To the AM and Sumangali

  • shane_dublincentre
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Dear Sumangali and AM,

      No suitable expression of thanks to the pair of you for what you have
      done here had found its way to me yet, I'm relying it to pop out
      naturally of its own accord in the middle of the post somewhere....

      It is a little unfortunate that the pair of you went at the same time,
      but nobody plans these things. I think this group of posters is a
      transitory one by nature - if one clicks on messages twelve months
      later one finds completely different faces posting than those posting
      now. Maybe that's as it should be, that this group is a forum for
      people to find their wings of expression before moving on to greener
      pastures, or even to get out a few things they really badly needed to
      say before diving deep within again. (Sumangali, I do hope those
      greener pastures will include a wider audience for your work and way
      of expressing things.)

      The temptation is to imagine that with the loss of such an amazing
      moderator and one of our best posters, all is in danger of going
      pear-shaped...I have reason to think otherwise. Let me try to explain
      why.

      First of all, some might take the fact that there's only a dozen or so
      regular contributors as a sign of a group's fragility; I wouldn't. I
      had occasion to talk to another frequent poster to this group a few
      months ago, and she reckoned everyone in the group had their own
      niches that they occupied. Hence my interpretation would be that if a
      newcomer to the group had a very similar style to a long-time poster,
      he/she might say "Oh, he/she's doing that kind to thing already, and
      doing it much better." I wouldn't even try to put names on these
      niches, I only have a kind of subtle feeling about them, but I do know
      the room begins to get crowded after a dozen or so, and it becomes
      hard to find a new niche from which to express yourself comfortably.
      Of course, a group like this should aspire to facilitate different
      people writing from the same niche in a spirit of non-competitiveness,
      but our imperfect human nature being what it is... I can definitely
      think of a few people who have struggled to find their voice here
      despite their best of intentions.

      I'm not saying that now Sumangali's wandered off for a little bit
      there's going to be a horde of previously repressed would-be
      Sumangalis scrapping it out for the title of 'Handmaiden to Nature's
      Beauty'...I think I'm saying rather that with a change of AM, these
      niches might get juggled around a bit, and new people might find a
      comfortable arena in which to express themselves (conversely, some old
      timers might find it tough going... :) ).

      Anyway this niche thing is only a metaphor, but it encourages me to
      look at the changes here with optimism, whilst still appreciating the
      magnitude of the AM and Sumangali's contribution to the group over the
      past year. I'm looking forward to seeing the AM as an occasional
      poster - understandably, his writing talents were somewhat constrained
      to trying give direction to this group during his tenure as moderator,
      so it will be a wonderful thing if he can 'let rip', as they say.

      I think also it's worthwhile reminding people that this group has an
      audience considerably bigger than what most of us imagine it has, and
      that the group makes a daily difference to hundreds of people we will
      never even meet.

      Shane

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, srichinmoyinspiration

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
        Change is the only constant - a timeless truth of course, but one that
        nonetheless catches me by surprise every time. I fancy myself the
        flexible sort, with so many years of meditation under my belt, but
        life's transitoriness gets me every time. For instance, with a new
        boss at the helm, my job of umpteen years changed from top to bottom.
        Rather than being flexible, the reality was that the changes in my job
        didn't feel easy at all. Of course, now I'm settled into the different
        flow.

        Viewing change with optimism - Shane, I like this perspective in your
        message as a way to not feel like we're already picking the pear off
        the tree as changes happen here in the group :-). As a regular reader
        and contributor, I offer appreciation to the new moderators taking up
        the helm! And it goes without saying that as Shane put it, "no
        suitable expression of thanks" or well-deserved golden parachute can
        be found for the former AM's obvious hard work during his tenure.

        Gratefully,
        Sharani

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > "Do you want to see the Golden Shores of
        > > the Beyond?
        > > The city has played its role;
        > > There is nothing left for you there.
        > > Become a seafaring man!
        > > Sail with us from shore to shore
        > > Gathering the weary souls who have seen
        > > everything but Truth.
        > > Leave behind your father's skeleton
        > > And the girl with the long black hair
        > > Who sang a cherry tree carol
        > > But would never pray,
        > > Not even by accident."
        > >
        > > Now singing "Kanu, Kanu,"
        > > A song of the child Krishna,
        > > They enchant everyone with innocent fun.
        > > The once-distant strains
        > > Now sound within my very heart,
        > > And my soul is traveling
        > > Far, far down the water
        > > Where all boats and all travelers meet
        > > In Immortality's effulgence-sun.
        > >

        > > *Sri Ramakrishna, the Thakur of Dakineshwar
      • priyadarshan44
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
          I do not think I will ever be able to find words to express
          the feeling of awe and gratitude inspired by the AM's
          unreserved service to all of us. I know, though, that thanks
          to him I came to know so much more about gratitude per se.

          I am also very grateful to the new moderators. I do not envy
          our brothers and sisters that will have to walk in the
          luminous example of our beloved AM.

          Thank you, dearest AM!

          Priyadarshan

          <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:

> [...]

          > > > "Do you want to see the Golden Shores of
          > > > the Beyond?
          > > > The city has played its role;
          > > > There is nothing left for you there.
          > > > Become a seafaring man!
          > > > Sail with us from shore to shore
          > > > Gathering the weary souls who have seen
          > > > everything but Truth.
          > > > Leave behind your father's skeleton
          > > > And the girl with the long black hair
          > > > Who sang a cherry tree carol
          > > > But would never pray,
          > > > Not even by accident."
          > > >
          > > > Now singing "Kanu, Kanu,"
          > > > A song of the child Krishna,
          > > > They enchant everyone with innocent fun.
          > > > The once-distant strains
          > > > Now sound within my very heart,
          > > > And my soul is traveling
          > > > Far, far down the water
          > > > Where all boats and all travelers meet
          > > > In Immortality's effulgence-sun.
          > > >

          > > > *Sri Ramakrishna, the Thakur of Dakineshwar
        • doriscott20002000
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
            Dear Priyadarshan,

            Allow me to claim your words as my own. I didn't have the time to
            really reply to the P.M.'s (:-) parting words, because I can use the
            internet only at noon for a couple of minutes. There are always
            people standing behind me who have to use it for business purposes.

            Spontaniously I said a few words but they were not published.

            Doris

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, priyadarshan44
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > magnitude of the AM and Sumangali's contribution to the group
            over
            > > the
            > > > past year. I'm looking forward to seeing the AM as an
            occasional
            > > > poster - understandably, his writing talents were somewhat
            > > constrained
            > > > to trying give direction to this group during his tenure as
            > > moderator,
            > > > so it will be a wonderful thing if he can 'let rip', as they
            say.

            > > > I think also it's worthwhile reminding people that this group
            has
            > an
            > > > audience considerably bigger than what most of us imagine it
            has,
            > > and
            > > > that the group makes a daily difference to hundreds of people

          • suchana27
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
              Dear AM,

              This time I am inspired to say that: