More Altitude Sickness & Humility

  • natabara7
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2003
      It was only after failed attempts to eat, then a quite sleepless night did I emerge in the
      morning feeling better. It was a clear and beautiful day, and there were very few people
      in the camp.

      The camp consisted of two shelters that had bunks for for climbers to use -- we pitched
      our own tent.

      A group came down at about noon having reached the summit early in the morning. One
      boy had serious altitude sickness, and it was painful to watch him suffer. He looked
      extremely tired but restless -- he just couldn't escape the pain and finally broke down
      sobbing. Some people tried to take his mind off it, but it was no use. Luckily, I didn't
      think much of it -- I thought had my bout with it already (not knowing what was still in
      store for me...).

      We spent the day melting snow on flat rocks that faced the sun, collecting the dripping
      water in botttles and then taking them to either (1) boil with a portable gas stove and or
      (2) add iodine pellets or (3) chlorine drops. You either use up all your gas, get iodine-
      tasting water (and realize why no one would ever cook with iodine) or you get pool water
      to drink.

      When you are up that high in such conditions, it just matters that you have water!

      By afternoon I felt fine again, and I climbed up to a peak to meditate on the amazing
      panorama of moutains. You still find yourself a little short of breath, but it is so pure and
      pristine to be in such a location. I took pictures, but my camera failed to download
      properly... Renunciation was essential at that moment and everytime I think about it!

      We then packed up, had our dinner and settled down to rest for two hours until 11pm
      when we agreed to get up and get ready to leave by midnight for the summit...

      To Be Continued

      -Natabara