Altitude Sickness & Humility

  • natabara7
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      My hat is off to the Sri Chinmoy Climbing Team who have climbed some of the
      highest peaks in the world. I have a new admiration for them -- I now understand
      just how difficult it can be, particularly with regard to adjusting to altitude.

      Approaching 10,000 feet, where we camped the first night, I started to feel my first
      bout of altitude sickness. It first hit me by becoming short of breath, and then just
      slow. It creeps up on you, because you are climbing with a 50 pound pack on your
      back and you can't gage whether you are just tired or something else is happening.

      I kept looking up for the camp, wondering "Where in the heck is it!". I then realized
      something was hitting me.

      Here is what you feel:

      - Your brain is quietly trying to expand out of your skull...

      - Your brain stops working and functions at about 30%...

      - You are short of breath, and that alone reminds you of just how fragile you are as a
      human being. Your life is based on breathing air, and suddenly that source of life is
      cut short. This is a humbling phenomenon.

      - You are really getting tired and irritable at this point, and all you want to do is stop,
      but...

      - Your head won't let you relax or rest properly -- it wants to remind you that you are
      suffering...

      All this compounds to make you feel miserable, and thankfully my climbing mates
      shined with true spiritual colors as they pitched the tent and even blew up my
      sleeping mat for me to finally plop down upon. My heart goes out to them even now.

      TO BE CONTINUED

      -Natabara
    • peacephila
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
        I have always wondered about the altitude sickness and what it is like
        to experience it. You gave a very good description that has satisfied
        my curiosity :) Now, I don't think I want to climb above 10,000 feet.
        Sandesh

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, natabara7
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > My hat is off to the Sri Chinmoy Climbing Team who have climbed some
        of the
        > highest peaks in the world. I have a new admiration for them -- I
        now understand
        > just how difficult it can be, particularly with regard to adjusting
        to altitude.

        > Approaching 10,000 feet, where we camped the first night, I started
        to feel my first
        > bout of altitude sickness. It first hit me by becoming short of
        breath, and then just
        > slow. It creeps up on you, because you are climbing with a 50 pound
        pack on your
        > back and you can't gage whether you are just tired or something else
        is happening.

        > I kept looking up for the camp, wondering "Where in the heck is
        it!". I then realized
        > something was hitting me.
        >
        > Here is what you feel:
        >
        > - Your brain is quietly trying to expand out of your skull...
        >
        > - Your brain stops working and functions at about 30%...
        >
        > - You are short of breath, and that alone reminds you of just how
        fragile you are as a
        > human being. Your life is based on breathing air, and suddenly that
        source of life is
        > cut short. This is a humbling phenomenon.
        >
        > - You are really getting tired and irritable at this point, and all
        you want to do is stop,
        > but...
        >
        > - Your head won't let you relax or rest properly -- it wants to
        remind you that you are
        > suffering...
        >
        > All this compounds to make you feel miserable, and thankfully my
        climbing mates
        > shined with true spiritual colors as they pitched the tent and even
        blew up my
        > sleeping mat for me to finally plop down upon. My heart goes out to
        them even now.

        > TO BE CONTINUED
        >

        > -Natabara
      • natabara7
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2003
          It was only after failed attempts to eat, then a quite sleepless night did I emerge in the
          morning feeling better. It was a clear and beautiful day, and there were very few people
          in the camp.

          The camp consisted of two shelters that had bunks for for climbers to use -- we pitched
          our own tent.

          A group came down at about noon having reached the summit early in the morning. One
          boy had serious altitude sickness, and it was painful to watch him suffer. He looked
          extremely tired but restless -- he just couldn't escape the pain and finally broke down
          sobbing. Some people tried to take his mind off it, but it was no use. Luckily, I didn't
          think much of it -- I thought had my bout with it already (not knowing what was still in
          store for me...).

          We spent the day melting snow on flat rocks that faced the sun, collecting the dripping
          water in botttles and then taking them to either (1) boil with a portable gas stove and or
          (2) add iodine pellets or (3) chlorine drops. You either use up all your gas, get iodine-
          tasting water (and realize why no one would ever cook with iodine) or you get pool water
          to drink.

          When you are up that high in such conditions, it just matters that you have water!

          By afternoon I felt fine again, and I climbed up to a peak to meditate on the amazing
          panorama of moutains. You still find yourself a little short of breath, but it is so pure and
          pristine to be in such a location. I took pictures, but my camera failed to download
          properly... Renunciation was essential at that moment and everytime I think about it!

          We then packed up, had our dinner and settled down to rest for two hours until 11pm
          when we agreed to get up and get ready to leave by midnight for the summit...

          To Be Continued

          -Natabara