. Although I
            mentally knew and believed what Guru says about its link with
            spiritual health, I didn't have a direct understanding of this.
            Until, that is, some years ago, when I developed a mysterious
            unidentified illness which gradually made me very weak indeed. This
            weakness was not only physical, as it made it impossible for me to
            think clearly or sustain any task. Worst of all, I felt as though I
            was losing my capacity to meditate and aspire properly.

            Eventually, I found a practitioner who identified my illness and
            helped me to recover. As I regained my strength and fitness, I
            realised at first hand the importance of good health in our spiritual
            life. Needless to say, I shall never take good health for granted
            again.

            [Piyasi]

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Recently Guru said that health is wealth. I was so encouraged by
            these
            > words because lately I have been feeling in my own life the
            importance
            > of being more fit and healthy in order to be a better seeker. I know
            > that my physical can be a real aide in my spiritual quest and if
            > neglected or abused can be a hindrance.
            >
            > Me and a few friends of mine have committed ourselves to four weeks
            of
            > dedicated healthy eating, exercising and stretching. We are now
            over a
            > week through our austerities and are noticing radical improvements.
            > Interestingly what is most striking for me is not so much the way I
            am
            > feeling physically, but my consciousness and spiritual state of
            being.
            > Just by taking more care of the physical I am feeling happier,
            > clearer, lighter and more inspired. Obviously these benefits are
            > flowing over into my life of aspiration, and it feels great!
            >
            > In his own life Sri Chinmoy portrays his philosophy of physical
            > fitness and self-transcendence with his rigorous exercise regime and
            > his constant achievements in weightlifting. Here is something that
            > Guru has spoken about the relationship between the body and the
            soul:

            > In order to realise the Highest we have to have the body. But the
            body
            > has to be made into a perfect instrument. It is like the piano and
            the
            > pianist. Both of them are equally needed. If there is no piano, how
            > can the player play? And again, if there is no pianist, who will
            play
            > the instrument? So the soul needs the body and the body needs the
            > soul. The soul needs the body because without the body it cannot
            > fulfil its highest mission: God-manifestation on earth. The body
            needs
            > the soul in order to realise the highest transcendental Truth.
            >
            > There is a collection of answers that Guru has given to questions
            > regarding health in Politics and Spirituality. You can view them
            here:
            > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/
            >
            > Kate
            >

            > [Sorry Kate, that link may not work soon. But we hope that Aparajita
            > will be able to gives us back the search on the Library soon]
          • jayita_2708
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2005
              Hi All,

              Yes, health and wellbeing is something that we certainly take for
              granted. I can certainly speak about that from personal experience.

              Quite a number of years ago, I was involved in an serious accident
              and injured my spine. Prior to that, I was fit, healthy and full of
              energy!! I had little conception of what it was like to suffer from
              a serious physical ailment and I thought being healthy was quite
              overrated!

              After the accident, everything changed.. From that moment on, I had
              to face an uphill battle trying to cope with life... dealing with
              the pain, suffering from frequent headaches and lacking the energy
              that most normal people. Even doing the basics like cooking and
              cleaning were all too much!

              I prayed to God on many occasions to help me and to make me
              understand how to deal with the situation. And then during the 12hr
              walk last year, I really felt my prayers were answered and a message
              being spoken "do you not know that I care infinitely more for you
              than you can ever imagine.. of course I know how much pain and
              suffering you go through. But understand that because I love you so
              much, there is no-one more than I who would like to see you happy
              and well".

              Anyway, after getting that message, I realised that God alone knows
              what we are going through and it is just a matter of faith and
              patience to know that things will eventually work out.. Perhaps
              there is things we need to learn, perhaps there is people or
              ourselves that we need to forgive, or perhaps we just need to see
              things in a new light!

              After the accident, I was very resentful to everyone and everything
              that related to it. But after so many years, I have come to the
              conclusion that you have to move from where you are today. For
              better or worse, you are in the situation you are in, and you cannot
              undo the past. All you can do is more forward and as positively as
              possible.

              Anyway since the 12hr walk, things have improved. I still suffer and
              find things challenging at times (like this week!), but I can deal
              with it better than I used to and my physical condition has improved
              thanks to the help of the medical practitioners that have come into
              my life by the grace of God.

              Here are a couple of inspiring quotes by Sri Chinmoy;
              "Life like a river, always wants to go forward"
              "Life is a golden opportunity. The sooner we realise it, the better"
              "This life is a golder opportunity given to us by the Supreme".
              "Live in the immediacy of today and grow into the Golden future"

              Harmony and love to you all,
              Jayita

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, piyasi29

            • parashita7
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2005
                I know what you all mean. These days when I see someone running, I
                wish I could run again! I've had achilles tendonitis for months. I
                recently returned to my Yoga class and it's helping immensely.
                Still, I need to build up stamina. I feel kind of funny standing in
                the prasad line with so many great athletes. Someone swam the English
                channel at least once, along with other incredible swims; others did
                the Ironman; and so many are doing our incredible races! Health is
                definitely wealth!

                -- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jayita_2708