SMILE

  • nayaknayaknayak
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 24, 2005
      I was walking along looking for a smile. A smile is really something.
      Sri Chinmoy says, "God's greatest treasure is man's smile." God has a
      lot of treasures, so a smile must really be something to come out on top.

      I wasn't seeing any smiles on the people who passed me, and that
      bothered me. I was really hungry for a smile, and there was no smile
      coming. "God, what kind of universe are you running?" That is what I
      thought. Then, I smiled! That was great. There was the smile I needed.

      Guru has said that everyone and everything will disappoint us except
      God. So, my disappointment turned to joy when God put a smile on my face.

      I can never hear enough about smiles. If anyone has anything to say
      about smiles, I am all ears. Once I was standing behind Sri Chinmoy
      when people were coming up in front of him to take Prasad, which is
      food that he has blessed and is offering to us. The people came up,
      and when they were smiling it was so nice, and when they were not
      smiling it was like a black spot on a beautiful picture. It was
      shocking how the occasional unsmiling face could pull me down. Those
      people forgot to give their treasure. Sri Chinmoy has commented about
      how the unsmiling faces affects him, and now I, standing behind him,
      could see it so clearly.

      A smile is so easy. Even a little dog will smile if you show any sign
      that you are interested in petting it. God, since you have given me a
      life, I beg of you to give me the capacity to put a smile on that life.

      Even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it turns into a sincere
      smile, because the smiling intention behind the insincere smile
      gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile becomes real. Did
      you follow that? OK!

      Yours,

      Nayak
    • ed_silverton
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 25, 2005
        Hi Nayak

        Do you know the quote,

        'Nature smiles through flowers'?

        Although I love it, I can't remember who originated it.
        Suggestions welcomed.

        The reason I mention it is because flowers always make me smile, if
        not outwardly, then at least inwardly. And the ones that make me
        smile and indeed laugh the hardest are the tiny little ones that
        poke through the cracks in the street. They're usually really
        vibrant and although small, have a kind of defiant air proclaiming
        nature's goodness and victory over concrete.

        I usually only notice them when I'm moping along worrying about
        stuff, with my gaze in the gutter and my consciousness not much
        higher! Then they work their magic.

        On the subject of smiling, my all-time favourite poem by Sri Chinmoy
        is :

        'Do you want to know
        Something incredible
        But absolutely true?

        The heart of the Universe
        Is your soulful smile.'*

        All the best,
        Ed

        * This poem is reproduced in Sri Chinmoy's book,
        'Garden of the Soul'.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nayaknayaknayak
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > I was walking along looking for a smile. A smile is really
        something.
        > Sri Chinmoy says, "God's greatest treasure is man's smile." God
        has a
        > lot of treasures, so a smile must really be something to come out
        on top.

        > I wasn't seeing any smiles on the people who passed me, and that
        > bothered me. I was really hungry for a smile, and there was no
        smile
        > coming. "God, what kind of universe are you running?" That is what
        > thought. Then, I smiled! That was great. There was the smile I
        needed.

        > Guru has said that everyone and everything will disappoint us
        except
        > God. So, my disappointment turned to joy when God put a smile on
        my face.

        > I can never hear enough about smiles. If anyone has anything to say
        > about smiles, I am all ears. Once I was standing behind Sri Chinmoy
        > when people were coming up in front of him to take Prasad, which is
        > food that he has blessed and is offering to us. The people came up,
        > and when they were smiling it was so nice, and when they were not
        > smiling it was like a black spot on a beautiful picture. It was
        > shocking how the occasional unsmiling face could pull me down.
        Those
        > people forgot to give their treasure. Sri Chinmoy has commented
        about
        > how the unsmiling faces affects him, and now I, standing behind
        him,
        > could see it so clearly.
        >
        > A smile is so easy. Even a little dog will smile if you show any
        sign
        > that you are interested in petting it. God, since you have given
        me a
        > life, I beg of you to give me the capacity to put a smile on that
        life.

        > Even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it turns into a
        sincere
        > smile, because the smiling intention behind the insincere smile
        > gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile becomes real.
        Did
        > you follow that? OK!
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Nayak
      • dchaudhurani
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 25, 2005
          In New York this April Guru asked us to smile as we passed him when
          we had a walkpast meditation. (We all walk slowly past him as he is
          meditating.) He asked us to smile.

          I wish I could remember exactly what he said about the importance of
          our smiles. I think he was joking that those who smiled were angels
          while thosw who did not smile were 'culprits' but I may have
          this 'title' wrong. It was very funy and inspiring. I think that Guru
          said that we give him something when we smile. I think I have also
          heard him say on other occasions in the past, that when we smile we
          are more receptive to the blessings which he offers us constantly.
          Certainly I feel more receptive when I smile.

          If anyone remembers precisely what Guru said about smiles, please let
          us know.

          My second comment about smiles comes from my mother. I was able to
          take her to New York for a few days in 2002 or 2003 and it was a very
          significant event for me. On the way she said worriedly that she
          hoped I would not be disappointed. She is a Quaker, absolutely
          devoted to the spiritual life in her own way but she tends to be in
          the mind. She criticises me for spending so much time and energy in
          getting to see Guru as from her perspective all we need to do is (in
          the words of George Fox who started the Quaker movement)to 'Walk
          cheerfully over the earth, answering that of God in all.' She was
          afraid that she would not like her experience in New York and I would
          be disappointed.
          I said that I would not be disappointed because she had agreed to
          come. Just to be going to New York with her was everything for me.

          We had a wonderful time and on our way home on the plane it was as
          though a dam had burst. I was telling my mother endless stories
          relating to my spiritual life which I have never been able to share
          with her before. Some of them were so 'unbelievable' that I would be
          unlikely to share them with seasoned disciples so it was not
          surprising that after some time she asked me hesitantly if I might
          not be 'reading too much' into some events I had mentioned.

          I said that someone might come up to me here in the plane and ask why
          I was talking so much to this woman. What made me think she was
          really my mother. What made me think she really loved me. Might I not
          be 'reading too much' into our relationship? I would answer such a
          person by saying that I go by my experience. I've known my mother for
          so many years and had so many experiences over the years which
          support my faith in the fact that I am her daughter and her love for
          me is genuine - that I wouldn't question the truth of it. It's the
          same with Guru. When I first met him I knew nothing but I felt
          something very deep. Since that time my relationship with him has
          grown over the years so now I just know that he is working in my life
          in millions of secret ways. It is not 'blind faith' but a living
          dynamic, a truth which constantly grows and expands in beauty and
          wondrousness.

          My mother was silent for a while and then she said softly, 'When I
          passed by him in the walkpast meditation he gave me an extra-
          ordinarily beautiful smile.

          Back in England, many hours later I drove my mother home. I slept
          beside her in my father's bed, and in the darkness, as we were going
          to sleep, my mother said suddenly, 'Bless you for taking me. Bless
          you for taking me.'

          It was one of the happiest and most moving moments of my life. I am
          so grateful to Guru for all his blessings but especially for blessing
          my mother with his 'sunburst smile.'

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 25, 2005
            The following passage about smiling from Sri Chinmoy's essay
            entitled "Struggle" in the book "Everest Aspiration" sits on my desk
            at home. Nayak's introduction of this topic offers a perfect excuse
            to share it now:

            [unofficial version]
            "As seekers you have to offer your smile through spontaneous action,
            for spontaneous action itself is the smile. So only grow in that
            smile. Act like a child: be spontaneous in everything that you do
            and say. Inside that spontaneity you will see your smile, and inside
            the smile you will see your spontaneity. Your smile and God's
            Smile are keeping each other alive. And they will do so throughout
            Eternity. What God and man need from each other is a soulful smile,
            a fruitful smile. Inside that tiny seed of a smile the entire cosmic
            Life-Tree exists."
            -Sri Chinmoy

            The idea that the "entire cosmic Life-Tree exists" inside a shared
            smile between God and man is fascinating, provocative and somewhat
            fathomless, is it not? Yet indeed this concept echoes throughout Sri
            Chinmoy's writings and is a far cry from the "mea culpa" perspective
            more commonly found in Christianity.

            Sharani

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ed_silverton
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Those
            > > people forgot to give their treasure. Sri Chinmoy has commented
            > about
            > > how the unsmiling faces affects him, and now I, standing behind
            > him,
            > > could see it so clearly.
            > >
            > > A smile is so easy. Even a little dog will smile if you show any
            > sign
            > > that you are interested in petting it. God, since you have given
            > me a
            > > life, I beg of you to give me the capacity to put a smile on
            that
            > life.
            > >
            > > Even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it turns into a
            > sincere
            > > smile, because the smiling intention behind the insincere smile
            > > gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile becomes

          • nayaknayaknayak
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 26, 2005
              Hi, Ed,

              Flowers do have the biggest smiles, and trees also have very nice
              smiles, and rocks have a nice little smile, too. Thank you for the
              smiling response.

              Concerning smiles, I was smiling and smiling yesterday as I was
              meeting the public over the period of two hours for a particular
              activity. At first I had to crank up my insides to get the smile out,
              but, after a while, the smile was so much fun, and so many people were
              smiling back, that the smile refused to go away, except when it turned
              into a laugh.

              Be well, Ed and the rest of the universe,

              Yours,

              Nayak

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > shocking how the occasional unsmiling face could pull me down.
              > Those
              > > people forgot to give their treasure. Sri Chinmoy has commented
              > about
              > > how the unsmiling faces affects him, and now I, standing behind
              > him,
              > > could see it so clearly.
              > >
              > > A smile is so easy. Even a little dog will smile if you show any
              > sign
              > > that you are interested in petting it. God, since you have given
              > me a
              > > life, I beg of you to give me the capacity to put a smile on that
              > life.
              > >
              > > Even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it turns into a
              > sincere
              > > smile, because the smiling intention behind the insincere smile
              > > gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile becomes real.

            • gasper_o13
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 26, 2005
                Hi Nayak,
                I was very inspired by your message about the smile. It definitely
                brought a smile on my face.
                The following part (even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it
                turns into a sincere smile, because the smiling intention behind the
                insincere smile gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile
                becomes real.)
                From which book is it? Or is it your own invention?

                heart greetings
                gasper

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > I was walking along looking for a smile. A smile is really something.
                > Sri Chinmoy says, "God's greatest treasure is man's smile." God has a
                > lot of treasures, so a smile must really be something to come out on
                top.

                > I wasn't seeing any smiles on the people who passed me, and that
                > bothered me. I was really hungry for a smile, and there was no smile
                > coming. "God, what kind of universe are you running?" That is what I
                > thought. Then, I smiled! That was great. There was the smile I needed.
                >
                > Guru has said that everyone and everything will disappoint us except
                > God. So, my disappointment turned to joy when God put a smile on my
                face.

                > I can never hear enough about smiles. If anyone has anything to say
                > about smiles, I am all ears. Once I was standing behind Sri Chinmoy
                > when people were coming up in front of him to take Prasad, which is
                > food that he has blessed and is offering to us. The people came up,
                > and when they were smiling it was so nice, and when they were not
                > smiling it was like a black spot on a beautiful picture. It was
                > shocking how the occasional unsmiling face could pull me down. Those
                > people forgot to give their treasure. Sri Chinmoy has commented about
                > how the unsmiling faces affects him, and now I, standing behind him,
                > could see it so clearly.
                >
                > A smile is so easy. Even a little dog will smile if you show any sign
                > that you are interested in petting it. God, since you have given me a
                > life, I beg of you to give me the capacity to put a smile on that life.
                >
                > Even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it turns into a sincere
                > smile, because the smiling intention behind the insincere smile
                > gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile becomes real. Did
                > you follow that? OK!
                >
                > Yours,
                >
                > Nayak
              • pramodan7
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 27, 2005
                  I was once present when Guru mentioned something about our smile.
                  It was while giving out Prasad (blessed food).

                  It brought back to me how important it is to give a smile. When I am
                  in my "thinking world" I never give a smile. For that I have to be in
                  my flower-heart and that is definitely the better place to stay.

                  Happy smiles,
                  Pramodan from Dortmund, Germany

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dchaudhurani
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > shocking how the occasional unsmiling face could pull me down.
                  Those
                  > > people forgot to give their treasure. Sri Chinmoy has commented
                  > about
                  > > how the unsmiling faces affects him, and now I, standing behind
                  him,
                  > > could see it so clearly.
                  > >
                  > > A smile is so easy. Even a little dog will smile if you show any
                  > sign
                  > > that you are interested in petting it. God, since you have given
                  me
                  > > life, I beg of you to give me the capacity to put a smile on that
                  > life.
                  > >
                  > > Even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it turns into a
                  sincere
                  > > smile, because the smiling intention behind the insincere smile
                  > > gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile becomes real.

                • doriscott20002000
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 28, 2005
                    Sometimes it is difficult to smile, just call Pramodan, after a while
                    you are smiling automatically. When he talks he is spreading so much
                    joy that you can't resist smiling.

                    Doris

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, pramodan7

                  • adesh_widmer
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 28, 2005
                      When I am with company I do not feel difficult to smile - sometimes
                      the smile even turns into a laugh which may even be misplaced
                      depending on the incident. Anyway, I am challenging myself to smile
                      even while being alone - at work or practicing the Sitar. It seems the
                      most difficult moments still to smile is when concentrating hard on
                      something - working or playing music etc. I even wish I could smile
                      during sleep, but here I mostly find myself with totally relaxed face
                      - muscles, what rather makes me look like either retarded or half dead.

                      Writing this made me laugh. I'm all alone in a Hotel somewhere in a
                      remote city in China - buying new items for Madal Bal - and practicing
                      to smile. From the extremely nice Chinese people I mostly receive very
                      sweet smiles in return.

                      Nihau.
                      Adesh

                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                      > > > shocking how the occasional unsmiling face could pull me down.
                      > Those
                      > > > people forgot to give their treasure. Sri Chinmoy has commented
                      > > about
                      > > > how the unsmiling faces affects him, and now I, standing behind
                      > him,
                      > > > could see it so clearly.
                      > > >
                      > > > A smile is so easy. Even a little dog will smile if you show any
                      > > sign
                      > > > that you are interested in petting it. God, since you have given
                      > me
                      > > > life, I beg of you to give me the capacity to put a smile on that
                      > > life.
                      > > >
                      > > > Even if you smile insincerely, quite quickly it turns into a
                      > sincere
                      > > > smile, because the smiling intention behind the insincere smile
                      > > > gradually infuses the fake smile and the fake smile becomes real.

                    • niriha7
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 28, 2005
                        Hi Adesh, I did not have the understanding that Sri Chinmoy meant for
                        us to smile at every moment. Is it really necessary to smile when
                        trying to concentrate on something? We all know how important smiles
                        are in our day to day lives but for myself, I do not feel that I have
                        to form a habit of smiling.

                        My impression is that by offering a smile to Guru when in his
                        presence, we increase our receptivity and feelings of closeness with
                        him. In addition, we offer something of ourselves to him and our
                        smile becomes a gift that we have given. Considering how Guru does
                        absolutely everything possible to makes us happy, it does seem that
                        at least we can offer a smile in return.

                        When reading the messages about smiles, I remembered an incident that
                        took place when I arrived at Aspiration Ground just as prasad was
                        being given. I was so delighted that I had not missed the
                        opportunity to recieve prasad that I smiled with delight. I actually
                        felt like a kid when running up to where Guru was sitting. As I got
                        nearer, I ditched the smile and donned a "soulful expression". Just
                        as I was taking prasad, Guru said in a powerful voice, "Niriha, you
                        approached me with such a beautiful and radiant smile. Now you are
                        all seriousness. I do not like serious people!!!"

                        I laughed and laughed. Niriha

                        PS You will receive many of your family's plays soon.

                        [Thank you, Niriha. That is a beautiful memory you offered us!]

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, adesh_widmer

                      • beverly_canada
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 28, 2005
                          Dear Niriha

                          The person I saw on Aspiration Ground with a big blue flowered hat videoing*
                          the World Harmony Run singers and musicians had a wonderful smile.
                          Smiling while concentrating looks natural in your case.

                          The following aphorism by Sri Chinmoy may be apt for one who records
                          through oneness-smiling eyes:

                          I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE

                          I love, I love, I love.
                          I love the silver process of seeing.
                          I love the golden progress of the seen.
                          I love the diamond fulness of the Seer.

                          - Sri Chinmoy
                          From "I Am Ready", No. 18.
                          [unofficial]

                          Providence did not bring us together this Celebration. Strangely, the front
                          came off my name tag twice. Perhaps August will offer the opportunity.

                          Beverly

                          * Yes, it is a dangling modifier, 'a big blue flowered hat videoing'. The image
                          is funny, so if I may be excused, I've left it unedited for reader enjoyment. - B.
                          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7 <no_reply@y...>

                        • sushmitam_r
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 29, 2005
                            The main meaning of my name is smile, so I take a particular
                            interest in this topic! I remember once at a function, one of
                            the people who regularly brings food or messages to Sri
                            Chinmoy came up on stage to deliver something to him. As
                            usual she came over to where he was sitting and quietly
                            placed something on the table next to him and began to slip
                            away. (Or perhaps "melt away" is a better way to describe the
                            kind of selfless, serving attitude of those that perform this
                            role.) Anyway, at that moment Guru interrupted what he was
                            doing and spoke to her, asking her to smile. I had not
                            noticed that she was not smiling - she was just going about
                            her tasks as usual. But when she responded to his request
                            immediately by smiling, it was as though the sun had burst
                            forth! Her smile made such a profound difference! I have
                            learned that whenever Sri Chinmoy comments on somebody in
                            public, or asks them to do something in public, that there is
                            a message for all of us who are listening. Watching this
                            incident I felt such a powerful impact from this person's
                            smile, and was able to see and feel how the Supreme's light
                            is spread through a smile.

                            In fact on another occasion I remember Guru answered a
                            question from someone about how they should spread the
                            Supreme's light, by saying words to the effect of "When you
                            buy your bread in the morning, smile at the shopkeeper"!

                            Once too, Sri Chinmoy told his Australian students that he
                            wanted us to be happy. Then he added, "If you are not happy,
                            FORCE yourself to be happy. Look in the mirror and smile."
                            I've tried it - it works!

                            Happy smiling everyone
                            Sushmitam
                          • snehashila2
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 29, 2005
                              Great you are back on this great site.....dear Niriha!

                              Now about Smiling...
                              When I was about 11 years old I clearly remember a neighbor-friend who I was walking
                              home from school with saying, "Why are you always smiling? I've never seen you without a
                              smile. It can't be for real. How come you only smile?" I answered him that I was happy
                              and I didn't even realize that there was a perpetual smile on my face. This short
                              conversation never left me. It was almost as if the Supreme was telling me that He wanted
                              me *only* to smile. When I came on the path, I found out that this was the one thing that
                              Sri Chinmoy encourages. Of course, if we are smiling, it does spread light and makes
                              everyone's consciousness fly. When things are difficult, I try to keep smiling...and it's easy
                              to do when I remember:
                              Be happy, Be Happy, Your happiness is your strength - Sri Chinmoy
                              For some unknown reason this kicks in whenever I am tempted to feel sad, sorry or
                              frightened.

                              So SMILE everyone....
                              True affection and true smiles,
                              Snehashila

                            • sarah_inseattle
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 29, 2005
                                Hi to all!

                                I have two little stories to tell about smiles.

                                My first story is for Nayak. Long ago, when I lived in Connecticut,
                                I sometimes parked in a particular city parking garage. The
                                attendant would take my ticket, punch it in a machine, and
                                grunt, "Thirty-five cents." (Shows how long ago *that* was!!!)
                                Anyway, the man would *never* smile! So it became my game: See if I
                                could coerce an innocent smile from him. An unwritten rule was that
                                I couldn't mention my object, nor could I tell jokes. Each time I
                                parked there, I would cheerfully offer up my fee and thank him,
                                beaming away, grinning, smiling from ear to ear, etc. Often, I
                                couldn't even make eye contact. I cannot recall that I was ever
                                successful in getting him to smile. But it was still a great game.

                                I have kept the game of trying to get people to smile. It had been a
                                while, but I was playing it the other night, in a crowd, giving
                                everyone my best, brightest smiles. Everytime someone smiled back,
                                I won!

                                Niriha's story reminds me of another smile story, about a
                                wonderful smile I received from Sri Chinmoy. It was maybe 5
                                or so years ago, on my last day of August Celebrations. My
                                bags were packed and ready to go, and I was grabbing some
                                lunch in the park before leaving for the airport. In the
                                park, I heard that Guru had been blessing Jharna Kala art.
                                Since it was winding down, I would have to hurry. I forgot
                                about lunch and *ran* back to Aspiration-Ground, to be one of
                                the last people to approach Sri Chinmoy.

                                As I approached, I was smiling widely, even breathlessly,
                                and with great happiness and relief. I was so thrilled that I had
                                not missed the opportunity to have a mug of mine blessed. In the lull,
                                Guru had started to turn his attention elsewhere. But when I
                                arrived before him, he turned, took one look at me, and burst into a
                                huge smile as he tapped the mug with his hand!

                                I make my husband a hot drink in that mug almost every morning. It
                                is fading from the dishwasher, and it has a chip out of it. But over
                                and over that mug makes me happy, reminding me of the smile that
                                came with it. Imagine, a mug that can bring so much joy!

                                In oneness,
                                Sarah
                              • beverly_canada
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 29, 2005
                                  Dear Sarah
                                  Thank-you for the stories. That you are serving your family with this blessed
                                  mug, rather than secreting it away, untouchable, as an icon, adds to the
                                  value of your story to me. In it I see a down to earth demonstration of an aim
                                  of our spiritual path - to spread the joy and light we receive. "Anything worth
                                  having is worth sharing as well"*. A chip out of a mug can look like a smile -
                                  can it not with such a memory? The smiles Jake must get in the morning.
                                  Beverly
                                  *message 12115

                                  The Most Special Love

                                  Do you know when I get
                                  The most special Love from God?
                                  Not when I have a fearful heart,
                                  Not when I have tearful eyes,
                                  But when I have a self-giving heart
                                  And two smiling eyes.

                                  - Sri Chinmoy

                                  From "Ten Thousand Flower-Flames", No. 9271.

                                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle <
                                  no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                  > Hi to all!
                                  >
                                  > I have two little stories to tell about smiles.
                                  >
                                  > My first story is for Nayak. Long ago, when I lived in Connecticut,
                                  > I sometimes parked in a particular city parking garage. The
                                  > attendant would take my ticket, punch it in a machine, and
                                  > grunt, "Thirty-five cents." (Shows how long ago *that* was!!!)
                                  > Anyway, the man would *never* smile! So it became my game: See if I
                                  > could coerce an innocent smile from him. An unwritten rule was that
                                  > I couldn't mention my object, nor could I tell jokes. Each time I
                                  > parked there, I would cheerfully offer up my fee and thank him,
                                  > beaming away, grinning, smiling from ear to ear, etc. Often, I
                                  > couldn't even make eye contact. I cannot recall that I was ever
                                  > successful in getting him to smile. But it was still a great game.
                                  >
                                  > I have kept the game of trying to get people to smile. It had been a
                                  > while, but I was playing it the other night, in a crowd, giving
                                  > everyone my best, brightest smiles. Everytime someone smiled back,
                                  > I won!
                                  >
                                  > Niriha's story reminds me of another smile story, about a
                                  > wonderful smile I received from Sri Chinmoy. It was maybe 5
                                  > or so years ago, on my last day of August Celebrations. My
                                  > bags were packed and ready to go, and I was grabbing some
                                  > lunch in the park before leaving for the airport. In the
                                  > park, I heard that Guru had been blessing Jharna Kala art.
                                  > Since it was winding down, I would have to hurry. I forgot
                                  > about lunch and *ran* back to Aspiration-Ground, to be one of
                                  > the last people to approach Sri Chinmoy.
                                  >
                                  > As I approached, I was smiling widely, even breathlessly,
                                  > and with great happiness and relief. I was so thrilled that I had
                                  > not missed the opportunity to have a mug of mine blessed. In the lull,
                                  > Guru had started to turn his attention elsewhere. But when I
                                  > arrived before him, he turned, took one look at me, and burst into a
                                  > huge smile as he tapped the mug with his hand!
                                  >
                                  > I make my husband a hot drink in that mug almost every morning. It
                                  > is fading from the dishwasher, and it has a chip out of it. But over
                                  > and over that mug makes me happy, reminding me of the smile that
                                  > came with it. Imagine, a mug that can bring so much joy!
                                  >
                                  > In oneness,
                                  > Sarah
                                • sarah_inseattle
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 30, 2005
                                    Hi Beverly!

                                    Now I have to run upsatirs and take another look at that chip!

                                    What a lovely idea, that it might look like a smile :-)

                                    Gratitude,
                                    Sarah
                                    Seattle

                                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, beverly_canada

                                  • tejal_light01
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 1, 2005
                                      Hi Snehashila

                                      I am one of those that admire your cheerfulness and you incredible
                                      smile.
                                      I and my mother were fortunate to meet you during August celebration
                                      2002 to see your smile.
                                      She came also with one younger disciple - medical doctor, Guru lifted
                                      her together with other disciples doctors. Now, this lady is in
                                      heaven.

                                      I wish this world to have many more smiling people like you.

                                      Tejal, Macedonia

                                      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, snehashila2

                                    • doriscott20002000
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 1, 2005
                                        I too have a smile story to tell you.

                                        A few days ago I went into a supermarket to bye some food. The
                                        saleslady looked very serious and she was dressed as she was
                                        planning to go to a party.

                                        After I paid for my food she mechanically but friendly said 'have a
                                        nice evening'. I looked surprised. She apologized, corrected
                                        herself, still very serious saying: "Ah, have a nice day."

                                        I was reminded of an incident, where it was my turn to say 'good
                                        bye' but instead of saying that I said 'Auf Wiederhören.' (That's
                                        the way you say good bye on the phone.)

                                        I started laughing and told her the story. Because I was so amused
                                        about my own mistake she smiled a little bit.

                                        I turned around and left the shop still smiling and grateful to her
                                        that she had made me laugh.

                                        Doris

                                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                        > Hi to all!
                                        >
                                        > I have two little stories to tell about smiles.
                                        >
                                        > My first story is for Nayak. Long ago, when I lived in Connecticut,
                                        > I sometimes parked in a particular city parking garage. The
                                        > attendant would take my ticket, punch it in a machine, and
                                        > grunt, "Thirty-five cents." (Shows how long ago *that* was!!!)
                                        > Anyway, the man would *never* smile! So it became my game: See if I
                                        > could coerce an innocent smile from him. An unwritten rule was that
                                        > I couldn't mention my object, nor could I tell jokes. Each time I
                                        > parked there, I would cheerfully offer up my fee and thank him,
                                        > beaming away, grinning, smiling from ear to ear, etc. Often, I
                                        > couldn't even make eye contact. I cannot recall that I was ever
                                        > successful in getting him to smile. But it was still a great game.
                                        >
                                        > I have kept the game of trying to get people to smile. It had been
                                        > while, but I was playing it the other night, in a crowd, giving
                                        > everyone my best, brightest smiles. Everytime someone smiled back,
                                        > I won!
                                        >
                                        > Niriha's story reminds me of another smile story, about a
                                        > wonderful smile I received from Sri Chinmoy. It was maybe 5
                                        > or so years ago, on my last day of August Celebrations. My
                                        > bags were packed and ready to go, and I was grabbing some
                                        > lunch in the park before leaving for the airport. In the
                                        > park, I heard that Guru had been blessing Jharna Kala art.
                                        > Since it was winding down, I would have to hurry. I forgot
                                        > about lunch and *ran* back to Aspiration-Ground, to be one of
                                        > the last people to approach Sri Chinmoy.
                                        >
                                        > As I approached, I was smiling widely, even breathlessly,
                                        > and with great happiness and relief. I was so thrilled that I had
                                        > not missed the opportunity to have a mug of mine blessed. In the
                                        lull,
                                        > Guru had started to turn his attention elsewhere. But when I
                                        > arrived before him, he turned, took one look at me, and burst into
                                        > huge smile as he tapped the mug with his hand!
                                        >
                                        > I make my husband a hot drink in that mug almost every morning. It
                                        > is fading from the dishwasher, and it has a chip out of it. But
                                        over
                                        > and over that mug makes me happy, reminding me of the smile that
                                        > came with it. Imagine, a mug that can bring so much joy!
                                        >
                                        > In oneness,
                                        > Sarah
                                      • piyasi29
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 1, 2005
                                          The postings on the smile remind me of a story.
                                          Years ago, when Guru was asked how we bring more seekers to our
                                          centre, he said simply "Smile". He then elaborated a little,
                                          explaining how when we offer someone a sincere smile, they really
                                          receive something from us.
                                          Piyasi

                                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                          > > about lunch and *ran* back to Aspiration-Ground, to be one of
                                          > > the last people to approach Sri Chinmoy.
                                          > >
                                          > > As I approached, I was smiling widely, even breathlessly,
                                          > > and with great happiness and relief. I was so thrilled that I had
                                          > > not missed the opportunity to have a mug of mine blessed. In the
                                          lull,
                                          > > Guru had started to turn his attention elsewhere. But when I
                                          > > arrived before him, he turned, took one look at me, and burst
                                          into a
                                          > > huge smile as he tapped the mug with his hand!
                                          > >
                                          > > I make my husband a hot drink in that mug almost every morning. It
                                          > > is fading from the dishwasher, and it has a chip out of it. But
                                          over
                                          > > and over that mug makes me happy, reminding me of the smile that
                                          > > came with it. Imagine, a mug that can bring so much joy!

                                        • piyasi29
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 1, 2005
                                            Does anyone remember one of Guru's writings entitled The Significance
                                            of a Smile? Does anyone know other books by Sri Chinmoy with passages
                                            or aphorisms on the smile? Please, could you tell me the title of the
                                            book?
                                            Piyasi
                                          • prashphutita
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 1, 2005
                                              Great stories, Sushmitam! Thank-you for sharing them with all of us.
                                              It's a good reminder for me as well, since (sometimes) I don't always
                                              smile (Life gets too serious & all that kind of stuff).

                                              Prashphutita (Melbourne)

                                              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sushmitam_r
                                              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                              > The main meaning of my name is smile, so I take a particular
                                              > interest in this topic! I remember once at a function, one of
                                              > the people who regularly brings food or messages to Sri
                                              > Chinmoy came up on stage to deliver something to him. As
                                              > usual she came over to where he was sitting and quietly
                                              > placed something on the table next to him and began to slip
                                              > away. (Or perhaps "melt away" is a better way to describe the
                                              > kind of selfless, serving attitude of those that perform this
                                              > role.) Anyway, at that moment Guru interrupted what he was
                                              > doing and spoke to her, asking her to smile. I had not
                                              > noticed that she was not smiling - she was just going about
                                              > her tasks as usual. But when she responded to his request
                                              > immediately by smiling, it was as though the sun had burst
                                              > forth! Her smile made such a profound difference! I have
                                              > learned that whenever Sri Chinmoy comments on somebody in
                                              > public, or asks them to do something in public, that there is
                                              > a message for all of us who are listening. Watching this
                                              > incident I felt such a powerful impact from this person's
                                              > smile, and was able to see and feel how the Supreme's light
                                              > is spread through a smile.
                                              >
                                              > In fact on another occasion I remember Guru answered a
                                              > question from someone about how they should spread the
                                              > Supreme's light, by saying words to the effect of "When you
                                              > buy your bread in the morning, smile at the shopkeeper"!
                                              >
                                              > Once too, Sri Chinmoy told his Australian students that he
                                              > wanted us to be happy. Then he added, "If you are not happy,
                                              > FORCE yourself to be happy. Look in the mirror and smile."
                                              > I've tried it - it works!
                                              >
                                              > Happy smiling everyone
                                              > Sushmitam
                                            • carr_terri
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 3, 2005
                                                Hi Piyasi,

                                                It just so happens that I am reading it now! It is a very enjoyable
                                                selection of questions and answers divided into topics like:

                                                A Childlike Heart, The Significance of a Smile, Gratitude and the
                                                Will of the Supreme. I was really enjoying it today.

                                                If you have a particular question about the book I would be happy to
                                                answer it if I can.

                                                Here is a short question and answer on the subject of joy.

                                                Question: How does joy help us?

                                                Sri Chinmoy: Every day, every hour, every minute, every second the
                                                seeker must know how to open the heart-door of the Supreme. He needs
                                                the key, and the name of this key is joy. When the seeker is happy,
                                                he not only has the key, but he is the key. The happier the seeker
                                                is, the easier it is for him to open up the heart-door of the
                                                Supreme. The key is most perfect when the seeker is the happiest of
                                                human beings.

                                                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, piyasi29
                                                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                                > Does anyone remember one of Guru's writings entitled The
                                                Significance
                                                > of a Smile? Does anyone know other books by Sri Chinmoy with
                                                passages
                                                > or aphorisms on the smile? Please, could you tell me the title of
                                                the
                                                > book?
                                                > Piyasi
                                              • beverly_canada
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 5, 2005
                                                  Thank-you, Terri, for this quotation on joy - a key to God's heart door!
                                                  Beverly

                                                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, carr_terri <
                                                  no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                                  > Hi Piyasi,
                                                  >
                                                  > It just so happens that I am reading it now! It is a very enjoyable
                                                  > selection of questions and answers divided into topics like:
                                                  >
                                                  > A Childlike Heart, The Significance of a Smile, Gratitude and the
                                                  > Will of the Supreme. I was really enjoying it today.
                                                  >
                                                  > If you have a particular question about the book I would be happy to
                                                  > answer it if I can.
                                                  >

                                                  > Here is a short question and answer on the subject of joy.
                                                  >

                                                  > Question: How does joy help us?
                                                  >
                                                  > Sri Chinmoy: Every day, every hour, every minute, every second the
                                                  > seeker must know how to open the heart-door of the Supreme. He needs
                                                  > the key, and the name of this key is joy. When the seeker is happy,
                                                  > he not only has the key, but he is the key. The happier the seeker
                                                  > is, the easier it is for him to open up the heart-door of the
                                                  > Supreme. The key is most perfect when the seeker is the happiest of
                                                  > human beings.
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, piyasi29
                                                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                                  > > Does anyone remember one of Guru's writings entitled The
                                                  > Significance
                                                  > > of a Smile? Does anyone know other books by Sri Chinmoy with
                                                  > passages
                                                  > > or aphorisms on the smile? Please, could you tell me the title of
                                                  > the
                                                  > > book?
                                                  > > Piyasi
                                                • sushmitam_r
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 7, 2005
                                                    Hi Piyasi
                                                    I keep a book of my favourite smile aphorisms and passages. There are lots scattered
                                                    through the 77000 Service Trees books (though that's probably not much help to
                                                    you!), quite a few in Daily Heart Blossoms Chapter 2 ("Earthly Happiness and Heavenly
                                                    Bliss", and a whole lot in a lovely little book called Fortune Philosophy.

                                                    Here's a few of my favourites-:

                                                    Our outer smile
                                                    is the giver of God as love.

                                                    The first duty of a God-seeker