Function Highlights, April 2

  • arpan_deangelo
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2005
      Function Highlights, April 2

      The weekend of April 2 here in New York was very wet, cold and windy.
      That did not deter the willful runners who came out at 8:00 a.m. to
      run the weekly Self-Transcendence 2-mile Race around a local school.
      Nor did it prevent Sri Chinmoy to visit the race and offer a prayer
      and song to us after the race. The prayer and song are as follows:

      "Life and death, life and death, life and death.
      Death and life, death and life, death and life.
      Life conquers death
      To sing and play and dance
      With the ever-blossoming Beyond.

      Death conquers life,
      Not to torture,
      But to nurture
      The beauty of life's heart
      And the fragrance of life's soul."

      Later in the day we had a function it the Aspiration-Cottage.
      After talking about the importance of reading spiritual books, Sri
      Chinmoy called up his students who have a Christian background. As
      they meditated, he read out from a book of tributes to the two
      Catholic Popes who he has met: Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II.
      Mostly in honour of the latter, Sri Chinmoy highly praised this Pope
      who had passed away that very afternoon.

      After prasad (blessed food), various students came up to tell
      inspiring stories or good news. One story was about the Anniversary of
      a flower shop called Phulero Dola and a customer who came in regularly
      just to look at one of the photos of Sri Chinmoy. She is not a student
      of Sri Chinmoy but derives much joy and inspiration from this
      particular flower shop in Canada.

      After the stories, Sri Chinmoy inspired us by suggesting that we
      should place our `outer Guru' or `the mind', at the feet of our `inner
      Guru', who is none other that the Absolute
      Supreme. Our outer Guru gives us the most painful experiences every
      day. The inner Guru comes to us every day, every minute and every
      second to plead with us to be One with His Will in our outer life and
      in our inner life.

      The evening function that same day was `blessed' by a very windy and
      intermittent cold rain, shaking the tent and offering us a serenade of
      nature's powerful forces.
      The evening was dedicated to Ila, an elderly disciple who just passed
      away. After offering a message to Ila and having us view some very
      nice photos of her in a meditative walk-past, we sang with Sri
      Chinmoy, Paratha Sarathi, Jibaner Sheshe, and Phire Chalo,a song
      about the soul returning to its Eternal Home. We then sang a song
      recently written, called Jibaner Bhar Niyechile Tumi. It was suggested
      that this song be sung whenever a loved one passes away. The
      translation is as follows:

      "My Lord Beloved Supreme,
      You took the responsibility of my life
      And now You will be taking the responsibility of my death.
      In life and death you give me the shelter at Your Feet."

      We also sang a song for Ila called, `Ila Nirvik'.
      Then there were many short but inspiring, illumining and sometimes
      quite emotional stories about Ila and her many great qualities,
      especially how she loved to help others in need wherever she was in
      any part of the world. Sri Chinmoy then added quite a few significant
      comments and compliments about our beloved Ila, who will be sorely missed.

      Gratefully,
      Arpan
    • anitabusic
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
        Dear Arpan,

        Thank you, thank you, thank you a thousand times for sharing these
        news with us. Whenever you or Niriha post about the functions, I
        clearly get a feeling of the atmosphere, I feel that as if part of
        me is there. It is a feeling hard to describe.

        As I read this post today, I must say, I felt really very, very at
        peace, although the news were sad, two people have passed away - one
        whom the whole world would miss (our beloved Pope John Paul II) and
        another whom those who knew her shall dearly miss - Ila.

        Here in Croatia, when the Pope's death was confirmed, all churches
        rang their bells on Saturday evening, calling people to come and
        attend a mass (either at a church or at home watching the TV
        broadcast from Rome) or to simply pray wherever they are.

        These days were for me very special. So many people turned their
        minds to God, offered their prayers and good will. Even in his dying
        hours, the Pope has done a great service to mankind. How many
        people, regardless of faith, creed or race did he inspire to pray
        and thus lift their consciousness. I am awed at his soul's service
        to God. A sense of a peaceful gratitude is flowing through me. His
        sacrifice shines in the hearts of all true God-lovers. At least,
        this is my personal feeling.

        One of the things I admire most about my spiritual teacher, Sri
        Chinmoy, is that he always sees the best, the highest and the most
        beautiful in every human being. Not only with all the dignitaries
        whom he meets - like the two Popes, who always seem to be amazed
        when he composes a song for them highly praising their soul's
        qualities and who receive so much loving attention and appreciation
        from him, but also with everyday people, "little people" he always
        makes feel special. Thanks to him, I have discovered my own inner
        beauty, and you know what? It is blossoming before my very eyes.

        Sometimes people wonder, what is it that wants us to be with this
        Indian fellow? It is the feeling you get when you are with him. You
        feel, not just mentally believe, that you are God's beautiful child,
        cherished child. You feel loved unreservedly, and believe it or not,
        unconditionally as well. Imagine someone accepting you, without any
        criticism, just the way you are. Loving you, despite all of your
        weaknesses and imperfections. Seeing in you God's chosen child,
        seeing you more beautiful than you deem yourself to be.

        That is what draws us to Sri Chinmoy. Me and many others. It is a
        feeling I have never ever felt before in my life, and I just can't
        have enough of it. Once you taste nectar, you cannot but help to
        yearn for more.

        So, dear Arpan and Niriha, when you post your functions reports,
        this is what you evoke in me. I am reminded and even more, I once
        again feel these feelings of being loved and nurtured.

        Thank you once again,

        Anita

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, arpan_deangelo