Singing the Invocation

  • adesh_widmer
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
      It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
      Invocation everyday soulfully.

      Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I could
      sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
      actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.

      Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
      think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
      then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even worse,
      I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
      knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.

      Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then this.

      Never give up!

      Good luck to everybody
      Adesh - at present in China again!?!

      to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
      I'd like to have a new one.
      Greetings
      Adesh

      [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
      you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
      old login name.]
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
        Dear Adesh, for someone like me, who has a restless mind, one of the
        remedies is to sing it quickly. One of my neighbors in the house where
        I live was a talented musician, and he always prodded me for singing
        it too quickly. Lo and behold, that same year Sri Chinmoy played it
        many times in public, often much faster than I sang it. I felt vindicated.

        In oneness, Kamalakanta

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, adesh_widmer
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
        > Invocation everyday soulfully.
        >
        > Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I could
        > sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
        > actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.
        >
        > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
        > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
        > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even worse,
        > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
        > knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.
        >
        > Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then this.
        >
        > Never give up!
        >
        > Good luck to everybody
        > Adesh - at present in China again!?!
        >
        > to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
        > I'd like to have a new one.
        > Greetings
        > Adesh
        >

        > [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
        > you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
        > old login name.]
      • ttstp
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27, 2005
          I'm so relieved to know that I'm not alone in the challenge of singing
          the Invocation consciously & soulfully. Like you Adesh, I find myself
          saying the same thing: "this time I will be fully conscious and aware
          of what I am singing" and then God only knows what happens next. A
          rather grim reminder of just how far I have to go in my spiritual
          life. On the other hand, I know I have made some progress. Never give
          up indeed!

          Shirley

          -
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
          > Invocation everyday soulfully.
          >
          > Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I could
          > sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
          > actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.
          >
          > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
          > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
          > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even worse,
          > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
          > knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.
          >
          > Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then this.
          >
          > Never give up!
          >
          > Good luck to everybody
          > Adesh - at present in China again!?!
          >
          > to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
          > I'd like to have a new one.
          > Greetings
          > Adesh
          >

          > [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
          > you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
          > old login name.]
        • tirtha_di
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2005
            My experience is rather similar to Adesh's.

            Yet, I have to say, once singing the Invocation in a group,
            especially at a joyday or even better - in the presence of Guru,
            singing it together with him - the power and soulfulness are
            overwhealming! It must be the song we sing together the best in terms
            of oneness! You just have to feel the majesty of the soul of this
            Invocation!

            One of my best experiences however was, when last year I encountered
            an individual project of celebrating Sri Chinmoy's 40 years in the
            West with 40 achievements. One of the projects was singing the
            Invocation 40 times in a row. I sang along with a tape of Sri Chinmoy
            singing it. From 3.00 am until 6.30 am in the morning. The
            following day was somewhat "Heavenly" as you can imagine. I am sure I
            did not think too much of the words of the Invocation during these
            hours, but the whole atmosphere, the consciousness that was
            established, was extremely beautiful.

            Tirtha

            Who is deeply grateful for this experience!

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
            > Invocation everyday soulfully.
            >
            > Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I
            could
            > sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
            > actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.
            >
            > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
            > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
            > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even
            worse,
            > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
            > knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.
            >
            > Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then
            this.

            > Never give up!
            >
            > Good luck to everybody
            > Adesh - at present in China again!?!
            >
            > to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
            > I'd like to have a new one.
            > Greetings
            > Adesh
            >

            > [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
            > you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
            > old login name.]
          • doriscott20002000
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2005
              Dear Adesh,

              I do not only have a restless mind but also an unflexible one.

              I love singing the Invocation, for that is the moment I can directly
              call God, whoever or whatever he is. I can't wait for the moment to
              sing it.

              After a very long time it came to my mind that I don't have to 'wait'
              for twenty minutes to sing it. I can start with it!

              Of course there are times when I also feel like you. What inspires me
              most is Sri Chinmoy's advice to love his songs instead of thinking
              (as I sometimes do) oh, so many songs to learn, where to start, where
              to stop.

              I just try to love singing songs. And that is what I do then - I love
              singing songs, especially the Invocation.

              Doris

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
              > Invocation everyday soulfully.
              >
              > Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I
              could
              > sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
              > actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.
              >
              > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
              > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
              > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even
              worse,
              > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
              > knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.
              >
              > Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then
              this.

              > Never give up!
              >
              > Good luck to everybody
              > Adesh - at present in China again!?!
              >
              > to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
              > I'd like to have a new one.
              > Greetings
              > Adesh
              >

              > [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
              > you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
              > old login name.]
            • shane_dublincentre
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 28, 2005
                This summarises my experience down to a tee:

                > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
                > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
                > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even worse,
                > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
                > knows mundane things all the Invocation through.

                I'm thinking as I write this that perhaps its something to do with the
                fact that I always sing it first, the songs I sing afterwards are
                usually more soulful (in fact when I think of it, I'm not really
                warmed up till about four songs afterward)- maybe I'll experiment with
                a change of order.

                Shane

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
                > Invocation everyday soulfully.
                >
                > Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I could
                > sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
                > actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.
                >
                > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
                > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
                > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even worse,
                > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
                > knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.
                >
                > Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then this.
                >
                > Never give up!
                >
                > Good luck to everybody
                > Adesh - at present in China again!?!
                >
                > to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
                > I'd like to have a new one.
                > Greetings
                > Adesh
                >

                > [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
                > you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
                > old login name.]
              • Purnakama
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29, 2005
                  I am also relieved to hear that I am not the only one who suffers
                  from this consciousness dilemma in singing The Invocation. It seems
                  that the harder I try to concentrate, the more my mind wanders, but
                  I'm convinced that even though the mind is torturing us, the soul is
                  singing dynamically and soulfully.

                  I had an experience once in NY when I was a new student that made me
                  think that this dual action on the part of the mind and the soul was
                  possible.

                  Our center was going to sing 7 songs at one Celebrations, but before
                  we came to NY we were told that that was too long, and that we had
                  to shorten our performance to 3 songs. We dutifully did this, and then
                  the day
                  finally came that we could
                  perform.

                  We walked out onto Aspiration Ground (all 5 of us), and happily sang
                  our 3 songs. When we were finished, Guru said smiling, "Oi, why only
                  3 songs? Too short, too short. Sing 4 more, please."

                  We hadn't practiced four more songs because we were told not to, so
                  we all nervously looked at each other, not quite knowing what to do.
                  I quietly suggested that we sing My Lord Beloved Supreme which was a
                  fairly new song then.

                  I hummed a note, and then we just sang. I, as well as the other
                  singers were flustered and nervous,but somehow we made it through
                  the song. Of course the whole time we were singing, my mind was
                  racing with thoughts of doubt, and concern about making a mistake.
                  When we finished all I could think was how poorly we sang
                  singing so poorly.

                  But when we finished, Guru extolled us to the skies, saying that we
                  did not have to sing any more songs, because we had pleased him so
                  much with this song. He praised us for singing most most soulfully,
                  and said that he was happier than the happiest that we could sing
                  this most significant song most soulfully.

                  I was shocked. I could not fathom how we could have sung soulfully
                  with nerves on edge and mind's racing, but I decided that Guru
                  obviously knew something that we didn't, and gratefully and humbly
                  accepted his words.

                  I guess this rather long story just illustrates that at this point
                  in our evolution, the mind likes to operate independent of the
                  soul. I feel that even though our minds are riddled with thoughts,
                  if our heart has the right intention, it will always speak with the
                  soul in the inner worlds more loudly than the mind can speak in the
                  outer world.

                  I think the key is to always keep trying to be more conscious, but
                  to forgive ourselves if we miss the mark. Through this effort and
                  intention, one day we will reap the reward of having mind and soul
                  in perfect union.

                  Purnakama
                • kedarvideo
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29, 2005
                    Adesh brought up an imortant issue and I have to admit that I also
                    have a lot of difficulties to keep my mind quiet during meditation
                    and especially singing the invocation. But I can also admit that this
                    morning I was trying to be very disciplined and - wow! - I could
                    sing it through without any other thought. It is possible but you
                    need to be fully aware and conscious.

                    Kedar

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                    > It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
                    > Invocation everyday soulfully.
                    >
                    > Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I
                    could
                    > sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
                    > actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.
                    >
                    > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
                    > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
                    > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even
                    worse,
                    > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
                    > knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.
                    >
                    > Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then
                    this.

                    > Never give up!
                    >
                    > Good luck to everybody
                    > Adesh - at present in China again!?!
                    >
                    > to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
                    > I'd like to have a new one.
                    > Greetings
                    > Adesh
                    >

                    > [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
                    > you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
                    > old login name.]
                  • anubha2708
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
                      To Adesh and All Others who have posted about singing the Invocation,

                      I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude to you all. I have been
                      so inspired and encouraged by your postings this week.

                      Your postings have helped me on many occasions to become more
                      conscious of how much, much, much more soulful I can be singing this
                      sacred song.

                      This morning I sang the Invocation along with Sri Chinmoy on the
                      recording of "My Prayerful Salutations to the United Nations" CD
                      collection. I used to sing with this recording all the time as it is
                      my favourite but somehow I stopped doing it. It is so beautiful as
                      you can also hear also the disciples singing along too. Anyway my
                      heart was full of love for our Guru but also to all my worldwide
                      spiritual family for all the love and support I receive from you
                      everyday. Thank you thank you!

                      I have just put a note on my shrine to remind myself of the
                      importance of singing this song soulfully EVERYDAY! Is anyone aware
                      of any comments Sri Chinmoy may have written about the significance
                      of song?

                      With a heart of gratitude once again
                      Anubha, Australia
                      "Let is be our choice to make a world where everyone helps each
                      other". Sri Chinmoy
                    • tejal_light01
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2005
                        Hi Anuba

                        You reminded me of an excellent idea.
                        I will sing the Invocation together with Guru using the tape where
                        Guru sings and plays it in many different ways.

                        I especially adore the one with pipe organ - it is so powerful!!!

                        Tejal

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anubha2708
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > To Adesh and All Others who have posted about singing the
                        Invocation,

                        > I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude to you all. I have
                        been
                        > so inspired and encouraged by your postings this week.
                        >
                        > Your postings have helped me on many occasions to become more
                        > conscious of how much, much, much more soulful I can be singing
                        this
                        > sacred song.
                        >
                        > This morning I sang the Invocation along with Sri Chinmoy on the
                        > recording of "My Prayerful Salutations to the United Nations" CD
                        > collection. I used to sing with this recording all the time as it
                        is
                        > my favourite but somehow I stopped doing it. It is so beautiful as
                        > you can also hear also the disciples singing along too. Anyway my
                        > heart was full of love for our Guru but also to all my worldwide
                        > spiritual family for all the love and support I receive from you
                        > everyday. Thank you thank you!
                        >
                        > I have just put a note on my shrine to remind myself of the
                        > importance of singing this song soulfully EVERYDAY! Is anyone aware
                        > of any comments Sri Chinmoy may have written about the significance
                        > of song?
                        >
                        > With a heart of gratitude once again
                        > Anubha, Australia
                        > "Let is be our choice to make a world where everyone helps each
                        > other". Sri Chinmoy
                      • archeemoffitt
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2005
                          Dear Everyone,

                          At a Joy Day at Pulak's mothers house maybe 1 yr. ago or so
                          Sri Chinmoy did speak about the Invocation asking if there
                          was a recording of it with him singing and saying his
                          students could sing with it everyday. There is a tape with
                          only the Invocation on it repeated for the whole tape.
                          I sing with it every day.

                          Gratitude, Archee

                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > To Adesh and All Others who have posted about singing the
                          Invocation,

                          > I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude to you all. I have
                          been
                          > so inspired and encouraged by your postings this week.
                          >
                          > Your postings have helped me on many occasions to become more
                          > conscious of how much, much, much more soulful I can be singing
                          this
                          > sacred song.
                          >
                          > This morning I sang the Invocation along with Sri Chinmoy on the
                          > recording of "My Prayerful Salutations to the United Nations" CD
                          > collection. I used to sing with this recording all the time as it
                          is
                          > my favourite but somehow I stopped doing it. It is so beautiful as
                          > you can also hear also the disciples singing along too. Anyway my
                          > heart was full of love for our Guru but also to all my worldwide
                          > spiritual family for all the love and support I receive from you
                          > everyday. Thank you thank you!
                          >
                          > I have just put a note on my shrine to remind myself of the
                          > importance of singing this song soulfully EVERYDAY! Is anyone aware
                          > of any comments Sri Chinmoy may have written about the significance
                          > of song?
                          >
                          > With a heart of gratitude once again
                          > Anubha, Australia
                          > "Let is be our choice to make a world where everyone helps each
                          > other". Sri Chinmoy
                        • franmbc
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1, 2005
                            I like to think of it as follows:

                            The Invocation is a song which embodies and expresses a very, very
                            high level of consciousness.

                            Even though my attention inevitably wanders, I
                            get satisfaction from the feeling that each attempt does bring me
                            closer to the Goal, and I get joy from feeling that although I am
                            currently a beginner - just a "little aspirant" - I have been given
                            a "big aspirant's" excercise to practice every day. And we all
                            know that practice makes perfect!

                            It's a bit like a small child being given something which their
                            parent owns. They don't really know how to use it properly, but get
                            so much joy because it is a gift from the parent. Gradually, as they
                            grow up, they come to understand it better and use it properly,
                            until eventually they are all grown up and come to own it for
                            themselves. And of course it is the gift itself which has been
                            teaching them all this time and has made them into what they
                            eventually become.

                            So I guess what I'm saying is, that if we just keep sincerely trying
                            to sing the Invocation soulfully and perfectly, it will itself teach
                            us how to do that. It's just that we're currently still in training.

                            "Keep singing, keep singing,
                            God will soon be arriving."
                            [unofficial version]
                            (the words to one of Sri Chinmoy's songs)

                            Fran

                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                            > It is actually one of the greatest challenges for me to sing the
                            > Invocation everyday soulfully.
                            >
                            > Having sung it thousands of times, there is not one time where I
                            could
                            > sing it through, fully concentrating and being in the heart. It is
                            > actually everyday a new challenge - one of the hardest.
                            >
                            > Even just before I start I say to myself: Now this time you do not
                            > think of anything else! So perhaps the frist line I can manage, and
                            > then suddenly I find myself already in the fourth line. Or even
                            worse,
                            > I find myself singing the last line already having thought of God
                            > knows mundane things all the Invocation through. What a shame.
                            >
                            > Perhaps there are more experiences, hopefully more advanced then
                            this.

                            > Never give up!
                            >
                            > Good luck to everybody
                            > Adesh - at present in China again!?!
                            >
                            > to the moderator: Can I change my identification somehow?
                            > I'd like to have a new one.
                            > Greetings
                            > Adesh
                            >

                            > [Yes, Adesh, you can have a new login name. Just follow the process
                            > you did the very first time. There is no facility to just rename an
                            > old login name.]
                          • niriha7
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 1, 2005
                              Hi Tejal, Do you know the title of the tape (CD) that you referred to
                              regarding the different versions of the Invocation?

                              Will you run the 3100 this year? Speaking of smiles - you often had
                              a remarkable smile during that race. Niriha

                              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, tejal_light01
                              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > Hi Anuba
                              >
                              > You reminded me of an excellent idea.
                              > I will sing the Invocation together with Guru using the tape where
                              > Guru sings and plays it in many different ways.
                              >
                              > I especially adore the one with pipe organ - it is so powerful!!!
                              >
                              > Tejal
                              >

                              > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anubha2708
                              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > > To Adesh and All Others who have posted about singing the
                              > Invocation,
                              > >
                              > > I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude to you all. I have
                              > been
                              > > so inspired and encouraged by your postings this week.
                              > >
                              > > Your postings have helped me on many occasions to become more
                              > > conscious of how much, much, much more soulful I can be singing
                              > this
                              > > sacred song.
                              > >
                              > > This morning I sang the Invocation along with Sri Chinmoy on the
                              > > recording of "My Prayerful Salutations to the United Nations" CD
                              > > collection. I used to sing with this recording all the time as it
                              > is
                              > > my favourite but somehow I stopped doing it. It is so beautiful
                              as
                              > > you can also hear also the disciples singing along too. Anyway
                              my
                              > > heart was full of love for our Guru but also to all my worldwide
                              > > spiritual family for all the love and support I receive from you
                              > > everyday. Thank you thank you!
                              > >
                              > > I have just put a note on my shrine to remind myself of the
                              > > importance of singing this song soulfully EVERYDAY! Is anyone
                              aware
                              > > of any comments Sri Chinmoy may have written about the
                              significance
                              > > of song?
                              > >
                              > > With a heart of gratitude once again
                              > > Anubha, Australia
                              > > "Let is be our choice to make a world where everyone helps each
                              > > other". Sri Chinmoy
                            • tejal_light01
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 6, 2005
                                Hi Niriha

                                I am very sorry about long delay :(
                                The title of the tape is simply "The Invocation"

                                Thank you about my smile. It seams that only during ultraraces (10
                                day race 2003) it appears - it is so misterious :).

                                Nowdays I have had interesting experiences with smiles, seeing my
                                smile how it mirrors itself in the other person making me smalling
                                even more.

                                3,100 is a too long for me at the moment (my longest is 10 day race).
                                I hope to come for the ultra-trio in September for the first time
                                but there are lots of things to happen in between.......

                                Thank you Niriha

                                Tejal

                                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7