Re: OT Apostrophes and web pages to Shane

  • niriha7
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 9:42 PM
      Shane, it WAS because I was replying to you that my use of
      apostrophes went completely berserk (see post #11719)!!! Look at
      this quote from a posting of yours (#11700): "Now, youll find this
      essay in Mahabaratised form on my web page, but even with the added
      flickers and flourishes I still dont think youll...."

      I vaguely remembered our former Assistant Moderator imploring you to
      use apostrophes. I sure hope he does not or did not see this post of
      yours as it is recent, proving to him that the lesson did not sink
      in. Yikes! Maybe this was the proverbial "straw that broke..."
      since this sample of your writing (which I always enjoy by the way)
      was just before he quit.

      What IS it with you and apostrophes? I think it is so funny that in
      my message to you, the apostrophes were completely haywire. Maybe
      there really are leprechauns that for whatever reasons, really do
      steal apostrophes. How else can we explain a perfectly intelligent,
      creative person such as yourself displaying such abysmal mistakes in
      your writing? Actually, I guess it was the "borrowers" that took
      your apostrophes and then mine since I was writing to you.

      Regarding web pages: there seems to be a trend developing that when
      someone develops a web page, they do not write on the Inspiration
      Site any more. I noticed this to be the case with Jagata and it
      seems that Sumangali is heading in that direction as well. The
      problem with making it an either/or proposition is that this site
      (which is more widely read than individual web pages I would guess)
      loses some excellent writers. I am so grateful that Shardul posted a
      message alerting the readers of the Inspiration Site that Jagata had
      posted those excellent articles on his (Jagata's) web page.

      My argument for having a web page as well as continuing to contribute
      here is: I am not sure that most people even know how to find
      people's individual web pages or for that matter who even has web
      pages to be found; I do not know how often readers would be able to
      check someone's web page for new entries; I feel this site has a
      wider audience. That said, what is the URL for your web page? I did
      not know you had one. Niriha
    • shane_dublincentre
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 1:35 AM
        Blelieve it or not I am actually making an honest effort to check for
        apostrophers, but my checking can somewtimes leave a lot to be
        desired! Many's the time I've had a look over a surface I've just
        wiped and pronounced it clean, only for someone to come along behind
        me and spot some blotch I missed. Sometimes I'll check a thing two or
        three times because I just don't trust myself the first.

        About the web pages, I do notice the coincidence, but it's certainly
        no substitute for the group. Most of the stuff I put on the web page
        came from what ever could be salvaged from here in article form -
        disturbingly little, you'll find. I rarely initiate a topic on the
        group - most of what I have to say is in response to something someone
        else brought up, and that kind of stimulus you don't get on a web page...

        There definitely is an issue with publicising webpages which could be
        brought to the notice of the Webmasters on High...

        Anyway to get to mine go to the main Irish Centre Site:

        www.srichinmoycentre.org/ie

        and then click on "Members' Homepages" on the left hand side; you'll
        find a few of us there. I'll try and get the young fella to do one
        after his exams are finished, he's been posting some good stuff here
        of late.

        Shane

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7